Seth Davis: How will we know if Ollie deserves the UConn job? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Seth Davis: How will we know if Ollie deserves the UConn job?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
In the end it will come down to how well KO handles the rigors of coaching in an high powered environment and can he perpetuate the excelence that is Uconn Basketball. His kids will play hard, but that is expected. How he handles x's and o's and carries himself in public will determine if he comes back.Uconn recruits not KO. We will get top players if we continue to play Uconn basketball.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
We will get top players if we continue to play Uconn basketball.

I don't know about this. Recruits over and over said they came because of Jim Calhoun. Sure the program was good, but that was not the defining reason.

Edward Sargent

Sargelak
Reaction Score
2. How will we know if Kevin Ollie deserves the UConn job?
In many respects, Ollie, who signed a one-year contract after Jim Calhoun retired, is in an impossible position. All he has to do is take a team that lost three starters from a squad that bowed out in the second round of the NCAA tournament, take it through the rugged Big East with no postseason to play for, and make waves on the recruiting trail during a time of year where there is precious little happening on that front. And all with just two years of coaching experience, and none as a head coach. Easy, right?
So where should we -- or more specifically, UConn athletic director Warde Manuel -- set the bar? Should it be a certain number of wins? Or number of road wins? Should Ollie have to lock up a key commitment from a player who will bolt if Ollie doesn't get the job? Ollie's X's and O's acumen will be closely scrutinzed, but to me, that is the least important part of coaching. It would be more instructive to see whether his players get better as the season goes on, because that will be a reflection of how well he teaches.
In the end, the answer boils town to something simple: Let's see if Ollie's kids play hard for him. I mean really hard. Since UConn cannot compete in the postseason, including the Big East tournament, the only thing these kids will have to play for is 1) their own pride, and 2) their desire to see Ollie get the permanent job. If we get to the end of February and the Huskies are still diving on the floor, cheering for each other and playing their hearts out on defense, then Ollie will have earned his shot. If Ollie's players quit on him, it will make it easier for Manuel to do the same.

That's a fair assessment. Tough to judge him on only wins and losses on this season.
If anyone can make it happen on a one year contract basis, Kevin Ollie can. He made a 13 year NBA career out of short term contracts including 10 days with multiple teams. Towards the end of his career he was a highly sought after teamate.

Reaction Score
We know that talent alone is lacking this year; that needs to be supplemented by other things. Either the team plays beyond their talent level due to effort or great coaching to get better than expected results. I think it's easier to learn Xs and Os over time than to learn how to motivate players over time. In regards to the latter you either have it or you don't. I would rather see Ollie succeed at motivating his players from the start than be satisfied with his Xs and Os. If Ollie can both recruit well and get his players to play hard there should be a "long leash" in regards to game preparation and management until he can be considered an experienced head coach.

We all know Calhoun knew how to motivate players. But not last year. He went from the ultimate motivator in 2011, to his team have horrible chemistry in 2012. Sometimes, happens.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
We all know Calhoun knew how to motivate players. But not last year. He went from the ultimate motivator in 2011, to his team have horrible chemistry in 2012. Sometimes, **** happens.

Sometimes when the train is off the tracks, its best to just let it derail. 2009-2010 is another example.

Reaction Score
We all know Calhoun knew how to motivate players. But not last year. He went from the ultimate motivator in 2011, to his team have horrible chemistry in 2012. Sometimes, **** happens.

Wrong kids and it is on Jim......but you can't motivate pu**ies and they had a couple the last couple of years.......some I'm sure he wished he didn't recruit when they were mere babies in Prep School......tough finish but he had nothing left to prove........can't have chemistry with selfish returning players trying to live off of a ring.......while it as on Jim, what was he to do? Throw them off the team or take the computer and cell phone from their father???? LOL

Reaction Score
In the end it will come down to how well KO handles the rigors of coaching in an high powered environment and can he perpetuate the excelence that is Uconn Basketball. His kids will play hard, but that is expected. How he handles x's and o's and carries himself in public will determine if he comes back.Uconn recruits not KO. We will get top players if we continue to play Uconn basketball.

Can't agree on this anymore....changing landscape in the Big East KO/staff are going to need to see UConn and it's rich history to people who will be SMU on their schedule not Syracuse..........I do agree they will get very good players as long as they remain among the hardest working teams, the most fun to watch and play basketball the way the kids like to. KO will see to that I believe.......

Reaction Score
Wrong kids and it is on Jim......but you can't motivate pu**ies and they had a couple the last couple of years.......some I'm sure he wished he didn't recruit when they were mere babies in Prep School......tough finish but he had nothing left to prove........can't have chemistry with selfish returning players trying to live off of a ring.......while it as on Jim, what was he to do? Throw them off the team or take the computer and cell phone from their father???? LOL

Obviously not criticizing Calhoun. That's why I pointed out he did the best job of his entire career in 2011. He must have lost it over the summer. Or something.

C

Chief00

I hope Ollie succeeds. I know they will work and play hard. Other than that the cards are stacked against him - I will be rooting for them as hard as in any Championship season.

diggerfoot

Humanity Hiker
Reaction Score
Obviously not criticizing Calhoun. That's why I pointed out he did the best job of his entire career in 2011. He must have lost it over the summer. Or something.

I would not give as much credit to Calhoun motivating the 2011 crew as you do. It seems to me that Walker was one of those incredible people that, in addition to the benefits of his talent, drew people to his leadership. There were plenty of stories that year confirming this as a trait of his. That also helps to "explain" the sudden "inexplicable" turnaround. That seems to undermine my previous argument of whether one has it or not in terms of motivating, but not really. Calhoun always had it, but I think a variety of factors eroded his effectiveness at motivating in recent years.

hungry husky

Currently Hungry
Reaction Score
I hope Ollie is able to recruit kids that want to stay at least 3 years. Haven't had many upperclassmen besides Kemba that have been able to carry this team. This is the third "young" team we've had in a row.

Reaction Score
It's that kind of thing that's concerning. I compare it to the whole testing phenomenon for teachers' assessment. What's in it for my kids?

I disagree with Davis on this. It should come down to whether Ollie can handle Xs and Os, team preparation. That's what Manuel should be looking at. The team last year didn't exactly improve much over the year.

If Ollie was coach last year and got the results Calhoun got, would you have given him an extension?

Reaction Score
If Ollie was coach last year and got the results Calhoun got, would you have given him an extension?

Yes, if he fulfilled other more important criteria.

Reaction Score
We lost in the first round there Seth.
I initially thought the same thing but starting this past year it was actually called the "second round" since the first 4 games are now the "first round". So Davis is correct.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom