Series | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Series

Reaction Score
UConn, Providence, BC, UMass in a "New England Basketball Beanpot" every year at the Garden would be dope.
Which Garden? TD or MSG? To me only works in Boston.

Reaction Score
Can you even play multiple tourneys in the same regular season? Not worth giving up the preseason tourney for this. But I wouldn't be opposed to a "New England 4" kind of round-robin (like Philly's Big Five).

Reaction Score
He obviously meant the “Garden where championships are actually won” (Boston)

;)
Do people actually call it the Garden though? MSG is universally known as The Garden.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Was hoping for Syracuse first, because of course. Rivalries are the best.

Second on tap would be Villanova cause they are currently the boss.

Anything else I couldn't care too much about.
Agree. I'd throw Georgetown in there because they still have some marquee value. Maybe the Jersey schools because they are close and in a good recruiting area.

Reaction Score
If you’re a Boston fan/in Boston? Yes.
I didn't realize that since it doesn't have all that much history and has had different names. I'm also NYC centric, growing up I grew up almost equidistant from Boston and New York but when you said you're going to "The City" 100% of the time that meant you were going to NYC.

Reaction Score
I didn't realize that since it doesn't have all that much history and has had different names. I'm also NYC centric, growing up I grew up almost equidistant from Boston and New York but when you said you're going to "The City" 100% of the time that meant you were going to NYC.

The old Boston Garden had a whole lot of history. Also a reminder that the current MSG was built some time in the 60’s.

Nonetheless, the “new” Boston Garden has still seen a Stanley cup and NBA championship won in this century, something MSG cannot say.

Reaction Score
Providence at MSG doesn't make a whole lot of sense.
PC at Boston Garden makes more sense. Would like to see the Nova series continue with an annual game at MSG.

Reaction Score
I grew up in Torrington, and live in NYC. Growing up "The Garden" meant Boston Garden, "MSG" meant Madison Square Garden.

Here in NYC – I lived here from 2001-2011, and moved back to the City again earlier this year – people say either "MSG" or "The Garden." I'd say about 60-70% of the time it's "MSG" tho.

Reaction Score
The old Boston Garden had a whole lot of history. Also a reminder that the current MSG was built some time in the 60’s.

Nonetheless, the “new” Boston Garden has still seen a Stanley cup and NBA championship won in this century, something MSG cannot say.
Yes, the old Boston Garden was also called The Garden and saw the best NBA basketball ever played but MSG has seen a ton of history, The World's Most Famous Arena was just a marketing ploy but seems a fitting nickname.

I remember as a teenager people calling it the Fleet Center, I guess since the bank name change and it getting back Garden as part of it's name it's probably called The Garden again. And all along I'm sure some never stopped calling it The Garden like some White Sox fans never stopped calling it Comiskey. Weird thing is you don't hear anyone say Chicago Stadium anymore.

Sad thing is once a building like the Boston Garden is gone it's gone forever, you can never get back that history as hard as you try. It's why I was so sad to see Yankee Stadium go and why places like Fenway, Wrigley, and MSG should never be torn down.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Well that's disappointing. I'm fine with the series but let's just say they weren't the first team that came to mind... or the second.. or the third...

It is my first choice, because I'm 20 or so minutes from the Dunk. Used to go to every PC road game. Only downside would be those neutral site games...boo.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score

The old Garden's floor was legendary. Bird apparently knew every dead bounce spot by heart.

Reaction Score
I'd love to get something going with Georgetown and Pitt as well.
Yeah. Danny likes regional scheduling and if we had Nova, Cuse, Gtown and PC/St. John's every year with a good tourney then our ooc TOS would be fine and the rivalries would remain. I'd
Be in favor of having the first 3 be home/msg/away rotation so that we are in NYC every year and have an ooc marquee home and away game guaranteed yearly.

Dove

Part of the 2%, but 100% wood.
Reaction Score
Dumb question: Boston Garden and MSG were arenas. Why were they called gardens?

Reaction Score
Dumb question: Boston Garden and MSG were arenas. Why were they called gardens?
I can speak to MSGs reason. The original arena was located near Madison Square Park, hence "The Garden". The park is still here, my office building is on the park, hence my knnowledge of the area. Madison Square Park is also the birthplace of the Shake Shake and next to the Flatiron Building, to give a little more local info. Really nice area of Flatiron/Chelsea.

Reaction Score
Agree, LOL remember when some reporter made the mistake of calling BC vs UConn a rivalry when we beat them like 21 times in a row. Jimmy went nuts on him.
At any rate, one thing about this series is it would put BC out of the New England rivalry conversation.
What’s interesting is PC hasn’t really targeted NY like UConn. Their big recruiting areas are New England and VA/NC.
Newsflash we fought these 'rivalry', recruiting, basketball & football game battles with BCU and although we won almost every time in the first 3/4 ultimately we lost war.

The philosophy didn't work. We did sink UMass using this same philosophy but ultimately that also hurts us. College basketball sucks in NE and UConn is partially to blame. Need to revise the strategy to rise all the boats in the harbor because right now being the biggest ship with no water to sail in ain't working.

Reaction Score
I can speak to MSGs reason. The original arena was located near Madison Square Park, hence "The Garden". The park is still here, my office building is on the park, hence my knnowledge of the area. Madison Square Park is also the birthplace of the Shake Shake and next to the Flatiron Building, to give a little more local info. Really nice area of Flatiron/Chelsea.

The original arena was also an open air arena.

Boston Garden was part of Tex Rickard's grand plan to build 8 "Madison Square Gardens" in major cities around the country. The plan died with Rickard and the Great Depression, with only Boston's Garden being built.

Reaction Score
I grew up in Middletown a Yankee, Giants, Knicks and Rangers fan primarily because I was a Yankee fan and my parents took me to a couple Yankee games every year and I adopted all the City's teams. We did go to Fenway a couple times but to me it was a dump compared to Yankee Stadium.

I'll never forget the feeling the first time I walked in from behind home plate and looked out at that expanse of grass. It looked impossible to hit a ball far enough to reach the bleachers in left center and center. Edit to add: Yankee Stadium was built in 1923 at a cost of $2.4 million ($33 Million in 2016 dollars according to a website I looked at). Imagine how long it would take to build today and at what cost.

Back then left center's wall was 457 feet and center 461. Mickey Mantle hit a lot of 457 foot doubles in his time and as a huge fan of Mantle I always wondered how many home runs he would have hit in a place like Atlanta where I went to a number of games in the early 70's. When Davey Johnson went to Atlanta from Baltimore, for example, he hit 43 home runs his first year whereas he'd never hit more than 18 in Baltimore.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom