Shabazz 32 points | The Boneyard

Shabazz 32 points

Reaction Score
He keeps doing stuff like this. He'll have one great game, then play 16 minutes then 14 and keep dwindling up he barely plays then have another huge game. I still think he can be a player in the league, but he's going to have to be more consistent than what he's shown. Either way this was a special performance. Beat pretty much the full Spurs team albeit in a not terribly important game as the top and bottom of the west are pretty much locked in

Reaction Score
32-6-5, not too shabby vs. the Spurs too.

Shabazz having that stat line against what the Spurs were doing last night shouldn't draw extra praise than doing it against any other team. Hope Shabazz can carve out a 6th man Jamal Crawford type of role some day.

Reaction Score
Propelled his team to victory with Lillard and McCollum sitting out vs a full strength Spurs team. That is incredibly impressive. That's the Bazz UConn knows

Why can't you praise Napier's game without the hyperbole of "against the full strength Spurs"? The Spurs starters only played about 20 minutes and they emptied the bench for a significant portion of the game. Seeing Shabazz even having that type of game in the NBA is already a great thing, no need to add the hyperbole.

Reaction Score
27 shots means he was green lighted to have his glory moment.

One nice thing is that the player on both benches watched him kill it.

Reaction Score
He only had 20 shots. 9-20. I think you were adding his 3 pt shots which are already included in his 20 shots.

wow, what is this amateur hour?

Super happy for Bazz, and that video of the highlights was amazing to watch. I don't see why he can't find a Kevin Ollie role in the NBA, everyone knows he can hit some big shots even though he's not quite Kemba

Reaction Score
Why can't you praise Napier's game without the hyperbole of "against the full strength Spurs"? The Spurs starters only played about 20 minutes and they emptied the bench for a significant portion of the game. Seeing Shabazz even having that type of game in the NBA is already a great thing, no need to add the hyperbole.
What I mean by that is that at least all of the spurs players played significant minutes. It's not like he beat an entire team of bench players.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
That's the most confidence he's played with for a game since he was wearing a UConn jersey. Played with his swagger again

I was never a good basketball player, but when I played 3-on-3 with two guys who couldn't shoot, and I *knew* I had to be the scorer, I would play my best. Shabazz knew he had the keys to the car with Lillard, McCollum and Crabbe sitting. And he drove that thing like a mofo.

It's games like this that tell me Napier has stuck in the NBA even if he's not what we might have hoped he'd be. But the question is, can be become more than a 9 mpg guy? He needs to get his overall FG% up - he's shooting 36% from 3, which is nice, but only 38% overall. Unfortunately, those are the same numbers he put up as a rookie (although significantly better than his numbers from last season). His irregular playing time has to be a contributing factor, but the bottom line is he needs to improve to become more than an end-of-the-bench "spark" guy.

Reaction Score
End of the regular season stat lines are always wacky but it was nice to see how much confidence he had coming off of screens and just drilling jumpers, that was UConn Bazz. Also nice to hear the Blazers broadcast crew talk about how CJM and Dame both feel that Bazz could be a starter with the way he plays in practice. While I don't think that will ever happen I still believe he could be a quality backup and not just a 3rd PG type if he plays with confidence, him in attack mode off of ball screens hasn't been something we've seen alot during his NBA career.

Reaction Score
What I mean by that is that at least all of the spurs players played significant minutes. It's not like he beat an entire team of bench players.

Shabazz could have had this game against the Nets and it would still be impressive relative to expectations at this point. The fact that the Spurs starters played 20 minutes of half assed ball doesn't add much, if any value to what Shabazz did.

Reaction Score
I was never a good basketball player, but when I played 3-on-3 with two guys who couldn't shoot, and I *knew* I had to be the scorer, I would play my best. Shabazz knew he had the keys to the car with Lillard, McCollum and Crabbe sitting. And he drove that thing like a mofo.

It's games like this that tell me Napier has stuck in the NBA even if he's not what we might have hoped he'd be. But the question is, can be become more than a 9 mpg guy? He needs to get his overall FG% up - he's shooting 36% from 3, which is nice, but only 38% overall. Unfortunately, those are the same numbers he put up as a rookie (although significantly better than his numbers from last season). His irregular playing time has to be a contributing factor, but the bottom line is he needs to improve to become more than an end-of-the-bench "spark" guy.

I haven't looked at the numbers but I'd imagine Shabazz is a pretty big defensive liability in the NBA. He'd have to become a legitimate marksman to carve out a longterm role as someone's Jamal Crawford.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom