Shabazz Napier to | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Shabazz Napier to

Reaction Score
People were quick to declare somebody who was the 24th overall pick and now on his third contract a bust. From that same draft, #9 (Noah Vonleh), #15 (Adreian Payne), #17 (James Young), #18 (Tyler Ennis), #20 (Bruno Carboclo), #21 (Mitch McGary), #22 (Jordan Adams), #26 (P.J. Hairston), #28 (C.J. Wilcox), and #29 (Josh Huestis) are all unsigned for next season. Additionally, only about three of the last ten other players to go in that slot have had legitimate NBA careers to this point (Reggie Jackson, Tim Hardaway, and Tyus Jones).

I never thought he'd be an NBA player when he got here as a freshman. Even now, I'm still impressed by his survival skills - he doesn't really fit the prototype has really just hung around because he's too good to get rid of. I can picture teams bringing him into workout and just sort of sighing when he outplays their real prospects.

Reaction Score
I'll repeat this here . . . and every time this comes up. Because I feel that strongly about it.
Shabazz Napier is the THE greatest Husky of all time.
Played significant minutes as a Frosh backing Kemba - was a critical piece to our 2011 ship. STAYED during the Ollie transition, allowing us to stay relevant. Pretty much threw the team on his back down the stretch and brought us #4.
If you take him out, we definitely don't have 4 and maybe don't have 3.
Greatest Husky ever, and I love the rest (Allen, El Amin, Hamilton, Kemba, Okafor, and so on).

Wordbomar

"Walker on McGee with four.."
Reaction Score
I'll repeat this here . . . and every time this comes up. Because I feel that strongly about it.
Played significant minutes as a Frosh backing Kemba - was a critical piece to our 2011 ship. STAYED during the Ollie transition, allowing us to stay relevant. Pretty much threw the team on his back down the stretch and brought us #4.
Greatest Husky ever, and I love the rest (Allen, El Amin, Hamilton, Kemba, Okafor, and so on).

It’s a fun argument. I don’t think anybody would disagree that he is the most important Husky in our history because of the role he played in building the legacy of our program in his four years in storrs. The “greatest” husky not so sure. But he’s definetly top 5.

Reaction Score

If you take Jeremy Lamb out you don’t have a 3rd or Boat no 4th. No doubt what he did was simply amazing he was the key to 4 but like all of the NCs so many pieces for it to happen besides the obvious Rips, Emekas, Kembas and Bazzs. There’s an argument for quite a few Huskies some who played well before all the recent successes. Being a major piece in 2 of them certainly gives you serious consideration for having the winner. It’s a fun debate I’m not even sure I could actually single anyone out.

Reaction Score
Absolute love Shabazz I’m just a Knicks fan.
You missed the joke. Willie was asking what Bazz did to you for you to want him to suffer in a Knicks uniform. I’m looking forward to seeing more of his games now.

Reaction Score
If you take Jeremy Lamb out you don’t have a 3rd or Boat no 4th.
Come on Mau. We've been doing this for about 7 or 8 years now. My point was, "the guy was an important part of 11 and THE reason we won 14." So that's two. You cannot seriously counter with, "yeah but these two guys were important to 1."

I get why Shabazz doesn't get more votes in the "greatest Husky ever" poll. It's part legitimate argument, and part the guy just doesn't look the part.

I mean, you've got a guy like Ben Freaking Gordon, with 40" vertical, tremendous athleticism, incredible long ball. You've got Ray Allen - one of the greatest shooters in the history of the planet. Had his own movie.

Shabazz - undersized. Don't recall him ever dunking. Not particularly athletic. Didn't make a big splash in the NBA.

I get it. It's tough to vote for somebody for homecoming queen when there are multiple hotter chicks in the running.

Not just 2 natties, one of which has his name carved in it for the ridiculous hero-ball he played and the other of which he played significant important minutes as a Frosh. He also kept the program together during the beginning of our darkest time, pulling a Natty out of the jaws of the dark beast that Ollie created, on the way down, while most of us didn't suspect the rot that was about to set in.

Reaction Score
Come on Mau. We've been doing this for about 7 or 8 years now. My point was, "the guy was an important part of 11 and THE reason we won 14." So that's two. You cannot seriously counter with, "yeah but these two guys were important to 1."

I get why Shabazz doesn't get more votes in the "greatest Husky ever" poll. It's part legitimate argument, and part the guy just doesn't look the part.

I mean, you've got a guy like Ben Freaking Gordon, with 40" vertical, tremendous athleticism, incredible long ball. You've got Ray Allen - one of the greatest shooters in the history of the planet. Had his own movie.

Shabazz - undersized. Don't recall him ever dunking. Not particularly athletic. Didn't make a big splash in the NBA.

I get it. It's tough to vote for somebody for homecoming queen when there are multiple hotter chicks in the running.

Not just 2 natties, one of which has his name carved in it for the ridiculous hero-ball he played and the other of which he played significant important minutes as a Frosh. He also kept the program together during the beginning of our darkest time, pulling a Natty out of the jaws of the dark beast that Ollie created, on the way down, while most of us didn't suspect the rot that was about to set in.

Not sure I disagreed???

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
The new Nets management seems to have its together, so this might not be the career disaster many of you are predicting it to be.

I really like what he’s done recently.

From drafting levert and Allen, to using cap space to get picks from teams like Denver and getting Russell from the lakers.

Plus he got Harris and dinwiddie off the scrap heap for peanuts.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
The new Nets management seems to have its together, so this might not be the career disaster many of you are predicting it to be.

I think Nets fans are (and should be) happy with the direction of the franchise under Marks.

Now that they're done tanking on behalf of the Celts, I'm rooting for them as a Brooklynite.

Reaction Score
Don’t you know ... Shabazz coached the 2014 National Championship

UconnU

Demolish the XL center.
Reaction Score
Shabazz - This sums it up for me as one of the Greatest Huskies:

The run off the court to locker room is awesome.

ps Dan H - show that clip to recruits.

Love love love playing big out of conference opponents at Gampel. I believe we have Arizona coming in this year. Would be a huge win for the program! Like that Texas game when they came in ranked #1(2?) in the country years back.

Edward Sargent

Sargelak
Reaction Score
Here's a slightly biased take:

The team boils down to a very promising young center, talented yet extremely inconsistent wing players, and two interesting combo guards; D'Angelo Russell showed that getting out of LA was great for his game, but he's made of glass, and Spencer Dinwiddie played well above his means last year but I'm not quite sold on his ability to do that over the long haul.

Aside from Joe Harris, the bench is weak as heck. We literally have no guard depth to speak of. A couple more guys will probably come in, but he has an excellent shot at carving out a large role. Out of the three PGs on the roster currently, Bazz is by far the best outside shooter. My inclination is that offense will be the key to get him entrenched in the rotation.

It's a 4th/5th place team, but by no means are they at the absolute cellar.
And a great venue

Reaction Score

I'm cool with not being able to single out just one Husky player as the best of all time. There have been several players who could contend for this; better that they each share in a part of it.

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
Shabazz - This sums it up for me as one of the Greatest Huskies:

The run off the court to locker room is awesome.

ps Dan H - show that clip to recruits.

W/o going to archives, what time of yr was that game?

December.

Great game.

but I'm still trying to figure out how they won the rematch after scoring 4 points for literally about the first 27% of the game.

Reaction Score
Great game.

but I'm still trying to figure out how they won the rematch after scoring 4 points for literally about the first 27% of the game.

From the 9 minute mark of the Florida first half through the 6 minute mark of the Kentucky first half might be the greatest stretch in program history. They outscored Florida and Kentucky 89-52 over a span of about 43 minutes.

The three minute mark of the Duke game through whenever we took our foot off against Tech has to be up there, too, but that was as a favorite. We knocked Florida and Kentucky out cold as what, a combined 10-point underdog?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom