Seton Hall Post Game Thread | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Seton Hall Post Game Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
He doesn’t deserve to play more at this point. His defense has been good but if he can’t or won’t shoot on offense and he keeps making high school level turnovers what’s the point in playing him more? It’s not that he’s not in a groove he just isn’t an outstanding athlete and every team knows all he can do is drive
Kind of my point. He had some bad turnovers but overall it feels like he's either holding himself back or is being told to hold himself back. Whatever it is, I think playing more will solve it.

He had bad turnovers tonight but everyone played like crap so I'm not holding it against him

Reaction Score
Burn the black jerseys

The good -
  • Clingan was really impressive when he was out there, but unfortunately that time was limited due to foul trouble. Not all calls today were good calls, but all of his fouls were legit. Hopefully he feels better soon and that injury is nothing serious
  • Diarra split a double team, euro stepped past a defender, and hit a reverse layup. That was nice
  • I was planning on going to the game but got sick this week so ended up staying home. Seems that worked in my favor
The bad -
  • Last year they beat us because we let them get to the hoop instead of forcing them to shoot jumpers. We made the same mistake tonight. Why are we pressuring Seton Hall 25-28 feet from the hoop when they shoot 30%?
  • Newton was 2-5 from three. The rest of the team was 2-16
  • Castle looked overwhelmed on both ends of the floor, and was visibly frustrated. Did have 2 pretty nasty blocks though
  • Crashing the offensive boards is good, but it leads to outmatched fast breaks if it doesn't work. We got smoked on fast breaks
  • Seems like nobody really wanted to play after 10 minutes. Major lack of energy and effort for most of the game and they gave up with around 5 minutes left
Disappointing game. I don't even think Seton Hall played really well, we just played horribly. Guess the guys are ready for Christmas
  • Last year they beat us because we let them get to the hoop instead of forcing them to shoot jumpers. We made the same mistake tonight. Why are we pressuring Seton Hall 25-28 feet from the hoop when they shoot 30%? Mind boggling - couldn't agree more

Reaction Score
Hopefully he does start next game, whether it's the minutes restriction gone or superstition. But he also hasn't looked great, he was -18 in 20 minutes tonight. He's also obviously one of the 5 most talented players so the change needs to happen
He just has a lot that Solo doesn’t at this point. We need a secondary guy to be able to go get his own.

Reaction Score
Kind of my point. He had some bad turnovers but overall it feels like he's either holding himself back or is being told to hold himself back. Whatever it is, I think playing more will solve it.

He had bad turnovers tonight but everyone played like crap so I'm not holding it against him
I don’t think he’s holding himself back. I think he’s coming to terms with the fact that he can get by defenders purely by change of pace without the threat of a jump shot. Can we afford to let him figure that out with 30mpg?

I know I’ll get called a chicken little and all that for saying this but Castle has not impressed this year beyond his on ball defense, which is wildly beyond where I thought it would be. On offense his shot is Jackson level bad and he’s not making up for it with playmaking. I think he gets better and more comfortable but if we’re waiting for him to absolutely take over games….

Reaction Score
Disappointed because I thought this team was too smart and experienced to play that bad. They lost at Seton Hall last season so I figured it couldn't happen again.

Very worried about Clingan. If he's out for the season then they are in big trouble. No depth at the 5 and Johnson looked like a newborn colt tonight. What was that?

Who thought the black uniforms were a good idea? I'm sure not Hurley. Surprised he didn't over rule that.
They can lose to anybody decent, it happens. What is obviously striking is the WAY it happened tonight. Not ONE player stepped up tonight. Not ONE. That is incredibly concerning when you talk about experienced players like Newton and Spencer and a guy like Karaban who typically has shown incredible composure. We aren't supposed to just pack it in like that. Honestly that game was over as soon as we gave up the lead at 23-22. Never challenged them again. That's just weak, weak stuff.

Reaction Score
We gotta realize that we gotta play as if we are going to get everyone’s A+ game AND effort in this beast of a conference, most of this game we were going through the motions, HALL wanted this more by farrrrrr

Reaction Score
Meh.. it’s good karma to lose to them.
it’s their national championship of the year… they wont do anything better So let them enjoy it.

Reaction Score
If 15-5 is our ceiling we don’t have much shot at a top 2 seed
What the hell are you talking about? That would put us at 25-6 going to MSG

The 1s last year in the reg season?

Houston 29-2 (AAC)
Bama 26-5
Kansas 25-6
Purdue 26-5

Xavier was the 2 seed at MSG at 15-5

Reaction Score
Biggest worry. Best case scenario is possibly a bad ankle sprain. Just the fact that he couldn’t get back in the game and was limping fairly bad, I’d be surprised to see him back for at least 4 weeks.
HOLY HOT TAKE

Reaction Score
I'm completely fine with the result. Weaknesses were exposed early:

• Had to have Samson play a key second half role
  • Exposed Cam's lack of foot speed and strength
  • Exposed Castle's inability as a Dec freshman to attempt to take over a game
  • Exposed the need for Ball as a huge minute contributor with total skill package

There's more but that's the gist. It's a good thing. First conf game, on the road, with Clingan on the bench. No worries.
I appreciate the sentiment and you raise some valid points, but this game was unacceptable.

Reaction Score
I am fairly certain playing in Seattle late Friday night didn’t help. Boys looked tired and disinterested all night. Sucks to happen but it was bound to. On to Sat.

Reaction Score
Big agree. Castle needs minutes and he needs to start. He got lost a few times on defense but had some great plays too. He's further along than Ball.

Part of me thinks Hurley has been running ball out as the starter because of superstition. Castle feels primed for primetime and just needs to get his legs under himself while Ball is still very much a freshman, freshman.
Castle was AWFUL tonight. What the hell were you watching. He wasn't just bad or subpar. He was AWFUL. If you think he earned starter minutes after tonight you are out of your mind. Ball did nothing worse than Castle tonight.

Reaction Score
That's what I did not like was the fact they didn't use the game plan they used against Arkansas. I have seen SHall a few games this year-they are not that good offensively and really can't shoot from the outside except of Dawes
We got ran over inside, over and over again with no 2/3 zone or other adjustment. Need to look at the stat sheet but several stats looked out of sorts. Without DC we couldn't defend well.

Reaction Score
We gotta realize that we gotta play as if we are going to get everyone’s A+ game AND effort in this beast of a conference, most of this game we were going through the motions, HALL wanted this more by farrrrrr
Wasn’t even SH’s A+ game. We just played a D- game across the board

Reaction Score
  • Last year they beat us because we let them get to the hoop instead of forcing them to shoot jumpers. We made the same mistake tonight. Why are we pressuring Seton Hall 25-28 feet from the hoop when they shoot 30%? Mind boggling - couldn't agree more
Totally agree play zone stop the dribble penetration.

Reaction Score
Hurley blamed some of it on terrible guard play in the postgame interview. Said we had no pop. He sounded shellshocked to me. Said Donovan had an ankle sprain. He said something about a boot and crutches. As for the game we got out physicaled period. They took us out of our offense and the rest is history. Samson was almost inept. We were not able to drive on them when our 3 point shooting was off. They got most of the loose balls. We have no one to stop Richmond from driving.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom