Shabazz is it! | The Boneyard

Shabazz is it!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
http://grooveshark.com/s/Here+Comes+The+Champ/51ENpS?src=5

Shabazz is on the cusp of becoming my favorite all time Husky and surpassing Kemba. He has one NC and there is a good chance he gets 2. To me he is top 5 Husky of all time now. I love how he stood by the program when Alex and Roscoe departed. Kid has blue blood, kid is program first. From this fans perspective, Shabazz is it.

joober jones

Finally Non-Fat Guy
Reaction Score
Is this a reference to the "Coke is it!" ads from the 80s? I miss those greatly.

Reaction Score
It is a link to a song from NBA 2k video game from 2007. My oldest son and I played the game until controllers broke. :) Just a great song that was at the intro of the game. It was a great bball video game. Not overly complicated. The older I get the more complicated these games become and then the less fun because I become more worried about how to pass the damn ball then who to pass it to.

Reaction Score
http://grooveshark.com/s/Here+Comes+The+Champ/51ENpS?src=5

Shabazz is on the cusp of becoming my favorite all time Husky and surpassing Kemba. He has one NC and there is a good chance he gets 2. To me he is top 5 Husky of all time now. I love how he stood by the program when Alex and Roscoe departed. Kid has blue blood, kid is program first. From this fans perspective, Shabazz is it.
It's the sticking with the program when we were on the rocks. He has done everything right, so far.

Reaction Score
I've been out of the loop for a while, but is this team really positioned for a late run in the tourney?

Reaction Score
I've been out of the loop for a while, but is this team really positioned for a late run in the tourney?
In 2011 title team we had a leader but that team as a hole was less talented than this year. They had an okwandu down low we have olander -.0 ...if shabazz can be 85-90% the leader kemba was we win title #4 ... Oh we have a chip on our shoulders and have something to play for this year we r hungry

Reaction Score
Yes we are, we will have one of the top backcourts in the nation and the best point guard in the nation. Daniels is going to be a matchup nightmare for teams and we will have serious depth. The only concern is our bigs but all we need from them is rebounding, some blocks and outlet passing to start the fastbreak, we really don't need much scoring at all from them. The reason I feel so good about a run this year is chemistry and backcourt play. This team is a family and being screwed over by the NCAA last year only brought them closer together and gave them a singular focus on doing something great this year. Point guard play and leadership from the point is critical in college ball and we have that in spades with Shabazz.

Reaction Score
[Uconn, post: 721577, member: 3846"]In 2011 title team we had a leader but that team as a hole was less talented than this year. They had an okwandu down low we have olander -.0 ...if shabazz can be 85-90% the leader kemba was we win title #4 ... Oh we have a chip on our shoulders and have something to play for this year we r hungry[/quote]

I think you are understating how much talent was on the 2010-11 team. Kemba, Lamb, AO, Roscoe, Bazz, Giffey, Coombs-McDaniel... That team was loaded and was 14-0 in tournament games

Reaction Score
[Uconn, post: 721577, member: 3846"]In 2011 title team we had a leader but that team as a hole was less talented than this year. They had an okwandu down low we have olander -.0 ...if shabazz can be 85-90% the leader kemba was we win title #4 ... Oh we have a chip on our shoulders and have something to play for this year we r hungry

I think you are understating how much talent was on the 2010-11 team. Kemba, Lamb, AO, Roscoe, Bazz, Giffey, Coombs-McDaniel... That team was loaded and was 14-0 in tournament games[/quote]

Kemba = shabazz (i hope ill even take 75% of kemba)
Lamb - freshman who averaged 11 ppg (deandre/boatright)
Oriakhi - 10 ppg (deandre)
Roscoe - freshman 6ppg (anyone who gets 15mpg+)
Coombs-mcdaniel-5ppg (read above)
Giffey -freshman (senior now)
Bazz- freshman(senior now)

I deffinately think this years team is more talented and if this team were to play 14 tourney games based on the similarities between both teams (and that important chip on our shoulders/tourney eligible) i think this team could duplicate that.

