Series | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Series

Reaction Score
I think in a hypothetical Hoops Beanpot, that either Yale or Harvard would be a better fit than BC.

Reaction Score
If they made their OOC schedule every year and included:

Cool pre-season tournament
Syracuse
Villanova
Georgetown
Providence
St Johns
MAJOR ranked program in any one of the B1G, Big XII, Pac 12 or ACC (I love Arizona, for example)
A-10 opponent (UMass, URI, VCU - rotate it)

I'm happy.

Cook that in with Cincinnati, Temple, Wichita St, Houston, Memphis, SMU - that's a pretty good/fun lineup, I think.

Reaction Score
I grew up in Middletown a Yankee, Giants, Knicks and Rangers fan primarily because I was a Yankee fan and my parents took me to a couple Yankee games every year and I adopted all the City's teams. We did go to Fenway a couple times but to me it was a dump compared to Yankee Stadium.

I'll never forget the feeling the first time I walked in from behind home plate and looked out at that expanse of grass. It looked impossible to hit a ball far enough to reach the bleachers in left center and center. Edit to add: Yankee Stadium was built in 1923 at a cost of $2.4 million ($33 Million in 2016 dollars according to a website I looked at). Imagine how long it would take to build today and at what cost.

Back then left center's wall was 457 feet and center 461. Mickey Mantle hit a lot of 457 foot doubles in his time and as a huge fan of Mantle I always wondered how many home runs he would have hit in a place like Atlanta where I went to a number of games in the early 70's. When Davey Johnson went to Atlanta from Baltimore, for example, he hit 43 home runs his first year whereas he'd never hit more than 18 in Baltimore.
My family is all Yankee fans (go Sox) so the only ball park I went to as a kid was Yankee Stadium. Girders got in the site line. The old Yankee Stadium absolutely sucked except for the tradition.
The one thing I did like is they let you exit through CF and you got a chance to run across the outfield and touch the CF monuments which were in play before the renovation.

Reaction Score
My family is all Yankee fans (go Sox) so the only ball park I went to as a kid was Yankee Stadium. Girders got in the site line. The old Yankee Stadium absolutely sucked except for the tradition.
The one thing I did like is they let you exit through CF and you got a chance to run across the outfield and touch the CF monuments which were in play before the renovation.

Fenway was really dumpy until the 2003 renovations, and still has an issue with almost the entire right field grandstand not actually facing the field. However, by the 1990's the old Yankee Stadium was just an unpleasant experience. Without the history it was Riverfront Stadium with grass.

Reaction Score
Fun anecdote:

In Boston in the pre-Uber days I hailed a cab and said to take me to "the Garden". He was a foreign driver (not a townie).

Cabby took me to the Boston Public Garden next to the Boston Common.

This illustrates that:
Some people do call it the Boston Garden (ie me).
Some people don't.

Reaction Score
It took 2.5 years and $2.3 billion.

Not sure I understand to what you're referring. The original Yankee Stadium took less than a year to build back in 1923 and only cost $2.4 million at the time.

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score
Fenway was really dumpy until the 2003 renovations, and still has an issue with almost the entire right field grandstand not actually facing the field. However, by the 1990's the old Yankee Stadium was just an unpleasant experience. Without the history it was Riverfront Stadium with grass.

It was Riverfront from 1977 on. Its was a dump with history from about 1970 on (though i wish i could have seen the "Real" old stadium.

Reaction Score
Boston Garden was part of Tex Rickard's grand plan to build 8 "Madison Square Gardens" in major cities around the country.
Just to jump on the ancient sports history bandwagon, and people may already know this, but Rickard founded the New York Rangers. Fans referred to the team as "Tex's Rangers" and the name stuck.

Reaction Score

Fenway had bathroom troughs and it was still less dumpy than Yankee Stadium.

Reaction Score
If they made their OOC schedule every year and included:

Cool pre-season tournament
Syracuse
Villanova
Georgetown
Providence
St Johns
MAJOR ranked program in any one of the B1G, Big XII, Pac 12 or ACC (I love Arizona, for example)
A-10 opponent (UMass, URI, VCU - rotate it)

I'm happy.

Cook that in with Cincinnati, Temple, Wichita St, Houston, Memphis, SMU - that's a pretty good/fun lineup, I think.
That's a great schedule, but there aren't enough buy games in it. You're doing a H-H, or a H-H-N with all of those teams, except the A-10, which you might be able to get 2-for-1. For instance, I count 8 buy-games for this season (Morehead, Drexel, UMKC, Cornell, UNH, UML, Lafayette, Manhattan) out of 12 total OOC games (I don't know how many potential games come out of whatever pre-season tournament we're in).

The 7 games there only leave space for 4 buy-games (tournament counts as a "game" I believe). Not enough for the coffers, sadly.

Reaction Score
I grew up in Middletown a Yankee, Giants, Knicks and Rangers fan primarily because I was a Yankee fan and my parents took me to a couple Yankee games every year and I adopted all the City's teams. We did go to Fenway a couple times but to me it was a dump compared to Yankee Stadium.

I'll never forget the feeling the first time I walked in from behind home plate and looked out at that expanse of grass. It looked impossible to hit a ball far enough to reach the bleachers in left center and center. Edit to add: Yankee Stadium was built in 1923 at a cost of $2.4 million ($33 Million in 2016 dollars according to a website I looked at). Imagine how long it would take to build today and at what cost.

Back then left center's wall was 457 feet and center 461. Mickey Mantle hit a lot of 457 foot doubles in his time and as a huge fan of Mantle I always wondered how many home runs he would have hit in a place like Atlanta where I went to a number of games in the early 70's. When Davey Johnson went to Atlanta from Baltimore, for example, he hit 43 home runs his first year whereas he'd never hit more than 18 in Baltimore.
Fenway is a dump.

I hadn't been there or to Lansdowne Boylston in many years and assumed they had made it a lot nicer but the whole thing still felt dumpy. People always compare Fenway and the area to Wrigley and the area. The Wrigley experience is way nicer.

Reaction Score
Fenway is a dump.

I hadn't been there or to Lansdowne Boylston in many years and assumed they had made it a lot nicer but the whole thing still felt dumpy. People always compare Fenway and the area to Wrigley and the area. The Wrigley experience is way nicer.
Wrigley is a dump. The area is nicer but not the stadium

Reaction Score
Wrigley is a dump. The area is nicer but not the stadium
Wrigley surroundings blow it away. Both stadiums are pretty cr@ppy but Wrigley just seems nicer to me, some more things going for it and has done a pretty good job of blending in a little new with the old. Fenway has more things for kids to do and better baseball. I'm probably not the best guy to talk about Boston because I just don't think much of the city.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom