seriously, can anyone argue we're not victimized by the officials? | The Boneyard

seriously, can anyone argue we're not victimized by the officials?

Status
Not open for further replies.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
running in and drilling us with an elbow is called a block

us standing there for 5 seconds before contact? a block

some flimsy movement away from the ball? we foul

we cannot defend the paint without fouling, we cannot get fouled in the paint

we made enough mistakes, we let Tulane back in the game, but we're on the short side of the calls like I've never seen before

I'm sorry, that's become indisputable

Reaction Score
running in and drilling us with an elbow is called a block

us standing there for 5 seconds before contact? a block

some flimsy movement away from the ball? we foul

we cannot defend the paint without fouling, we cannot get fouled in the paint

we made enough mistakes, we let Tulane back in the game, but we're on the short side of the calls like I've never seen before

I'm sorry, that's become indisputable
I don't think we are cictimized by officials, at least not normally. We do seems to get the short end of the stick alot though. Also i feel that in the games we play touch fouls are called more than games in other conferences. Like watching some Big 12 games it seems like they let alot more physicality go. I wish some of our games were like that

BUConn10

Artist formerly known as BUHusky10
Reaction Score
KO needs to do a better job working the refs and obviously knowing when to call timeouts. Way too much BS went on during that 17-0 Tulane run not to call a timeout.
I think there was about 14 minutes of game time in the second half during Tulane's run back into the game where KO didn't call a timeout and was just sitting on the bench the majority of this interval.

Reaction Score
Poor UConn the refs are out to get us. We desperately need the refs help to us win. Can we please find a way to change this.

This conspiracy is going to bring us down. If it doesn't change soon we will endure another season of ref bitchin.

Reaction Score
Poor UConn the refs are out to get us. We desperately need the refs help to us win. Can we please find a way to change this.

This conspiracy is going to bring us down. If it doesn't change soon we will endure another season of ref bitchin.

Just need the refs to do their job. Multiple replays last night confirmed the game was not officiated evenly. In spite of that we won.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score

Comprehension 101: the act or action of grasping with the intellect

Some people have it, some prefer to troll because they can

Reaction Score
The players need to adjust to how the refs are calling the game and play accordingly. That's all. Can't blame the refs for losing a 19 point lead. Lousy decision making on offense and bad defense is to blame.

Reaction Score
I don't think we are cictimized by officials, at least not normally. We do seems to get the short end of the stick alot though. Also i feel that in the games we play touch fouls are called more than games in other conferences. Like watching some Big 12 games it seems like they let alot more physicality go. I wish some of our games were like that
The Vandy-LSU game was insane with contact being allowed. Except on Simmons of course.

Reaction Score
only saw the second half so I could be wrong but...we were going to the hoop as much as they were, but without many if any whistles. Play by play guy even said "a lot of contact being allowed on this end of the floor"
We had 15 fouls called on us in the second half, not counting the Nolan technical at the end. Thats just crazy given the way the game was played.

Reaction Score
It does seem like we get more ticky tack fouls.

However...Facey needs to stop setting moving screens. And Miller needs to stop using his hands to impede movement.

Miller has been better at stopping himself from impeding with his hands but now he likes to reach to flick the ball out of their hands, bad habit. He plays solid defense to the basket then does this, I mean just get your hand in his face and if he makes the shot more power to him.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
The players need to adjust to how the refs are calling the game and play accordingly. That's all. Can't blame the refs for losing a 19 point lead. Lousy decision making on offense and bad defense is to blame.
To a small extent I agree, however, last night was just plain ridiculous
Watched it again this morning and the refs, during the second half, made all the calls at one end. Yes UConn needs some adjustment to accommodate the new touch rules BUT nearly every drive to the basket by a player in blue was met with body slam, slapping and a push yet no whistle. There were at least 5 drives by the guys in white where at the most was a hand brush or nothing at all and the whistle blew.
I hate it when people blame the officiating on a poor performance but the poorest performance out on that floor last night was not DHam (boy was he not himself last night) but the guys with the whistles.
I have been following UConn MBB since the mid 60's and college BB in general and the one sided whistle blowing last night was among the worse.
Did the refs cause the 21-0 run by Tulane? - no - but played a huge part.
I honestly don't think that KO yelling at the officials or working them would have worked. These guys were amateurs and the way they were emoting their calls was hilarious.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score

Alright, now you are going completely in the opposite direction (was sarcasm I know). The actuality is, there is a happy medium to this point. KO needs to be better in dealing with it: riding the refs early to establish a pattern, get a T for egregious calls (and to motivate players, calling timeouts on big runs (break patterns of officiating and play), and coaching guys harder about hand checks. It's not heresy to point this out.

The reffing yesterday was as bad as I've seen for a UCONN game in a long, long time. It was not just a few blown calls, which happens, it was an established pattern. So bad that the refs had to call a bunch of meaningless makeup calls to atone for it.

Reaction Score
If the NCAA is realy going to push for this 'freedom movement' concept, them UConn has to adjust. That said, the refs have to be even and consistent calling it the same way on both ends. That is not what I saw last night between UConn and Tulane. It really did not look that way between Memphis and South Carolina last night - South Carolina: 46 of 63 FT's from 41 Memphis fouls versus Memphis 30 of 36 FT's from 27 fouls. Had flashbacks to the infamous Lakers v. Kings game 6 Western Conf Finals in 2002 when Shaq personally fouled out most of the Kings front line as the Lakers won behind 40 FT's, 27 in the 4th quarter alone.

Silk31

Foot Stays on Gas
Reaction Score
My favorite was watching our guys get whistled for three carries last game and then seeing their goon have the biggest carry ever that helped him beat two defenders baseline and not only didn't they call him for it but they rewarded him for carrying the ball with an and one call. Purely comical

Reaction Score
This thread is embarrassing. So did the decree to call games against UConn come directly from Emmert or was it funneled through Calipari? Maybe Paesano wants to weigh in.

Miller and Facey have not been able to stay out of foul trouble all season. Last night was just more of the same. Blaming the officials for a nail biter with Tulane is weak.

Reaction Score
This thread is embarrassing. So did the decree to call games against UConn come directly from Emmert or was it funneled through Calipari? Maybe Paesano wants to weigh in.

Miller and Facey have not been able to stay out of foul trouble all season. Last night was just more of the same. Blaming the officials for a nail biter with Tulane is weak.

Might the truth be both views.

Miller and Facey have to have far cleaner games. Simply doing some dumb stuff repeatedly. HOWEVER ... when you wake up at the 10 minute mark of last night's second half, you clearly have seen one of the most one-sided whistled games in quite some time. And, everyone could see it. Whether incompetence or blatant homerism ... it was too too much. We hit the FTs and went home. You are left with both ... BOTH ... conclusions.

Reaction Score
UConn was the toughest team in the OBE, the toughest league in college basketball. The Huskies are the single team in the entire AAC that has a gravity that that the others aspire to (with due respect to Cinci's history). KO talks about being physical and hitting first. Maybe our brand is in our way.
I thought the team took the adversity of the onslaught of bad calls on the road pretty well. Last year's team might not have been mentally tough enough to do that.

Reaction Score
there were some very bad calls during that 17-0 run. 3 UCONN fouls were weak touch fouls and 2 blatant fouls against Tulane were not called. the high elbow was ridiculous not to be called. There big man received an inside feed for a layup and was moving at full speed and miller touched him as he was going out of bounds and miller got tagged for a foul. He would have landed out of bounds regardless Miller did not impede him in any way.

Reaction Score
UConn was the toughest team in the OBE, the toughest league in college basketball. The Huskies are the single team in the entire AAC that has a gravity that that the others aspire to (with due respect to Cinci's history). KO talks about being physical and hitting first. Maybe our brand is in our way.
I thought the team took the adversity of the onslaught of bad calls on the road pretty well. Last year's team might not have been mentally tough enough to do that.

We were never the toughest team in the OBE. Maybe mentally tough, but not physical. Yes, we've had a few great physical players, but teams like Pittsburgh and Cinci were always more physical. Rock fights!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MTSuitsky

Top Bottom