Seth Davis: BE "Top Tier" Does Not Include UConn | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Seth Davis: BE "Top Tier" Does Not Include UConn

pj

Reaction Score
The season has ebbs and flows. UConn started the season with a particular lineup and style of play that befuddled opponents for a while, now other teams have figured out how to play against it, and Hurley and team have to react. UConn has enough depth and diversity of talent this year to be able to mix things up and beat the approach that's currently beating them.

This is where the great coaches separate themselves from the merely good ones. But, there is also room for talent to step up. The return of Samson Johnson will solidify the frontcourt. Hawkins has to figure out how to score when the defenses are focusing on him - something Ray Allen, Ben Gordon, and Rip Hamilton had to figure out before him, and did. Meanwhile Newton, Diarra, Alleyne, Calcaterra have to step up. Especially Newton.

Lots of reason for UConn fans to be optimistic this will be a Final Four team. But as of right now, it's not playing like a top ten team.

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
Wanna know what people don’t talk about years from now? Seth Davis’ Big East tier rankings on Jan 14th
Or a week from now…

Reaction Score
The top group of the big east have not won on the road vs each other yet and UConn is a team who had played 3 out of the 4 of them already ( them being right after each other too). Xavier has not played a single one yet and Providence just lost to make them 0/1 of the 4.

Reaction Score
And all these years later people still dont realize this is what he does. Dude is literally a professionally paid troll. Its not just Uconn either.
Exactly. It’s designed to rile up people like us nuts who post on here and it obviously worked.

It’s also not that nutty to say after we just played the other top 3 teams in the BE and didn’t win a game. Yes, it was on the road. If we go 3-0 at home against them he’ll have to change his tune, but let’s not act like we’re not looking like the 4th best team in the BE right now either.

Reaction Score
I find it hard to get worked up by guys like him. The industry rewards hacky talking heads that can generate controversy and clicks. It is what it is.

Incursio007

"Plus Ultra!"
Reaction Score
Even if UConn was undefeated these clowns would still find something to hate on. Would love to see Xavier or Providence beat a team like Bama on a neutral court.

I literally couldn’t care less about the big east championship. It’s a nice stepping stone, but national titles are all that matter. We have weaknesses like all teams, but will improve & gel more as the season progresses. Can’t wait to revisit these comments in a few weeks.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
Seth Davis is an absolute moron, I love his ignorance and his hate

No man in the country has been more wrong about UConn than Seth Davis. He's been beaten so bad by the Huskies, he's an incoherent punch drunk buffoon

Thank you Seth, your idiocy is our lucky charm

Another sign that the God's favor us

August_West

Conscience do cost
Reaction Score
No. No it isn’t “fair”. It’s reactionary. The season has been longer than 2 weeks. And we have better wins than all of them. We are their “good” win. So how can they have separated themselves from us??

By you and Seth’s logic Creighton has separated itself from providence…right?
Who are our “ better wins” than the 3 of them?

Because by metrics all of them beating us is better than our best win.

You should think this stuff out.

August_West

Conscience do cost
Reaction Score
I find it hard to get worked up by guys like him. The industry rewards hacky talking heads that can generate controversy and clicks. It is what it is.
Seth is clown shoes. No doubt.

Reaction Score
He’ll be back on the bandwagon if we win 3or4 in a row.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
The best teams keep winning home games, go figure

Reaction Score

So you think a home win over #6 (for a day more) AP, #4 Kenpom, #4 NET is better than a nuetral win over the #4 AP, #5 KenPom, and #6 NET team?

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
Seth had to get his story in before the Duke-Clemson game started and the Blue Devils' 1-point road win over BC was fresh in his mind.
Screenshot_20230114-200850.png

August_West

Conscience do cost
Reaction Score
Beating #5 KenPom Alabama on a neutral court is better than any of those 3 beating #4 KenPom UConn at home
So those 3 have a higher Ken Pom win. Like I said.
So you think a home win over #6 (for a day more) AP, #4 Kenpom, #4 NET is better than a nuetral win over the #4 AP, #5 KenPom, and #6 NET team?
Whelp yeah I do. I think it was a bigger deal for them to beat us top 4 at time kenpom even at home than it was for us beating a top 20 or so ( at time ) Ken Pom team neutral. Sorry for believing in my team. And I think Bama is great.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
No, you said a "better win" and "by metrics all of them beating us is better than our best win". And #5 on a neutral court is objectively a better win than #4 at home by all metrics. If you said we haven't beaten a higher ranked team you'd be correct

Reaction Score
The first and only time Seth would give UConn any credit is if they raise the trophy after March Madness.. Until then.. He's a twitchy little chick.

Reaction Score

Whelp yeah I do. I think it was a bigger deal for them to beat us top 4 at time kenpom even at home than it was for us beating a top 20 or so ( at time ) Ken Pom team neutral. Sorry for believing in my team. And I think Bama is great.
No, you said “metrics”. You never specifically even mentioned KenPom. And suddenly “metrics” went to “metric”, but even with that, you are still wrong. I’d suggest looking around the college basketball landscape and check out the differences in performance between home, road, and neutral.

Also, judging it by the teams rank at the time is just not a smart thing to do. Unless of course your trying to have something fit your narrative.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score

But with the added context, it’s clearly a more impressive win…

Reaction Score

Alabama, Iowa state, creighton, ok state, Florida(on the road). We are top 3 in Q1 wins in the country. It was well thought out which is why I said wins(plural) not win(singular).

Reaction Score
No. No it isn’t “fair”. It’s reactionary. The season has been longer than 2 weeks. And we have better wins than all of them. We are their “good” win. So how can they have separated themselves from us??

By you and Seth’s logic Creighton has separated itself from providence…right?
The Rose Colored Glassed Brigade out in full force here.

We are talking Big East Conference here. The way conferences work is that you play games against people, and the ones that win the most games win the conference - no one cares about what happens out of conference with regards to conference standings. You will see from my deep analytics background how I have shown you the 2 game lead that the three leaders have carved out early in the season. This can also be referred to in human english by definition as "separation".

Screen Shot 2023-01-14 at 10.05.11 PM.jpg
You guys get so wrapped up about what words some weirdo legacy media failson makes grow up

Reaction Score
The Rose Colored Glassed Brigade out in full force here.

We are talking Big East Conference here. The way conferences work is that you play games against people, and the ones that win the most games win the conference - no one cares about what happens out of conference with regards to conference standings. You will see from my deep analytics background how I have shown you the 2 game lead that the three leaders have carved out early in the season. This can also be referred to in human english by definition as "separation".

View attachment 83037 You guys get so wrapped up about what words some weirdo legacy media failson makes grow up
1 game is “separation”. The conference is FAR from decided. Making that call 7 games into conference play is dumb. No one has separated themselves from anyone. A 2 game lead is not significant.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NAN24

Top Bottom