2023 Recruiting: - SF Matas Buzelis | Page 2 | The Boneyard

2023 Recruiting: SF Matas Buzelis

Status
Not open for further replies.

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score

So with all this interest and hype maybe a one and done? Nice but doesn't seem like our type of recruit but trust in Hurley and staff. It is really good to see Uconn brand being regularly with the elite schools. That's a lot of progress in three years.

Reaction Score
So with all this interest and hype maybe a one and done? Nice but doesn't seem like our type of recruit but trust in Hurley and staff. It is really good to see Uconn brand being regularly with the elite schools. That's a lot of progress in three years.
I know what you're saying, but even during the Ollie years, we going up against the big names for high-end recruits. The problem was we didn't have any shot with them whatsoever, and ended up settling for scraps. That's obviously no longer the case.

I hope we don't back off just because there's lots of competition for this kid. That said, I realize there's limited time to go around, and the staff needs to allocate in a way that is efficient.

Reaction Score
I know what you're saying, but even during the Ollie years, we going up against the big names for high-end recruits. The problem was we didn't have any shot with them whatsoever, and ended up settling for scraps. That's obviously no longer the case.

I hope we don't back off just because there's lots of competition for this kid. That said, I realize there's limited time to go around, and the staff needs to allocate in a way that is efficient.

It's going to be hard to know how hard we're recruiting him this year TBH. We're recruiting half the Brewster roster, so they'll be lots of reports that we were there linking us to him. There's a chance we haven't recruited the kid at all since July, and we don't know it. Great bang for your buck with so many kids there.

Reaction Score
Other Blue Blood CBB Programs are finding out what UConn/BE schools have known for quite awhile. Brewster BB is a gold mine for talented kids.

When Izzo/staff are in to see Matas..They're also seeing the other 5 kids on the roster UConn is recruiting.

IMO . When you bring in "the staff" along with the HC.. You're looking at other kids while seeing Matas--Your target.

Does a mid-western kid want to play in the BE or go to a conference closer to home? Time will tell

Reaction Score
Other Blue Blood CBB Programs are finding out what UConn/BE schools have known for quite awhile. Brewster BB is a gold mine for talented kids.

When Izzo/staff are in to see Matas..They're also seeing the other 5 kids on the roster UConn is recruiting.

IMO . When you bring in "the staff" along with the HC.. You're looking at other kids while seeing Matas--Your target.

Does a mid-western kid want to play in the BE or go to a conference closer to home? Time will tell
Brewster Academy might be the best high school basketball program in the country and has been sending kids to top programs all over the country for a while. It's not the 1940's, everyone in college basketball recruiting knows all about Brewster.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
And in all likelihood our first 5* under Hurley will be a local kid. Not a kid from Illinois who goes to school in New England... he's already profiling as a kid willing to travel anywhere to play. Compared to kids like Justin Edwards/Taylor Bol Bowen who are probably more inclined to stay close to home, even if it's not guaranteed.

Doesn't he also play the same position as Karaban?

Reaction Score
Doesn't he also play the same position as Karaban?

Pretty much. But so does Bowen more or less, Edwards, and some other big wings... I can't think of their names right now. There's room enough for 2-3 of those guys to be on the floor at any given time, especially if they can hit the 3.

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
Pretty much. But so does Bowen more or less, Edwards, and some other big wings... I can't think of their names right now. There's room enough for 2-3 of those guys to be on the floor at any given time, especially if they can hit the 3.
Wouldn't that be wonderful! 6-7 jumping jacks all over the floor bombing 3's and taking it to the rim!

Reaction Score
Brewster Academy might be the best high school basketball program in the country and has been sending kids to top programs all over the country for a while. It's not the 1940's, everyone in college basketball recruiting knows all about Brewster.
Have never heard of Izzo coming to Wolfeboro and am aware of their kids going to top programs for 10-15 yrs.

I found it unusual for Izzo to bring his entire staff to Brewster. Expensive trip for one recruit ,don't you think?

Reaction Score
Have never heard of Izzo coming to Wolfeboro and am aware of their kids going to top programs for 10-15 yrs.

I found it unusual for Izzo to bring his entire staff to Brewster. Expensive trip for one recruit ,don't you think?
Maybe they were really leaf peeping.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score

Oh sure. We'd like several. But I do think that the recruits may look for a situation where there is a more clear path. He's going to have a lot of options. Does anybody know when he is planning to commit? He's got a lot of time.

Reaction Score

Not if you really want a kid, he's a Chicago kid and I'm guessing Izzo thinks he has a good shot with him. If you've been following Brewster for a long time you should know they are no secret to any college programs.

Buzelis was never going to UConn or any other Big East school.

Reaction Score
Not if you really want a kid, he's a Chicago kid and I'm guessing Izzo thinks he has a good shot with him. If you've been following Brewster for a long time you should know they are no secret to any college programs.

We actually agree on Buzelis and on Izzo's interest. My use of "Blue Blood" CBB Programs was to suggest--However you want to define Blue Bloods.--That the Programs have been looking at Brewster kids since they started winning championships around 2008.. Typically sending assistants..But rarely signing Brewster kids. Arizona/Louisville/Washington/Georgetown are great schools but not what I would consider MSU or UConn-Blue Blood Programs

Do Brewster kids get free rides to high level D1 schools? Absolutely ! Do they get drafted by the NBA ? Absolutely!NBA Lottery picks?Yes Do more than 45 + players out of Brewster Program play professionally in 22 foreign countries? Absolutely!

FYI..I have a great deal of familiarity with Brewster/Lake W/Wolfeboro

Back to Matas

Reaction Score
We actually agree on Buzelis and on Izzo's interest. My use of "Blue Blood" CBB Programs was to suggest--However you want to define Blue Bloods.--That the Programs have been looking at Brewster kids since they started winning championships around 2008.. Typically sending assistants..But rarely signing Brewster kids. Arizona/Louisville/Washington/Georgetown are great schools but not what I would consider MSU or UConn-Blue Blood Programs

Do Brewster kids get free rides to high level D1 schools? Absolutely ! Do they get drafted by the NBA ? Absolutely!NBA Lottery picks?Yes Do more than 45 + players out of Brewster Program play professionally in 22 foreign countries? Absolutely!

FYI..I have a great deal of familiarity with Brewster/Lake W/Wolfeboro

Back to Matas
So you're just surprised Izzo would go with his whole staff to see a kid I guess. I just don't understand why you think Brewster is a secret to anyone. They've sent kids everywhere except for Duke. Kansas, Kentucky, Texas, UCLA, Michigan, Memphis, etc. have all gotten kids from there.

BGesus4

Running everywhere
Reaction Score

I somehow missed that he was a Chicago kid. Brings the Izzo interest into context. It’s crazy how consistent he has been in not recruiting kids outside the Midwest (with very rare exceptions).

Reaction Score
Izzo doesn’t usually come this far east. Quite a testament to the kid’s ability.
It's been over 20 years (2000) since Izzo won a championship and, although he was lavishly praised for always getting four year players to the Final Four, that was broken in 2014.
It just may be his pride is driving him to work harder to get recruits, or the pressure of having Penny II at UM.

Reaction Score
@superjohn you can shorten your list of exceptions

Terrence Clarke - Kentucky
Kai Jones - Texas (19th pick overall 2021)
Mac Etienne - UCLA (on the team roster but left before playing)

Reaction Score

Dogus Balbay- Texas
Will Barton- Memphis
Jonah Bolden- UCLA
Mitch McGary- Michigan
Thomas Robinson- Kansas
Nadiir Tharpe- Kansas
Devonte Graham- Kansas

Last edited:
Reaction Score

His list of exceptions was 1 team long. Duke. Then he listed teams that are not exceptions.

(I wouldn't have commented on this, but I spent more time than I care to admit figuring out what you meant. Needed some kind of payoff.)

Reaction Score
I know, I know, we're not getting him. @alexd needs to work those Lithuanian connections. :)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger