Serious Business in Turkey | The Boneyard

Serious Business in Turkey

Status
Not open for further replies.

CTyankee

Proud member of King Geno's Court
Reaction Score
Yesterday we were having coffee in a sidewalk cafe in Izmir... Then all sorts of commotion...

It was part of a protest all over Turkey that the Turkish government was not doing enough from helping the Kurds to prevent ISIL from invading the Kurdish parts of Iraq.
DSCF1265A.jpg
DSCF1268.jpg

We left the cafe in a hurry!!!

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score
Much as I would want this tournament to continue for twice as long as scheduled so I can enjoy great basketball for a long time, there's a part of me knowing how dangerous that part of the world is that will not sleep contentedly until all you folks the coaches and the team are back home safe.

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score
Indeed we do and worthy of our respect. the war is literally a Turkey's doorstep, a very scary notion.

ChicagoGG

Windy City Kitty
Reaction Score
To all of our travelers, be careful and cautious - as Rady says, things are volatile over there. Enjoy, but stay safe (and avoid the demonstrations if you can...)

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Speaking from someone currently in Istanbul, I feel completely safe. . . though I could do with fewer carpet salesmen. Weather today was spectacular, which we deserved after standing in the pouring rain waiting for a taxi after Saturday night's game. While waiting for Milford and eric in Sultanahmet Square this afternoon I watched CD, Jen and Dawn Staley walked on by.

CTyankee

Reaction Score
The wife and I have been all over Turkey including the east and the south. In probably a dozen trips this is the first time we have ever been close to a demonstration... I totally agree with UConnCat about Istanbul. It's no different than walking around the touristy areas of any big American city. I liken Istanbul to NYC... Very cosmopolitan and full of many different and diverse neighborhoods... Generally it's very safe here. Izmir is on the west Aegean coast, very far from any of the hot spots; what I saw I consider unusual.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
I'm with Cat on this - thanks so much for the well wishes, but it doesn't seem to be any reason for worry. Any major city can be dangerous if you find yourself in the wrong area - East LA, Harlem, whatever, but this city is teeming with all sorts of people. I think it's important to have "street smarts" especially when visiting a foreign city, but I'm more worried I'll get whiplash from gawking at one handsome man to the next. Quite a smorgasbord, to put it mildly.

In general, the locals LOVE Americans. Part of it may be that they think we have $ and are eager for a sale, but many of the super nice people we've met weren't trying to sell us anything at all. Just a genuinely friendly people. It's been very nice indeed...

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
We've made lots of Turkish friends. Many of them have cousins or uncles who want to sell us carpets, leather jackets, or dinner, but some don't appear to have any sort of agenda.

G

genosguy

Much as I would want this tournament to continue for twice as long as scheduled so I can enjoy great basketball for a long time, there's a part of me knowing how dangerous that part of the world is that will not sleep contentedly until all you folks the coaches and the team are back home safe.
While your concern is warranted and nice to hear, I doubt if the USA FIBA organization (and Geno, et al) would put OUR girls in harms way just for a game or even a title. However, I am thrilled to see Turkish people protesting that Turkey isn't helping Kurdistan against ISIL--USA would be putting our planes in turkey to help if allowed. God Bless America

G

genosguy

I'm with Cat on this - thanks so much for the well wishes, but it doesn't seem to be any reason for worry. Any major city can be dangerous if you find yourself in the wrong area - East LA, Harlem, whatever, but this city is teeming with all sorts of people. I think it's important to have "street smarts" especially when visiting a foreign city, but I'm more worried I'll get whiplash from gawking at one handsome man to the next. Quite a smorgasbord, to put it mildly.

In general, the locals LOVE Americans. Part of it may be that they think we have $ and are eager for a sale, but many of the super nice people we've met weren't trying to sell us anything at all. Just a genuinely friendly people. It's been very nice indeed...
Americans tend to think those interested in $$$ as friends, when the $$$ go so go the friends. It's the same he world over, Asia, Europe, South America, Central America--the islands, however USUALLY Canada is a bit more truly friendly--since most speak North American English (and Old French in Quebec).

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score
While your concern is warranted and nice to hear, I doubt if the USA FIBA organization (and Geno, et al) would put USA girls in harms way just for a game or even a title. However, I am thrilled to see Turkish people protesting that Turkey isn't helping Kurdistan against ISIL--USA would be putting our planes in turkey to help if allowed. God Bless America

I doubt that as well. However it is a volatile part of the world, and sometimes I just need to say what I have to say...then that's that.

I have been reassured by the folks on the ground over there. I am not engaging discussion. They know better than me.

CTyankee

Reaction Score
RL... We who are in Turkey appreciate your concern... Thanks for the kind thoughts...

Now back to basketball... The non-womens-basketball Turks are now more interested because their team will make the final rounds... I saw, for the first time, headlines in the sports section of the newspapers today featuring the tournament and the play of the Turkish women. It's no secret that the game of choice here is soccer... Or men's basketball... Or women's volleyball... Even my hosts are now looking forward to going to the finals, and taking their grandson to one of the games...

Reaction Score
While your concern is warranted and nice to hear, I doubt if the USA FIBA organization (and Geno, et al) would put OUR girls in harms way just for a game or even a title. However, I am thrilled to see Turkish people protesting that Turkey isn't helping Kurdistan against ISIL--USA would be putting our planes in turkey to help if allowed. God Bless America
Looks like the Turkish gov't is softening on this, "...could allow foreign forces to use their territory for cross-border incursions." ISIL has been very active near the Syrian town of Kobani, right on the Turkish border. We have a US Air Force base in Turkey fairly close by at Incirlik. President Erdogan is still concerned that US air strikes "without a broader political strategy" will only prolong the unrest, however he is getting big NATO pressure to participate. And now the Turks are concerned because ISIL is encroaching on the tomb of
Suleyman Shah, founder of the Ottoman Empire - in Northern Syria, but in an area Turkey Turkey considers to be theirs, and they have vowed to defend it.

All this is happening 1200+ km away from Istanbul, so I'm sure all there are safe, but just keep your
antennae up. Anything Turkey does, or allows, is sure to piss off ISIL bigtime. Enjoy but be careful.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world...tate-coalition-strikes-near-border/ar-BB6MmP5

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score
posted this morning:
"As Turkish soldiers and tanks took up position along the border with Syria on Tuesday, Turkey's government put a motion before its parliament asking for authorization to take military action against ISIS."

LINK

CTyankee

Reaction Score
The Turkish Parliament apparently will vote tomorrow on this motion. Erdogan's party is in favor of the motion... Tomorrow we will see if it passes... This could be a big deal and be a big help to the USA depending on how Erdogan interprets the results of the vote.

ChicagoGG

Windy City Kitty
Reaction Score
The Turkish internal political situation has been under stress for quite some time with those who prefer secularization opposed to Erdogan's party moving towards more religious involvement in government. The military has always been the 3rd leg that prevented too much extreme movement in either direction. However, Erdogan has been made some major moves against the senior military leadership in the past few years. The ISIS threat may bring all three together for a time, or who knows...? I know all of you over there feel comfortable, but please be cautious, just in case.

Reaction Score
I agree with Chicago GG- have fun but be aware and stay safe!

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
the simple fear is being in a foreign country... away from family and friends, and not exactly knowing your way around plus the language barrier! Comparing it to any US city isn't truly fair!

Be safe everyone!

G

genosguy

The Turkish internal political situation has been under stress for quite some time with those who prefer secularization opposed to Erdogan's party moving towards more religious involvement in government. The military has always been the 3rd leg that prevented too much extreme movement in either direction. However, Erdogan has been made some major moves against the senior military leadership in the past few years. The ISIS threat may bring all three together for a time, or who knows...? I know all of you over there feel comfortable, but please be cautious, just in case.
Remember you aren't in Kansas any more. All the protections and provisions of the USA constitution don't apply outside our 12 mile limit. We may not be the best country in the world, but outside of Canada and the USA, I don't know of any better and at times I wonder of Canada (but rarely).

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Thanks, everyone, for the concerns. It feels very safe--we are about 1,000 miles away from the border fighting. We have made lots of friends--hotel front desk staff, tour guides, waiters, carpet salesmen, and basketball fans. If we need bail money, we know where to go. :)

Drumguy

Funny, now I mostly play guitar
Reaction Score
MilfordHusky said:
Thanks, everyone, for the concerns. It feels very safe--we are about 1,000 miles away from the border fighting. We have made lots of friends--hotel front desk staff, tour guides, waiters, carpet salesmen, and basketball fans. If we need bail money, we know where to go. :)
besides the obvious tourist spots don't miss the cisterns, featured in Dan Browns latest book! Istanbul is a wonderful city.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I have traveled extensively and worked in Jamaica for 6 years - not know for its safety. The issue anywhere is of course recognizing danger - for mid westerns arriving in NYC or Miami there is added unease because the cultures of those cities are so different from their home towns. When you add in language as a barrier to truly understanding what is happening around you it just adds another layer of mystery.
And being foreign and recognized as such may add another layer to the issues - in some instances giving you more protection as locals want to protect you, in others putting a larger target on your back. Generally the target is in the nature of monetary gain - my cousin with the rug shop, or the people trying to braid your hair on a beach in Jamaica. Occasionally it is a more ominous target.
But ... Turkey is a fairly well ordered society and Istanbul is an international city so I don't think anyone is in any greater danger there than in most large cities in the world.
The Kurdish issue is of course part of long standing troubled ethnic minority issue in Turkey - the eastern areas of Turkey contain a variety of ethnic minorities that have expressed grievances with the government that have flared up throughout both Ottoman and Turkish times. Turkey was very much opposed to the Iraqi Kurds forming a separate government when Hussein was overthrown as they felt it would foment unrest across the border with their Kurdish minority. At this time it appears that a Kurdish state may in fact be preferable to a refugee problem should ISIL make advances against the Iraqi Kurds.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom