Seth Davis: BE "Top Tier" Does Not Include UConn | The Boneyard

Seth Davis: BE "Top Tier" Does Not Include UConn

Reaction Score
Happened to catch Clark Kellogg and Seth Davis talking about the BE on CBS this afternoon. Showed BE standings with Xavier and Providence at 6-0 and Marquette at 6-1. Davis notes how UConn, after its "fast start" has fallen back, its guards being exposed as "perhaps good shooters but unable to set up plays for others." He opines that the "top tier" of the BE -- Xavier, Providence and Marquette -- seems to have "separated itself" from the rest of the field.

It's absolutely dizzying how quickly teams can rise in accreditation by beating UConn in their own gyms. No need to wait until the return matches are played at UConn and down the line at MSG. UConn apparently is such a great team that just beating them on your home court establishes your superiority. A curious bit of logic -- and one that leaves this particular UConn fan virtually drooling at the opportunities ahead to enlighten BE basketball commentators.

Reaction Score
Honestly I think that analysis is fair. They have better records, they beat us head to head, and we do have major backcourt problems.

If we win in our place then the debate can restart but for now, its totally fair assessment

Reaction Score
Honestly I think that analysis is fair. They have better records, they beat us head to head, and we do have major backcourt problems.

If we win in our place then the debate can restart but for now, its totally fair assessment
No. No it isn’t “fair”. It’s reactionary. The season has been longer than 2 weeks. And we have better wins than all of them. We are their “good” win. So how can they have separated themselves from us??

By you and Seth’s logic Creighton has separated itself from providence…right?

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Davis seems to be speaking to the present time and there is little that you can argue against his view. UConn is not top tier NBE and wont be until they can take care of business. Losing all 3 games, home or away, is not what a "top 4 team" in the conference and better yet, the country, should be experiencing. Until UConn can find a PG, find a real floor leader, find themselves inserting lineups that expose opponents weaknesses - they may find more disappointing losses.
The sky hasn't fallen, 15-3 is great, but the time for change is here and it has to be at the expense of egos.
Winning isn't always easy.

Mr. Wonderful

Whistleblower
Reaction Score
Happened to catch Clark Kellogg and Seth Davis talking about the BE on CBS this afternoon. Showed BE standings with Xavier and Providence at 6-0 and Marquette at 6-1. Davis notes how UConn, after its "fast start" has fallen back, its guards being exposed as "perhaps good shooters but unable to set up plays for others." He opines that the "top tier" of the BE -- Xavier, Providence and Marquette -- seems to have "separated itself" from the rest of the field.

It's absolutely dizzying how quickly teams can rise in accreditation by beating UConn in their own gyms. No need to wait until the return matches are played at UConn and down the line at MSG. UConn apparently is such a great team that just beating them on your home court establishes your superiority. A curious bit of logic -- and one that leaves this particular UConn fan virtually drooling at the opportunities ahead to enlighten BE basketball commentators.
Seth Davis has always been an idiot.

Reaction Score
Davis seems to be speaking to the present time and there is little that you can argue against his view. UConn is not top tier NBE and wont be until they can take care of business. Losing all 3 games, home or away, is not what a "top 4 team" in the conference and better yet, the country, should be experiencing. Until UConn can find a PG, find a real floor leader, find themselves inserting lineups that expose opponents weaknesses - they may find more disappointing losses.
The sky hasn't fallen, 15-3 is great, but the time for change is here and it has to be at the expense of egos.
Have those teams played the road games we have. PC just did and…..yeah. We do have some guard issues to sort through, but every team that has “separated” themselves from us as issues as well. Let the big east season play out. They all still have to come to CT. We’ll see how much they’ve “separated” themselves then.

Reaction Score
Interesting to argue against us being a “top 4 team” in the conference when we’re literally fourth in the conference. I still think we’re the best team in the conference. I’ll change my mind if those teams beat us when we’re home or if anyone separates themselves over the next few weeks.

Reaction Score
Interesting to argue against us being a “top 4 team” in the conference when we’re literally fourth in the conference. I still think we’re the best team in the conference. I’ll change my mind if those teams beat us when we’re home or if anyone separates themselves over the next few weeks.
The only team of that group that I look at and say yea they could be better than us is Xavier. They’re legitimately great offensively.

Reaction Score

If you think the three best teams in the conference are PC, Xavier, and Marquette I would not trust you to tie your own shoes.

Reaction Score
The only team of that group that I look at and say yea they could be better than us is Xavier. They’re legitimately great offensively.
Xavier and Marquette are really good. They are obviously slightly more likely to win the league than us. There are a lot of games left. I really can’t wait to get another shot at Xavier. That should be an awesome game, and quite possibly a battle between two top-10 teams.

Reaction Score
yeah I think Seth Davis is a moron, well maybe that's too strong. But I don't value a lot of respect for what he says. Having said that even a broken clock is right twice a day. Have PC, Xavier, and Marquette separated themselves to be better than UConn? No, that's nonsense and a complete prisoner of the moment dumb take. However, he is correct about UConn's guards not being able to create for themselves or others consistently-it's been a problem for most of the season. The guards really don't attack the basket off the dribble enough to put pressure on the defense.

I am hoping Tristen Newton can change that and AJax can start finishing plays to the basket without dunks. If AJax can do that latter it will open up his passing lanes so much more, even though he is already exceptional at it, and put that much more stress on opposing defenses.

Reaction Score
I'm going to guess Seth Davis hasn't watched too many Big East games. As a Providence fan, I know it's ridiculous to believe that. Now that Creighton is healthy and getting back to where they should be, the top 5 in the Big East are all capable of making a deep run in March. UConn had Final Four potential.

Seth probably looked at the standings 5 minutes before he went on the air.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
I would like to hear exactly what he said and what the context was. I have a suspicion he may have meant that they're the top tier in the standings, not necessarily that they're the clear best teams in the conference.

Reaction Score
For a national analyst to miss it I understand but we played an extremely hard schedule these past few weeks with essentially 3 ranked away games. Don’t worry, we’ll be back.

NowInStorrs

The truth is out there.
Reaction Score
mr-rogers-neighborhood.gif

Reaction Score
If he said clearly "separated themselves" then I have issue. That's like saying the NY Giants clearly separated themselves as the elite team in nfl after week 5.

Reaction Score
Xavier has played @ Cincy, @ SJU, @ Georgetown, and @ Nova as their only road games this entire season. And they still have 3 losses already so far this year with that lightweight road schedule. They have an extremely hard schedule the rest of the way
Exactly.

They have a 3 game stretch @Uconn, @Creighton, and @Providence over the course of a week that they easily can go 0-3.

Reaction Score
I agree with Seth at this point in time.

Unless our guards can learn to stop the penetration and stop throwing up bricks, we will end up behind his top tier.

Reaction Score
Seth got trolled by the idiots on UConn twitter when he refused to rank us properly in the preseason. Of course he’ll take this opportunity to dunk on us.
And all these years later people still dont realize this is what he does. Dude is literally a professionally paid troll. Its not just Uconn either.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NAN24

Top Bottom