Seth Davis finally gives up on UConn | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Seth Davis finally gives up on UConn

Status
Not open for further replies.

Silk31

Foot Stays on Gas
Reaction Score
I lost $5 making this statement earlier today, but he was in the studio, so he had to have seen it.
giphy.gif

Reaction Score
Up until this last game Gibbs has shown me almost no point guard skills.
And I don't want to hear about Seton Hall. Jeff Van Gundy made a very interesting point on an NBA telecast: Never trust the stats of a guy who is playing for a lousy team. Case in point: David Lee was a borderline all star playing for the Knicks. Golden State won a title and Lee was basically a non factor.
You are clueless, David Lee was just as good or better as a Warrior as he was as a Knick.

Reaction Score
He could have played a lot of point guard at Seton Hall. So, then why is he learning to play point guard at UConn instead of the playing point guard in the NBA? Apparently, no one in the professional world thought he had point guard skills. This kid came to UConn to play under Ollie for a reason.

There are, give or take 350 college teams playing division 1 basketball. How many point guards from last year are playing in the NBA? Just because he isn't playing in the NBA doesn't mean he doesn't have pg skills. There are a hell of a lot of good college basketball players who never play in the NBA. By the way did Ryan B have point guard skills?

Reaction Score
He could have played a lot of point guard at Seton Hall. So, then why is he learning to play point guard at UConn instead of the playing point guard in the NBA? Apparently, no one in the professional world thought he had point guard skills. This kid came to UConn to play under Ollie for a reason.
Wtf are you talking about? Gibbs isn't playing point guard in the NBA right now because he isn't a good NBA prospect and had no chance of being drafted. He left Seton Hall because he thought he had a better chance to win here and rumors were he didn't see eye to eye with Isaiah Whitehead and what Seton Hall was doing.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
I don't think Davis said anything wrong but I also don't have a problem with everyone ripping him a new one.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
You are clueless, David Lee was just as good or better as a Warrior as he was as a Knick.

What a bizarre comment that was. Lee became a sub in his very last season with GS. In the four years before that, he averaged between 16.5 and 20.1 ppg. Of course Lee's always been more about stats than substance, but that's another topic. Zero drop-off in his game until last year.

Also, I had to chuckle at the "borderline all-star" line, since he was an actual all-star with the Knicks (2010) and the Warriors (2013).

A lot of people on this board say more about the NBA than they should.

Reaction Score
You should really try watching some non-UConn games sometime.

He's uninformed about Gibbs having been a 2 but I wouldn't say he's wrong with the rest of his post.

Also, I think that Seth is overrating the loss of Brimah, but I don't think he's wrong in saying way too many people think this team has more potential than it actually does. At this point I'd just be thrilled to make the tourney and either win 1 game, or depending on seeding, lose a closely contested game to a good team.

Reaction Score
He's uninformed about Gibbs having been a 2 but I wouldn't say he's wrong with the rest of his post.

Also, I think that Seth is overrating the loss of Brimah, but I don't think he's wrong in saying way too many people think this team has more potential than it actually does. At this point I'd just be thrilled to make the tourney and either win 1 game, or depending on seeding, lose a closely contested game to a good team.

I think you are wrong.

Reaction Score
I think you are wrong.

I'd probably enjoy being wrong for the sake of this year's team. I've said since last year that I think this team will be AWESOME next year if everybody stays, I just think people are a year premature.

Reaction Score
I'm not sure where he gets the idea that the public thinks we have more potential than we do... other fanbases complain about us being ranked whenever we do creep into the rankings.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
we're better off without that mush

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
Up until this last game Gibbs has shown me almost no point guard skills.
And I don't want to hear about Seton Hall. Jeff Van Gundy made a very interesting point on an NBA telecast: Never trust the stats of a guy who is playing for a lousy team. Case in point: David Lee was a borderline all star playing for the Knicks. Golden State won a title and Lee was basically a non factor.
what do you mean no point guard skills? he runs the offense, get's the team going, pushes the ball, etc.... you want him to be a scoring guard on a team that is averaging over 70 points a game without him scoring a lot? he's doing very well

pnow15

Previously pnete
Reaction Score
What a bizarre comment that was. Lee became a sub in his very last season with GS. In the four years before that, he averaged between 16.5 and 20.1 ppg. Of course Lee's always been more about stats than substance, but that's another topic. Zero drop-off in his game until last year.

Also, I had to chuckle at the "borderline all-star" line, since he was an actual all-star with the Knicks (2010) and the Warriors (2013).

A lot of people on this board say more about the NBA than they should.
Borderline was a bad attempt at stating he was not a perennial all star. He was not Bird or Malone. Wouldn't a borderline all star be one that is on the border of not being an all star?

Golden State won the title after Lee was no longer putting up big stats. GS became a better team.

pnow15

Previously pnete
Reaction Score
Wtf are you talking about? Gibbs isn't playing point guard in the NBA right now because he isn't a good NBA prospect and had no chance of being drafted. He left Seton Hall because he thought he had a better chance to win here and rumors were he didn't see eye to eye with Isaiah Whitehead and what Seton Hall was doing.

I said Gibbs was a 2 because that was his skill level. He is a much better three point shooter than he is a distributor. DHam has been playing point forward because
Gibbs has not been doing a very good job at it up to this last game.

Everyone on this board has remarked that the team runs better when DHam is
running it. Now, all of a sudden Gibbs is the 2nd coming of Steve Nash.

Reaction Score
Connecticut (10-3) — SELL
It might surprise you to see me rate the Huskies a Sell, since I have consistently ranked them higher than most of my fellow AP voters. But the loss of 7-foot junior center Amida Brimah, who will be out another six weeks with a broken finger, is devastating. He was one of the nation’s top shot blockers and was evolving into a passable offensive threat. Moreover, it seems as if the reserves, particularly freshman point guard Jalen Adams, have regressed over the last couple of weeks. UConn did well to take care of business by beating Ohio State at home and earned a good road win at Texas, but it was unsettling to watch them struggle on the road against Tulane over the weekend. This is one of the strongest brands in all of college basketball. My sense is that the public assumes this team has more potential than it actually does.

One thing recent history has taught us is Uconn is at its most dangerous when you think theyre down. I still believe this team has not found its identity yet but has shown flashes. I fully expect this team to make a nice run in march. No doubt about it.

Reaction Score
Yeah Seth, because people overestimate UConn all the time :rolleyes:

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
These guys can out score anybody by 20 pts over a 10 minute span but also be outscored by 20 pts by anybody over a 10 minute span. If there is a reason to sell, that's it because that is difficult to fix.

That said, a tip from Seth is like a tip from that guy at the track who never wins. It's probably good that he bailed off the bandwagon. Then again, he probably looked at the RPI and figures we'll lose just enough conference games to be the third team in a two bid AAC.

hqdefault.jpg

C

Chief00

Actually, I take the view we will play pretty well up until we try to integrate Brimah back in the flow. That's always tough to do late season with a player and shot blocking asside Brimah doesn't have great basketball instincts - so it might be tougher than usual.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
so we have our most impressive road win (win) of the season, we win a conference road game after we stopped playing far too early, our RPI jumps 50 places, we move into the AP rankings

and now the mush bails on us

brilliant

Reaction Score
I said Gibbs was a 2 because that was his skill level. He is a much better three point shooter than he is a distributor. DHam has been playing point forward because
Gibbs has not been doing a very good job at it up to this last game.

Everyone on this board has remarked that the team runs better when DHam is
running it. Now, all of a sudden Gibbs is the 2nd coming of Steve Nash.

Guess I am odd man out, do not think DHam runs team better than Gibbs. Driving to basket and floating lobs to Brimah is not running the team. DHam does lot of driving/spinning which results in some nice lobs, some nice shots, some passes to open guys for shots and a lot of turnovers and low % shots that might as well be turnovers. Gibbs needs to facilitate while DHam and Purvis need to attack. When the game is on the line Gibbs should direct just like Kemba, Bazz and Boat - DHam should be Daniels with bit more game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MTSuitsky

Top Bottom