Shabazz has achieved at minimum CARON+ status. Maybe more. | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Shabazz has achieved at minimum CARON+ status. Maybe more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Why is showing Caron love making people angry? I didn't realize blawyer was anti-caron

WeAreUCONN

Why So Serious ¿
Reaction Score
Kemba is still #1 for Me. 2011 was beyond Belief. 5 in 5 and then the NC, to put the cherry on top. Napier is #2. Rip #3 Ray #4 Ben and Emeka #5. But have much love for Voskul, Freeman, Khalid, Donyell and Donny, Caron, Marcus, Travis, etc.

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
Caron is high level around here. Very high. Rudy Gay is high level. Shabazz is to me right there with my all time favorites: Khalid El Amin, Rip Hamilton, Ricky Moore, Ben Gordon, Emeka Okafor, the knee breaker - Kemba, Ray, Shabazz, Donny, Donyell, Caron, Taliek, AJ, Kevin. That's my list.

I love Caron, but are you kidding? Napier has now been on TWO Final Four teams, and he was a very important piece of a team that won the national championship. He's now the lead dog on Husky sled NO. 1!

Caron was a great husky, but he only played for two seasons and he only made it as far as the Elite Eight round. With all due respect to Caron, Shabazz has nothing more to prove. He's already surpassed Butler and many other notable Husky stars.

joober jones

Finally Non-Fat Guy
Reaction Score
Considering what he went through and how he pulled us back from the brink of irrelevance (in the eyes of some), Napier is #1 all time if he gets the 2nd NC. Right now he's tied with Kemba in my eyes.

Reaction Score
AZHuskiePop said:
Bazz's contribution go beyond Basketball.
All the others mentioned were great players, Bazz was a savior.when the program needed it most.

We needed it when Kemba did it, too. Napier hung with us through probation, so he gets bonus points. But after the 2010 struggles, our sub par recruiting class (or so it was thought at the time), the cloud of the Miles thing, and JC on his way out, Kemba gave us a shot of life when we were in dire need of one. Obviously, Bazz has duplicated that hanging with us (Selby, Joseph, Knight - thank you for the no's).

We're eight days away from the final chapter in the Bazz story. Just nice to have them in the same discussion.

Reaction Score
Caron Butler ‏@realtuffjuice 1h
Special big ups to UCONN men and women#FinalFour
Bis8oaZCEAAexZh.jpg

Reaction Score
Shabazz has reached immediate Husky of Honor status. Whenever this season ends, however it ends, the minute that young man steps off the team bus outside of Gampel, he should have a ceremony to retire 13.

Thank you. I so agree. Shabazz has earned Husky Honors and #13 put up among the rafters.

Reaction Score
We all have our favorites and prejudices. As for Bazz right now he's on top of the world and certainly one of our greatest Husky.

Reaction Score
Caron's team was pretty sketchy. Selvie was the second best player on that team. It is hard to compare this team to that one.
You're confused (as usual). While they may have been freshmen, the team Butler took to the elite eight against Maryland had both Ben Gordon and Emeka Okafor. And Tony Robertson. And Taliek Brown.

Which is not to say Shabazz hasn't already passed Butler in Husky lore. A good part of Caron's draw was the story behind his life before UConn and what it meant to him. He was a great player that put a team on his back and took them to the elite eight and barely lost to the eventual national champs after Steve Blake (IIRC) threw in a desperation 3 in the final minute or so.

But Napier already was a solid contributor on a National Championship team. And now put his team on his back and took them to the Final Four. And, frankly, I'm not sure his surrounding cast is really as good as Butler's. Maybe. Napier is way up there. Definitely in the same discussion as Hamilton, Gordon, and Okafor at a minimum. He's pushing up on Kemba territory. Ultimately that will come down to NEXT weekend.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc