Shabazz waiting for the Big East schedule to decide to play the whole game? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Shabazz waiting for the Big East schedule to decide to play the whole game?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Is that really the best you can do? Pathetic! My initial post was a recognition of a "fact" that has been part of most games this season. This team needs Shabazz' offense for 40 minutes. I was and am acknowledging not only his talent but how it impacts this particular UConn team. And, of course, the morons come out of the woodwork twisting words and intent. You miss the point and offer nothing more than the usual drivel instead of an intelligent discussion. He had a balanced score sheet; BUT, THIS team needs his points. We have no reason to believe, right now, that DeAndre will do what he did tonight consistently. Try to step up to discussion level; and God forbid, don't hurt yourself.

GO HUSKIES!!! BEAT THE HAWKS!!!

They won. So in THIS game, he scored plenty of points. So I don't understand your point. The op referenced Napier not playing the whole game....again, a point I don't understand. I think it is a sign of maturity and growth that the point guard realizes when he needs to get to ball to the hot hand, and when he needs to score. He has scored plenty this year, when they needed him.

joober jones

Finally Non-Fat Guy
Reaction Score
Actually I wasn't being sarcastic towards your post but was responding to the opening post - I thought - such is the stuff of someone who doesn't post much.
Oh ok no problem. No real trouble ever brews here except when a certain mumu comes into discussion.

jleves

Awesomeness
Reaction Score
Is that really the best you can do? Pathetic! My initial post was a recognition of a "fact" that has been part of most games this season. This team needs Shabazz' offense for 40 minutes. I was and am acknowledging not only his talent but how it impacts this particular UConn team. And, of course, the morons come out of the woodwork twisting words and intent. You miss the point and offer nothing more than the usual drivel instead of an intelligent discussion. He had a balanced score sheet; BUT, THIS team needs his points. We have no reason to believe, right now, that DeAndre will do what he did tonight consistently. Try to step up to discussion level; and God forbid, don't hurt yourself.

Actually, your idea that they need double digit points from him every night is completely rebuked by his performance tonight. You see, they actually won without him scoring all night long. He got people involved and dished out easy baskets for others all game long. When DD isn't finishing or Boat isn't basically able to hit anything he tosses up, sure you need Napier to step up the scoring. Tonight, those guys were getting it done and he was facilitating that. Exactly what you want to see from your lead guard. He also had a couple of threes that were halfway down before coming out. Great shots taken when they should be and only barely off (Giffey had one too). But as they weren't, he made great assists to guys whose shot was falling. I just have no idea how anyone could watch this game - his attitude, his intensity, his defense and his running the team and be unhappy with his performance. Kind of ridiculous. As Rico said, possibly his best game as a Husky and I totally agree.

Inyatkin

Stairway to Seven
Reaction Score
Napier: "I saw DeAndre's eyes light up, and I didn't want to take it away from him ... knew I had to keep getting him the ball."
Kind of explains it right there.

Reaction Score
Actually, your idea that they need double digit points from him every night is completely rebuked by his performance tonight. You see, they actually won without him scoring all night long. He got people involved and dished out easy baskets for others all game long. When DD isn't finishing or Boat isn't basically able to hit anything he tosses up, sure you need Napier to step up the scoring. Tonight, those guys were getting it done and he was facilitating that. Exactly what you want to see from your lead guard. He also had a couple of threes that were halfway down before coming out. Great shots taken when they should be and only barely off (Giffey had one too). But as they weren't, he made great assists to guys whose shot was falling. I just have no idea how anyone could watch this game - his attitude, his intensity, his defense and his running the team and be unhappy with his performance. Kind of ridiculous. As Rico said, possibly his best game as a Husky and I totally agree.

My comments were focused only on the first half(which, you can't deny, has been an issue in much more than this game). He had four assists and, I believe, only 1 shot attempt. I am very happy with his game tonight when all is said and done; and I have never criticized his talent which was on display in several areas tonight. I am concerned that one of the two dominant offensive talents on a team starved for consistent offensive production from the 3-4-5 positions has contributed far below his capabilities in the first halves of several games this year. This is nothing new and is well documented. But, having raised the issue, I'm being accused of bashing a player who, in my opening post, I described as being "a game changer anytime he wants to be". Pardon me if I don't get the connections some of the posters in this thread are making.

jleves

Awesomeness
Reaction Score
My comments were focused only on the first half(which, you can't deny, has been an issue in much more than this game). He had four assists and, I believe, only 1 shot attempt. I am very happy with his game tonight when all is said and done; and I have never criticized his talent which was on display in several areas tonight. I am concerned that one of the two dominant offensive talents on a team starved for consistent offensive production from the 3-4-5 positions has contributed far below his capabilities in the first halves of several games this year. This is nothing new and is well documented. But, having raised the issue, I'm being accused of bashing a player who, in my opening post, I described as being "a game changer anytime he wants to be". Pardon me if I don't get the connections some of the posters in this thread are making.

I guess we're saying we weren't concerned with his first half. Looked like he was playing well, hard, good defense and still running the offense even if he wasn't taking shots. He was fine tonight from wire to wire. I do agree that when he hits the switch, he is a game changer. I prefer him not to have to hit the switch and carry the team. I think what he is doing now will pay huge dividends down the road.

Reaction Score
I guess we're saying we weren't concerned with his first half. Looked like he was playing well, hard, good defense and still running the offense even if he wasn't taking shots. He was fine tonight from wire to wire. I do agree that when he hits the switch, he is a game changer. I prefer him not to have to hit the switch and carry the team. I think what he is doing now will pay huge dividends down the road.

If we had more balanced, consistent point production, I would definitely be less concerned. I know KO is trying to build confidence in players like Olander(who got extended minutes after some better productivity in 2nd half), and using Shabazz more as a distributor to get others involved and build that confidence could very well be part of the plan. I know KO has talked about Shabazz' 1st half drop offs(for lack of a better term), so it would be an interesting question to ask him. The risk, right now, for me, is that many games against "lesser" opposition, have become unnecessarily competitive when Shabazz' offensive contributions come late in the game. Losses waiting to happen so to speak. It is clear that he sees his role as "more offensive" against some of the bigger names on the schedule to date. The stats bear that out I think. I would like to understand why the level of the competition changes his approach. If it is by (KO's) design, I can live with that. IF not???

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
Some of you guys just don't have a clue.

Napier is a damn good player and one of the handful of guys that stuck it out at UConn.

Can we just pin a thread about Napier so we don't have to hear this BS clutter the board every game?

Reaction Score
Plus, and not to make too fine a point of this, but this year's team doesn't necessarily need anything. It ain't going anywhere. Any development we get from DD and Omar might benefit next year, though.

Now that doesn't mean nothing matters at all - KO needs a job, we need to look like a team that has future potential to attract recruits (and conferences), and there's old fashioned pride. Plus Bazz needs to develop his game for future earnings potential. But in terms of whether this team is making satisfactory development towards it's end goal, that's really closer to 15 months away than three (KO and RJ Evans being exceptions), so if Bazz works on being a facilitator in some games, or in parts of some games, that's fine. If he stands around doing nothing, that's one thing, but if he's passing up his own good looks to move the ball and give others a chance to make plays against a scrambling defense, especially in non-crunch time moments, that's good for us in the long term..

Sent from my BlackBerry 9930 using Tapatalk

Reaction Score
What's more important, feeding the hot hand Daniels and building his confidence leading into the BE, or putting up shots and getting your 18 points while sending the message that playing better will not result in more touches on offense?

Reaction Score
This kid is a game changer any time he wants to be. I don't get it. Is there a part of his psyche that wants to be the hero rushing to the rescue in the second half? I am at a loss............Between his level of play and Olander's ongoing ineptness we are making games competitive that really shouldn't be. Thank God for Daniels tonight.