Reaction Score

Backcourts are real important and they have the "it" to succeed in the tourney. But it will sill fall upon defending the post and rebounding for this team to reach this achievement. If Omar is a better version of his freshman year due to being healthier and add Kromah/Terrence to that group they will arguably be one of the, if not THE, best backcourts in the country. But DD needs to ride that late season wave as well as Phil in order for them to get to late run potential as well as conference title potential. Their depth with Giffey, TO and hopefully the frosh will enable them to play multiple defenses and run the ball down peoples throats but again, you need to rebound and defend in order for this to happen. Against the right opponents you could see some 2-2-1 presses thrown in too I believe as their athleticism and intelligence seems to be on the rise!!

No matter, a fun team to watch and see how they grow and see how the chemistry evolves as the year goes on.

Reaction Score
[Uconn, post: 721577, member: 3846"]In 2011 title team we had a leader but that team as a hole was less talented than this year. They had an okwandu down low we have olander -.0 ...if shabazz can be 85-90% the leader kemba was we win title #4 ... Oh we have a chip on our shoulders and have something to play for this year we r hungry

I think you are understating how much talent was on the 2010-11 team. Kemba, Lamb, AO, Roscoe, Bazz, Giffey, Coombs-McDaniel... That team was loaded and was 14-0 in tournament games[/quote]

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I think this team is much more talented offensively, we lack the rebounders and post defenders that that squad had but this one has more weapons offensively. This team has 4 guys who can get you 20 in a given game, and probably 5 who can get 15 if Giffey starts showing more assertiveness on O, we haven't really had that since the 09 FF team.

Reaction Score
That 2011 team could really disrupt people with it's size and athleticism. We had the ability to go big with Lamb at 2, Roscoe at 3, and two bigs. And even though we got smaller when Napier came in the game, we didn't lose anything defensively since Napier would harrass the ball handler and Kemba was an incredible defender and rebounder for his size. So even if we couldn't get it going offensively, we could still slug it out and win those games in the 50s (the two final four games immediately come to mind).

This year's team is a lot more experienced and definitely has more weapons on offense. But it's much less impressive physically than 2011. The question will be can they figure out a different way to win games when the guards don't go play particularly well - like the Villanova and St. John's games of last year.

Reaction Score
Smith and AO were defensive stalwarts , they played with an edge and few bigs if any took advantage of them. Rewatched the butler game on YouTube its basically a low post defensive clinic. I hope our 5 plays @ the same level of ao, I think Daniels could do what scoe did.

Reaction Score

I think on paper we're about equal to that team.

2011 Kemba vs. 2014 Bazz -- slight advantage 2011 Kemba
2011 Bazz vs. 2014 Boat -- advantage 2014 Boat if he keeps things under control
2011 Lamb vs. 2014 OC -- even, maybe slight advantage 2014 OC as a sophomore
2011 Roscoe vs. 2014 DD -- large advantage 2014 DD
2011 AO vs. 2014 Nolan -- advantage 2011 AO (pending Nolan's development)
2011 Olander vs. 2014 Olander -- even
2011 Giff vs. 2014 Giff -- advantage 2014
2011 Jamal Coombs-McDaniel vs. 2014 Kromah -- even
2011 Chuck vs. 2014 Brimah -- advantage 2011 Chuck
2011 Bev vs. 2014 Samuel -- even

I haven't mentioned Facey because there's no 2011 analogue and given the NCAA's history will probably be jerked around enough to not be a major contributor.

So 2011 has the advantage in having a singular, transcendent leader, 2014 has the advantage in skilled backcourt/wing players, but 2011 has the advantage in the frontcourt. They seem about even.

Reaction Score
Lambs stats in the postseason were unprecedented, it'll be a stroke of genius if OC could replicate that. For one thing we could have lost the butler game with out him

Reaction Score
Not disagreeing with the 2011 vs. 2014 comparisons. But there is a 0% chance a "Butler" makes it to the NCAA finals this year. Every other team in the country is better too, not just us.

Reaction Score
Not disagreeing with the 2011 vs. 2014 comparisons. But there is a 0% chance a "Butler" makes it to the NCAA finals this year. Every other team in the country is better too, not just us.

What is your point exactly?

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
I tend to disagree a bit. I think we have some potential as we have one of the best backcourts in the nation. But there are so many question marks in our post that I'm not sure we are a top 5 team. I think we could be top 10 by the end of the season, but either way, I know I'll be proud of the effort these kids put forth as they lay it all out there for their teammates, coaches, and fans.

I'm not saying we can't make a deep run, but for me those expectations are just too high. Honestly, I'd be thrilled with a run to the sweet 16. Maybe I'm underestimating the team a bit - either way, it's going to be a really fun year to watch this team and see Ollie really put his own unique stamp on the program.

Reaction Score
I'm not trying to diminish UConn's question marks up front (they're real, especially until Facey is cleared), but do people on here realize how crappy frontcourts are in general these days?

This isn't a UConn-specific problem.

Reaction Score
What is your point exactly?

that while we are arguing if our current team is as good as the team that won a national championship...other teams are also better too...we cant simply predict our success comparing our two teams. This year Kentucky will be >>> than the Kentucky we played in the Final Four of that year

Dmike

Waiting for the Snow and 3 pointers to fly
Reaction Score
Can lightning strike twice? Hell yah! The reality is that this team has the potential to replicate the 2011 run, but the 2011 team probably isn't as good as a lot of other Husky team of yesteryear that didn't bring the NC title back to Storrs (I.e. '09, '06, '05, etc.) The point is .... there is a reason to watch this team and see what they can pull together. Are the odds in their favor - no, but when are they ever. So much can go wrong that we watch as fans to see those rare years when everything goes right at the right time as in 2011. We should be so lucky to ever have that much fun again as fans, but it keeps me watching the teams come together, grow and play every year. Cheers to sports.

Reaction Score
that while we are arguing if our current team is as good as the team that won a national championship...other teams are also better too...we cant simply predict our success comparing our two teams. This year Kentucky will be >>> than the Kentucky we played in the Final Four of that year
How do you know all those kentucky freshman will be good? Look at last years kentucky team which was laden with talent as well , FIRST round LOSS to robert morris in the NIT!...there are only a couple teams out there who w. Have as much desire and drive to outperform their expected abilities.

Reaction Score
How do you know all those kentucky freshman will be good? Look at last years kentucky team which was laden with talent as well , FIRST round LOSS to robert morris in the NIT!...there are only a couple teams out there who w. Have as much desire and drive to outperform their expected abilities.

you can't be serious ... Kentucky is absolutely stacked I dont care if they are freshman.

Besides that was one example, the talent in college basketball this year is the best we have seen in a LONG time. there are 25+ teams with legitimate chances to make a run.

Kentucky - Randle, Harrison x2, Cauley-Stein, Poythress, Lee, Young, Johnson
Kansas- Wiggins, Embiid, Selden, Ellis
Duke- Parker, Hood, Sulaimon
Oklahoma State- Smart, Brown
UCLA - Anderson, Adams
UNC - Mcadoo, Hairston
Lousiville - Smith, Harrel, Behanan, Jones
Michigan State - Harris, Payne, Dawson, Appling
OSU - Craft, Ross
Arizona- Gordon, Johnson
Michigan - McGary, Robinson III, Stauskas
Syracuse - Fair, Ennis
US - Napier, Boatright, Daniels (may get left off un-biased lists)

plenty of other teams the lists goes on and on

Florida
VCU
Wisconsin
Memphis
Noter Dame
Virginia
Gonzaga
Tennessee
Iowa
Colorado

Reaction Score
you can't be serious ... Kentucky is absolutely stacked I dont care if they are freshman.

Besides that was one example, the talent in college basketball this year is the best we have seen in a LONG time. there are 25+ teams with legitimate chances to make a run.

Kentucky - Randle, Harrison x2, Cauley-Stein, Poythress, Lee, Young, Johnson
Kansas- Wiggins, Embiid, Selden, Ellis
Duke- Parker, Hood, Sulaimon
Oklahoma State- Smart, Brown
UCLA - Anderson, Adams
UNC - Mcadoo, Hairston
Lousiville - Smith, Harrel, Behanan, Jones
Michigan State - Harris, Payne, Dawson, Appling
OSU - Craft, Ross
Arizona- Gordon, Johnson
Michigan - McGary, Robinson III, Stauskas
Syracuse - Fair, Ennis
US - Napier, Boatright, Daniels (may get left off un-biased lists)

plenty of other teams the lists goes on and on

Florida
VCU
Wisconsin
Memphis
Noter Dame
Virginia
Gonzaga
Tennessee
Iowa
Colorado

Uconn - Shabazz,Boat,Giffey,Daniels,Hamilton and most importantly, something to prove.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom