Shabazz is turning into one of the all time greats to wear a UConn jersey | The Boneyard

Shabazz is turning into one of the all time greats to wear a UConn jersey

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Very impressed with Napier's performance tonight. He has turned into THE go to guy fast. How many times has he hit the big shots all year? I remember after he committed and early in his career he was compared to Khalid by some of us just on personality alone. After 3 years he has showed hes got the swagger and skill and plays 110% every time out there. I really hope he comes back next year because if he does...thats a bad sign for the other teams in the Big East as well as the country.

Reaction Score
He's got a long way to go to top that list, but if you asked me two years ago, I thought he'd be more likely to be next to Rashad Anderson and Kevin Freeman (players who I love) than in potentially with Gordon and El-Amin.

That said, he's gotta have a deep run as the best player to vault himself high (he's still behind Gordon and KEA and others).

Reaction Score
He is making a case to be mentioned with the likes of Khalid, Ricky, and Ben. Way more than I expected from him a few years back.

Reaction Score
He is the reason we have a season this year. He carried the torch between the Calhoun and Ollie era when others left out of fear. The kid has all the respect and admiration from me as a fan as any of the greats. His game needs more development but if he stays and takes us on a deep run next year the name Shabazz should always be held as high as those of Kemba, RIP, Ricky, Okafor and Ray.

Reaction Score
He will be a Husky great regardless of how they do next year if he returns. He played a major role in 2011 and is the heart of this year's team. He embodies all that it means to be a Husky.

Reaction Score
Huskydad, couldn't agree more. Shabazz is a true Husky.

g_smith

made my username before I noticed the UConn theme
Reaction Score
Our team is an anomaly in that we really aren't better than most teams.. we just play better. And Shabazz is that guy that can be clutch at the right times to take us next level. Hope he sticks around for next year.

Dogbreath2U

RIP, DB2U
Reaction Score
It's not his fault there is no postseason this year. He has put on a amazing show of taking over games, dominating overtime all by himself....he has become much better than I thought possible. He has moved into the upper echelon of UConn point guards in my book. I want him to come back so I can watch what else he can do, for totally selfish reasons. He would get a kick out of trying to pull a Kemba. Whatever he does, he has made this season an amazingly fun one!

caw

Reaction Score
It's a shame UConn isn't eligible because Shabazz would have a great chance to explode in the NCAAT.

UChusky916

Making the board a little less insufferable
Reaction Score
Seems like a bit of Kemba wore off on him... he's got the same ability to carry the team and will it to victory.

The kid has progressed at an incredible rate. As others have mentioned (huskydad), he's already earned my respect by 'passing the torch' and getting the program through a low-point and a time of transition.

He really needs to stay next year. He's not getting the publicity he deserves. We all know how good he is, but the rest of the country needs to be made aware. How the HELL was he snubbed for the Cousy nomination!? A deep postseason run next year will show the country how good this kid is. I hope he keeps playing with the chip on his shoulder.

Reaction Score
Fine. I'll be the one that says it.

Love watching him....but not even in the discussion right now of all time Husky greats. Put the beer down and drop the hyperbole.

Reaction Score
Yeah- that saying a lot but he has a set of giant balls. If he stayed in school next year he could work his way fairly far up that list.

mets1090

Probably returning some video tapes...
Reaction Score
60.67 points per 40 minutes of OT for Bazz.

What?

Reaction Score
I don't think he plays like kemba. unfortunately we could have won in regulation if he hit a diagonal to a wide open Calhoun after his penetration. Napiers such a great shooter though...I think I renege my statements in past threads we should let boat bring it up and allow bazz to combo guard

OkaForPrez

Really Popular Poster
Reaction Score
I watched OT from the 2nd row behind the Cinci bench. I'm not sure the average yarder realizes how gassed Bazz is in these OT's. On the defensive end early in OT Bazz was guarding the low post so he didn't have to move. He was literarily gasping like a fish out of water. For him to bury clutch shots like he has all year playing the minutes he has is incredible. Bazz isn't perfect, but he's close to it with the game on the line. And I'd put him in the starting 5 of the all time tick tock team.

Reaction Score
Bazz is having a great year and has enough to be an NBA player and i see it as less than 50/50 that he returns. He could do pretty well in the draft, a Jason Kidd like guard. Boat as much as I like him does not have enough for the league at this point. Question, did Ray Allen have a better UCONN career than Bazz? i don't think so.

Reaction Score
I hope no one is forgetting the huge free throws Shabazz made to clinch the win against Kentucky in the semi finals in '11. Kid has been clutch for UConn since he was a freshman and was the reason Kemba was able to play off the ball and rest without leaving the game. No national championship in '11 without Shabazz and I don't even want to imagine what our record this year would be without him.

Reaction Score
Come on Shabazz is nothing like Kidd. First off Kidd is way bigger and a much better passer and rebounder, Bazz is a much better shooter than Kidd was coming into the league.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbie32

Top Bottom