GO HUSKIES!!! BEAT THE CRIMSON!!!
This may be the dumped thing ever posted here. Kid had 7 boards, 9 assists, 4 steals and only one turnover. But you're right he probably did all that so he had a chance to play hero at the end, it's just too bad Harvard couldn't get it going so he never had the chance

Reaction Score
His players' performance on the finals is his long-term contract.

Do we all really believe this? Come on now--he's a basketball coach!!

Reaction Score
This may be the dumped thing ever posted here. Kid had 7 boards, 9 assists, 4 steals and only one turnover. But you're right he probably did all that so he had a chance to play hero at the end, it's just too bad Harvard couldn't get it going so he never had the chance

I have to apologize for making "the dumped thing ever posted here." Clearly, if you even have the capability to comprehend the kind of discussion I was trying to initiate, especially my last post in this thread, I want to understand what motivates Shabazz and how KO sees his role in the offense. There was never, for anyone understanding the language, any attempt to denigrate Shabazz' many talents. Here is a link from today's Connecticut Post article specifically addressing his role and his mindset. It offers a whole lot of answers and certainly helps me understand much more what's happening every time this team takes the court.

Reaction Score
I have to apologize for making "the dumped thing ever posted here." Clearly, if you even have the capability to comprehend the kind of discussion I was trying to initiate, especially my last post in this thread, I want to understand what motivates Shabazz and how KO sees his role in the offense. There was never, for anyone understanding the language, any attempt to denigrate Shabazz' many talents. Here is a link from today's Connecticut Post article specifically addressing his role and his mindset. It offers a whole lot of answers and certainly helps me understand much more what's happening every time this team takes the court.
You don't get it. That linked article doesn't justify what you wrote. People are not taking offense to your observation that Bazz has slow first halves. It's that you implied that he does this rope-a-dope thing in the first half so that he can come on strong in the second to come out as the hero. That's not only bat-crap-crazy but is an accusation that Bazz is a selfish player, which in fact, contradicts the primary point in the article you linked.

In addition to trashing Napier's level of play, as you put it, you trashed Olander, refering to his ongoing ineptness. It's these player trashing comments that fans here are calling you out on. You have some good insights, but you need to man-up and either stick to your guns and take the criticism or admit your conclusions were harsh and off base. Olander clearly had a bad stretch there, but I think most fans here have been plesantly surprised at how much he's improved since last season. He's a 4 who is forced to play mainly the 5. Give the guy a break. He had a much better 2nd half. This team has only a few guys who can even play the 5, one of which is a freshman who's just not ready. We need TO and EW to play well and props to KO, who recognized that he needed to get TO's confidence back so that he has two solid options at the 5.

My initial reaction when I saw TO turn it over a bunch of times and Harvard charging right back into that game, was to take him out and bring Wolf back. But for the very reason I just mentioned, I recognize KO's maturity as a coach. We all need to be reminded at times, the Big Picture! Getting back to point above, just throttle back on the player bashing, and you'll be better received. I'm not saying you can't provide some player criticisms but implying that a player is selfish (your hero idea) and inept (your own words) is harsh and a bit crazy.

Reaction Score
I will admit to a poor choice of words in Bazz' case. Did not think I was being the slightest bit harsh re: Tyler. Was not using the linked article to justify my comments. You have it very wrong there. The linked article was simply to indicate that,after reading it, I had a much better understanding of what is going on on the floor re: how Bazz sees the game and his relationship with his teammates. Nothing more, nothing less. I have no problem being "called out" or disagreed with but I do have a real problem with posters who have nothing to offer but insults. It that regard this board hasn't changed much; and, if fact, has gotten much worse over the years. It is not too difficult to open a thread on any given day and read a steady stream of name calling and really childish behavior. Probably not much different than any other message board for any sport you can name; but a very sad commentary nonetheless.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog