SF Vance Jackson (Signed LOI on 11/11) | Page 49 | The Boneyard

SF Vance Jackson (Signed LOI on 11/11)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Matrim55 said:
I believe we were stressed because Ollie can't recruit. Right?

It's still a question mark, really. Adams and Enoch were local, Gilbert is short, Brimah is tall and skinny, Durham is injured, Larrier, Gibbs, Purvis and Miller are transfers, DHam once went to Ollie's alma mater, and Jackson was DHam's teammate.

I mean if you are Jackson, and you played for one year in high school with a guy who previously went to a different high school that a college coach attended 25 years ago, of course you are going to go play for that coach. I'm just amazed other schools wasted their time recruiting him.

Reaction Score
Neither Marshall came to UConn known as a shooter. Both worked themselves into serviceable floor-stretchers, but were elite in other areas.

Jackson's only elite skill (at this point) is his shooting. Needs to improve in every other facet of his game (though I think his passing is very, very good).

Best comparison is a larger 'Shad, but even that's not quite right. More like a combo of 'Shad and a rich-man's Tolksdorf.
As highly ranked as Donyell was we expected something, and I still remember his first game, the announcer talking about a 6'9 freshman being able to shoot the 3, after he made the shot. He had shooting touch from the get go. If you cross 6'9 Donyell with 6'4 Rashad maybe we get Jackson. I would take that.

Reaction Score
It might have been champs who made the comparison, but I think the best recent player comp I read was Christian Watford, who finished up at IU a couple of years ago.

Reaction Score
Welcome, Vance. You made the right choice.

We really needed a pure shooter to make defenses pay when a guard gets into the lane or when a defender sags to help on one of the bigs. I'm hoping he will develop into a better version of Giffey. And I'd much rather have Vance than the smaller sharpshooter guard we were looking at whose name escapes me. This is a great recruiting class. Looking forward to seeing these kids reach their potential.

BUConn10

Artist formerly known as BUHusky10
Reaction Score
These Hamidou reclassifying talks have escalated the past week or so. Any real traction on this or is it just people echoing boneyard fantasies? The talk has made its way to reddit.

Reaction Score
These Hamidou reclassifying talks have escalated the past week or so. Any real traction on this or is it just people echoing boneyard fantasies? The talk has made its way to reddit.
It's been out there and we clearly need guards in this class, I think there is a reason Ollie really hasn't been pursuing any shooting guards. No inside info, just a hunch.

Matrim55

Why is it so hard To make it in America
Reaction Score
As highly ranked as Donyell was we expected something, and I still remember his first game, the announcer talking about a 6'9 freshman being able to shoot the 3, after he made the shot...
He shot 24% from 3 as a freshman.

Dogbreath2U

RIP, DB2U
Reaction Score
It's been out there and we clearly need guards in this class, I think there is a reason Ollie really hasn't been pursuing any shooting guards. No inside info, just a hunch.

It does seem like it could line up that way, but that would seem to be too good to be true. How cool is this?

Reaction Score
He shot 24% from 3 as a freshman.
He was a top 10 player coming out of high school, so he didn't get that way without offensive ability. He wasn't a bricklayer, but right, he wasn't a finished product. So if Jackson shoots 24% freshman year, he wasn't a good shooter in HS? Div 1 does that to these kids.

Reaction Score
Yeah, my bad. As others have pointed out you are Peter Bard and you did know about Sterling Gibbs before everyone else. I take back what I said

I'm just busting your stones.

BUT! It should be noted that I said:
I'm hearing Brown may be on campus this week, possibly some good news coming here.
He did end up visiting, so I'm at least 1-for-2 here.

Reaction Score
image.png

Matrim55

Why is it so hard To make it in America
Reaction Score
He was a top 10 player coming out of high school, so he didn't get that way without offensive ability. He wasn't a bricklayer, but right, he wasn't a finished product. So if Jackson shoots 24% freshman year, he wasn't a good shooter in HS? Div 1 does that to these kids.
Donnyell was a multi-faceted scorer & player. Jackson is, as of now, a 3-point shooter almost exclusively. Donnyell could shoot 24% and still help us. If Jackson only shoots 24%, he won't see the floor.

Your comparison is bad and you should feel bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom