Seth Davis finally gives up on UConn | The Boneyard

Seth Davis finally gives up on UConn

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Connecticut (10-3) — SELL
It might surprise you to see me rate the Huskies a Sell, since I have consistently ranked them higher than most of my fellow AP voters. But the loss of 7-foot junior center Amida Brimah, who will be out another six weeks with a broken finger, is devastating. He was one of the nation’s top shot blockers and was evolving into a passable offensive threat. Moreover, it seems as if the reserves, particularly freshman point guard Jalen Adams, have regressed over the last couple of weeks. UConn did well to take care of business by beating Ohio State at home and earned a good road win at Texas, but it was unsettling to watch them struggle on the road against Tulane over the weekend. This is one of the strongest brands in all of college basketball. My sense is that the public assumes this team has more potential than it actually does.

http://www.si.com/college-basketbal...ock-watch-kentucky-kansas-north-carolina-duke

Silk31

Foot Stays on Gas
Reaction Score
We had quite the run together. Sad to see you go Seth but I think we can both agree that we are better off without each other.

Good things happen when you don't believe in us so I expect a nice conference run to start up

Reaction Score
I just took my rose colored glasses off , but what he says here isn't exactly crazy. I see a bunch of ups and downs coming but hopefully enough ups to carry us until AB returns. We are undersized and underdepthed down low so it would be a good time for Phil to put on that Superman cape.

Reaction Score
I just took my rose colored glasses off , but what he says here isn't exactly crazy. I see a bunch of ups and downs coming but hopefully enough ups to carry us until AB returns. We are undersized and underdepthed down low so it would be a good time for Phil to put on that Superman cape.
He said another six weeks, but wasn't the prognosis two weeks ago that AB would be out 4-6 - unless something changed. Of course the backups in the paint have been subpar, everyone knew that when AB went down, so to suddenly sell now as opposed to when it happened makes little sense. I also don't see the justification of the argument that Adams has "regressed." If anything, Gibbs is the one who has regressed from preseason expectations. If anything, Adams is coming into his own quite well.

Reaction Score
Don't let the door hit you in the a** on the way out.

Reaction Score
We're coming off our best road win of the year against Texas and we're on a 5 game winning streak. Yup. Sell the Huskies!

Reaction Score
Love how Seth waits for UConn to get back into the national polls before ¨dropping¨ them. The public (aka casual fan) normally pays no attention to unranked teams and thus UConn hadn´t been on their radar for the last few weeks until today. The only consistent support the team has gotten from the media has been from Davis, so good news for us fans that he has jumped ship.

Yes, losing Brimah hurts. But I´m surprised more hasn´t been made of the fact that now the huskies have an opportunity to work on their team defense (particularly the guards) without the big man back their to clean up mistakes. We will have a more experienced team as a result of the injury.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Connecticut (10-3) — SELL
It might surprise you to see me rate the Huskies a Sell, since I have consistently ranked them higher than most of my fellow AP voters. But the loss of 7-foot junior center Amida Brimah, who will be out another six weeks with a broken finger, is devastating. He was one of the nation’s top shot blockers and was evolving into a passable offensive threat. Moreover, it seems as if the reserves, particularly freshman point guard Jalen Adams, have regressed over the last couple of weeks. UConn did well to take care of business by beating Ohio State at home and earned a good road win at Texas, but it was unsettling to watch them struggle on the road against Tulane over the weekend. This is one of the strongest brands in all of college basketball. My sense is that the public assumes this team has more potential than it actually does.

http://www.si.com/college-basketbal...ock-watch-kentucky-kansas-north-carolina-duke

I agree somewhat w the sentiment on Brimah, it really hurts. But apparently he hasn't seen the emergence of Omar as a solid piece. And when Brimah comes back, Facey is a monster off the bench.

Also, Purvis is delivering, and Gibbs looks like he's starting to turn the corner.

Reaction Score
If Adams played lights out against Temple would we be a buy again?

polycom

I heard a beep, who just joined?
Reaction Score
This is a case of selling the drop and losing out on a lot of future earning potential.

Reaction Score
If Adams played lights out against Temple would we be a buy again?
I expect Adams to have a very good game pretty soon. He is too good a player to have a bunch of average or lesser games in a row. A huge game tomorrow would not surprise me.

BTW, UConn is 28th in sagarin today, one spot ahead of PC.

Reaction Score
Good article for the team.

This is a second half season team. Next month the bandwagon will be full, these early jumpers are just making room.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
He's not crazy - if you didn't see flashing neon warning signs during that Tulane run, I don't know what to tell you.

But....this would not be the first UConn team that looked like the Polish navy in January only to be something much, much different in March.

Reaction Score
We struggled for ~15 minutes on the road with #$%@ refs and Seth is ready to sell...we'll be just fine. With that said, the next few games will be very telling with regard to potential postseason seeding.

pnow15

Previously pnete
Reaction Score
Seth Davis has little understanding of the team concept. And often when players start trying to blend their particular skills into the team concept, they appear to be falling back rather than moving ahead. Gibbs came to UConn as a two guard and has struggled trying to learn the point. But this last outing he finally seemed to grasp the concept of controlling the tempo of the game. An improvement. DHam actually has been trying to play defense the last two times out. Hugh improvement. Similar things can be said about Miller and Facey. Ollie is still trying to improve each players skill set while blending those new skills into the team concept. Ollie usually finds his core players and defines their roles when it counts most. I expect the same this year.

Silk31

Foot Stays on Gas
Reaction Score
We struggled for ~15 minutes on the road with #$%@ refs and Seth is ready to sell...we'll be just fine. With that said, the next few games will be very telling with regard to potential postseason seeding.
And I can all but guarantee that Seth didn't watch a minute of the Tulane game

Reaction Score
And I can all but guarantee that Seth didn't watch a minute of the Tulane game

I lost $5 making this statement earlier today, but he was in the studio, so he had to have seen it.

pnow15

Previously pnete
Reaction Score
You should really try watching some non-UConn games sometime.
Up until this last game Gibbs has shown me almost no point guard skills.
And I don't want to hear about Seton Hall. Jeff Van Gundy made a very interesting point on an NBA telecast: Never trust the stats of a guy who is playing for a lousy team. Case in point: David Lee was a borderline all star playing for the Knicks. Golden State won a title and Lee was basically a non factor.

Reaction Score
Up until this last game Gibbs has shown me almost no point guard skills.
And I don't want to here about Seton Hall. Jeff Van Gundy made a very interesting point on an NBA telecast: Never trust the stats of a guy who is playing for a lousy team.

This isn't about stats. He wasn't a two-guard at Seton Hall. He played a ton of PG there. I don't understand how this nonsense keeps getting repeated. You want to say you don't think he's a very good point guard? That's up to you. But when you say he didn't play point guard until he got here, you're being ignorant.

pnow15

Previously pnete
Reaction Score
This isn't about stats. He wasn't a two-guard at Seton Hall. He played a ton of PG there. I don't understand how this nonsense keeps getting repeated. You want to say you don't think he's a very good point guard? That's up to you. But when you say he didn't play point guard until he got here, you're being ignorant.
He could have played a lot of point guard at Seton Hall. So, then why is he learning to play point guard at UConn instead of the playing point guard in the NBA? Apparently, no one in the professional world thought he had point guard skills. This kid came to UConn to play under Ollie for a reason.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
These guys can out score anybody by 20 pts over a 10 minute span but also be outscored by 20 pts by anybody over a 10 minute span. If there is a reason to sell, that's it because that is difficult to fix.

That said, a tip from Seth is like a tip from that guy at the track who never wins. It's probably good that he bailed off the bandwagon. Then again, he probably looked at the RPI and figures we'll lose just enough conference games to be the third team in a two bid AAC.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MTSuitsky

Top Bottom