SF/PF Wenyen Gabriel (Kentucky Commit) | Page 32 | The Boneyard

SF/PF Wenyen Gabriel (Kentucky Commit)

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

Chief00

It's always interesting to me how we do with recruits who visit on a home football weekend vs no home football game visit. Jackson visit is football game and Gabriel isn't.
At some point the last couple football seasons that started to feel like a negative but you never know how much of a factor that is. Before we got briefly good at football Calhoun turned bad football into a positive - we are a basketball school - go to such and such a school all they care about is football - basketball is off the radar at school X.

Reaction Score
I don't know if I'm paying attention more, but WG seems like a very intense recruitment. Seems like all 5 schools think they have a shot and are after him hard.
I agree. I thought I read earlier today that coaches from UConn and Duke have met with Gabriel and his entourage at his School over the past week or so. I get the impression that he's doing his due diligence and likes a lot of things about each program.

With that said, it will likely be his relationship KO and maybe proximity to home that puts UConn on top. If one or both aren't high priorities then I don't like our chances quite as much. I think it's premature to read too much into things and to write UConn off at this point.

Reaction Score
It's always interesting to me how we do with recruits who visit on a home football weekend vs no home football game visit. Jackson visit is football game and Gabriel isn't.
At some point the last couple football seasons that started to feel like a negative but you never know how much of a factor that is. Before we got briefly good at football Calhoun turned bad football into a positive - we are a basketball school - go to such and such a school all they care about is football - basketball is off the radar at school X.
I think the importance of the FB program as a factor in a BB recruit's decision has been grossly overblown. I think it has little impact if any. These kids are looking for a good relationship with the coaching staff and players, the PT/Position opportunity, style of play, chance for winning, TV exposure and an opportunity to develop their game for the next level. Other than our lack of a P5 conference affiliation now, UConn has everything else going for them. What happens on the grid-iron is likely not a factor whatsoever.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
Not sure what your point is with the Daniels/Giffey thing...especially when Daniels almost exclusively played the 4 at UConn.

I've watched Gabriel a couple times and I just don't seem as a 3 at all. I think he would have a very hard time defensively with quicker small forwards and his outside shot is very much developing. Like someone else said, he's a perfect stretch 4 for us, but he could be a little bit redundant with Durham. Don't want to scare Durham off.
Giffey and daniels were never 4s but 3s until ollie turned them into 4s. They even played the 5 at times

Reaction Score
Giffey and daniels were never 4s but 3s until ollie turned them into 4s. They even played the 5 at times

Well right, which further makes my point than challenges it. Not sure why someone would mention Giffey and Daniels while arguing for playing Gabriel at the 3. Daniels, especially, was far more effective as a 4 than as a 3 at UConn.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
Well right, which further makes my point than challenges it. Not sure why someone would mention Giffey and Daniels while arguing for playing Gabriel at the 3. Daniels, especially, was far more effective as a 4 than as a 3 at UConn.
I'm saying kids come in and want to play one position and find out they're better at another. Some don't like that others do. Are we saying the same thing?

Reaction Score
@coreyevans_10: Big news as 2016 STAB forward Javin DeLaurier has moved his visit to Duke up to next weekend

Guessing this will lead to a predicted commitment. One would think Duke drops down on race for Gabriel
DeLaurier just committed to Duke. Wonder how this impacts Gabriel?

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
Other schools look at Durham and say it hurts us with Gabriel... However this only helps our cause.

Reaction Score
If Gabriel is serious about Kentucky or Duke he's going to find plenty of competition at his position at either of those two programs. I don't know about Maryland though.

Reaction Score
I would never turn down a talent like WG but we'd be just fine without him. Same goes for Diallo. Even without those two, our lineup in a few years will consist of J Adams, A Gilbert, Larrier, J Durham, and Zach Brown.

Matrim55

Why is it so hard To make it in America
Reaction Score
If Gabriel is serious about Kentucky or Duke he's going to find plenty of competition at his position at either of those two programs. I don't know about Maryland though.
I think it's safe to assume that Maryland will be recruiting at an elite level henceforth. Not quite Duke, UK or Kansas, but - like us, Syracuse, Louisville, etc - one step down from that.

He's their clear top target right now, and given their roster make-up would probably be close to a surefire starter as a freshman on a team with many other 4- and 5-star underclassmen.

I think we still have a shot, but I do expect him to be a Terp.

Reaction Score
I would never turn down a talent like WG but we'd be just fine without him. Same goes for Diallo. Even without those two, our lineup in a few years will consist of J Adams, A Gilbert, Larrier, J Durham, and Zach Brown.
Zach Brown hasn't committed.

Reaction Score
Ozzie is a fine poster on the other site, but he's not infallible. I wouldn't be 100% sure even if KO himself said Brown will be a Husky.

Last edited:
C

Chief00

Coach Miller as I recall has some connection to the coach at this prep school.

Dogbreath2U

RIP, DB2U
Reaction Score
So, is it safe to assume that Gabriel has left UK without signing? 247 saying that Myles Bridges will announce next week between MSU and UK, with MSU listed as the likely choice. He'll have competition wherever he goes. He would be fun to watch develop.

Reaction Score

We still need another guard and Diallo is our guy. Love Gabriel but not as important with Terry, Durham and possibly Dham sticking around. I'm not entirely sold on this being his last year but who knows. It's probably 50 50.

Reaction Score
We still need another guard and Diallo is our guy. Love Gabriel but not as important with Terry, Durham and possibly Dham sticking around. I'm not entirely sold on this being his last year but who knows. It's probably 50 50.

I think Vance Jackson could be a nice replacement for Diallo.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom