Serie A to ESPN+ | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Serie A to ESPN+

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
...which is even moreso why Serie A plus ESPN+ = a tree falling in the forest.

Also your well-taken point is exactly why @Guapo is wrong here, too. If the AAC goes to ESPN+ in mass quantities, turn out the lights.

It's just another example that they are growing the content pretty quickly. You might not like soccer but they got a lot of it and put it on there quickly. It's not different than any streaming service. Wow, Netflix made Ozark - tree in the forest - but you get a couple hundred Ozarks and you've got something.

Reaction Score
...which is even moreso why Serie A plus ESPN+ = a tree falling in the forest.

Also your well-taken point is exactly why @Guapo is wrong here, too. If the AAC goes to ESPN+ in mass quantities, turn out the lights.

Yeah, let me clarify my point here; I don't want 100% of the AAC to go to ESPN+ but, for example, the if I had to choose between ESPN+ and the AAC content that is currently on CBS Sports Net; I'd choose ESPN+ to house that content.

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score
It's just another example that they are growing the content pretty quickly. You might not like soccer but they got a lot of it and put it on there quickly. It's not different than any streaming service. Wow, Netflix made Ozark - tree in the forest - but you get a couple hundred Ozarks and you've got something.

Yes, but you can grow content easily when it's, essentially, throw-away. Non-juventus Serie A is pretty much that.

If they can piece together enough subscribers with flotsam and jetsam (i.e. everything that was on ESPN360 + some other widening content like 2nd tier FA Cup and Serie A), great. I just don't want UConn to be the W12 Phaeton in the VW dealership, if you get me.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Yes, but you can grow content easily when it's, essentially, throw-away. Non-juventus Serie A is pretty much that.

If they can piece together enough subscribers with flotsam and jetsam (i.e. everything that was on ESPN360 + some other widening content like 2nd tier FA Cup and Serie A), great. I just don't want UConn to be the W12 Phaeton in the VW dealership, if you get me.

I gots some bad news for you....

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score
I gots some bad news for you....

Yeah - I'm deftly afraid that's exactly what will happen. If it does, it had better come with a huge payday (which I understand is just as unlikely).

My hope is that the conference isn't a 2-bit-crack junkie, and going for the latest fix. I get, to some extent, selling content on the cheap for exposure, in the last round. In this round, you don't go the opposite way, unless you get it reciprocally equal. Dropping exposure with a still-crappy revenue stream would be suicidal.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Yeah - I'm deftly afraid that's exactly what will happen. If it does, it had better come with a huge payday (which I understand is just as unlikely).

My hope is that the conference isn't a 2-bit-crack junkie, and going for the latest fix. I get, to some extent, selling content on the cheap for exposure, in the last round. In this round, you don't go the opposite way, unless you get it reciprocally equal. Dropping exposure with a still-crappy revenue stream would be suicidal.

I suspect they will get more linear network exposure because so much ACC content will move to that network and then everything else AAC will go to +. Might mean they don’t sell off inventory to CBSSN.

Reaction Score

If this is the outcome, it may be the straw that breaks UConn football's back.

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score
I suspect they will get more linear network exposure because so much ACC content will move to that network and then everything else AAC will go to +. Might mean they don’t sell off inventory to CBSSN.

Obviously, we would prefer the sold-off games to go to RSN's, but that probably doesn't suit the rest of the conference.

I could live with the sold-off only content going to ESPN+, but only if it potentially comes within an order of magnitude of what we would get from SNY, in our case. I doubt that happens, though, because of the dregs of the AAC.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Obviously, we would prefer the sold-off games to go to RSN's, but that probably doesn't suit the rest of the conference.

I could live with the sold-off only content going to ESPN+, but only if it potentially comes within an order of magnitude of what we would get from SNY, in our case. I doubt that happens, though, because of the dregs of the AAC.

Well plus you divide it by 12.

Theoretically they could sell stuff to SNY and put it on ESPN+ but essentially defeats the purpose of putting it on + in the first place.

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score
Well plus you divide it by 12.

Theoretically they could sell stuff to SNY and put it on ESPN+ but essentially defeats the purpose of putting it on + in the first place.

...except if they think they could drive more $ from SNY buying it vs. subs on +. In our case, probably, though UConn fans buying in might turn that tide (I can dream, right?)

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
...except if they think they could drive more $ from SNY buying it vs. subs on +. In our case, probably, though UConn fans buying in might turn that tide (I can dream, right?)

Their long term play is going to be to grow + - obviously in the short term selling stuff to SNY would be more lucrative.

Reaction Score
Their long term play is going to be to grow + - obviously in the short term selling stuff to SNY would be more lucrative.

This is one of the reasons I'm ok with hitching the wagon to ESPN+

Disney is going to go all in on this; if I'm going to partner with anyone in the media world, Disney is at the top of that list.

They have the brand, the expertise and the muscle to make this work.

Reaction Score
...but the whole point of this thread is Serie A, and more importantly, ESPN+. My point is that moving a non-entity to ESPN+ doesn't make this newsworthy.

I'm also not going to do the math, but i suspect that the average AAC rating is at least close to, if not surpasses, the EPL. It likely beats MLS and CL. So, I'm not sure why you take this so personally...

MLS TV ratings a concern given they account for just 6% of soccer TV viewing - World Soccer Talk

If you think Tulane/ Tulsa gets more viewers than ManU/Tottenham then you are high and out of touch.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
If you think Tulane/ Tulsa gets more viewers than ManU/Tottenham then you are high and out of touch.

If Tulane/Tulsa is on ESPN2 in prime time on a Thursday it does. But that is against NBCSN at 10AM on Saturday.

Tulane/Tulsa at 7 on ESPNU doesn’t get a rating above pets stepping on remote controls.

Maybe the best post ever was when Nostical said UConn had a lot of interest because an ESPNU replay at 1am had 48k viewers - which is almost exactly FIVE Neilson households who fell asleep with a live game on earlier.

Reaction Score
If Tulane/Tulsa is on ESPN2 in prime time on a Thursday it does. But that is against NBCSN at 10AM on Saturday.

Tulane/Tulsa at 7 on ESPNU doesn’t get a rating above pets stepping on remote controls.

Maybe the best post ever was when Nostical said UConn had a lot of interest because an ESPNU replay at 1am had 48k viewers - which is almost exactly FIVE Neilson household who fell asleep with a live game on earlier.

Dude. More people watched Man U Tottenham today streaming in their cubes than will ever watch Tulsa-Tulane at any time of the day.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Dude. More people watched Man U Tottenham today streaming in their cubes than will ever watch Tulsa-Tulane at any time of the day.

In the United States the numbers don’t reflect that today. The trend is clear but ESPN and ESPN2 get 7 figures for Kent St and Buffalo still.

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score

...but I'm the "out of touch" one, right? Sigh...

Reaction Score
...but I'm the "out of touch" one, right? Sigh...

You pretty much are.
In the United States the numbers don’t reflect that today. The trend is clear but ESPN and ESPN2 get 7 figures for Kent St and Buffalo still.

Only because people forget to turn the channel. I’ll take intentional streaming figures over accidental vieweerahip. Nobody cares about Kent State. Nobody.

Reaction Score
Nobody is fighting over MAC Football, nobody is fight over CUSA, nobody is fighting over the AAC.

If Premier League rights in the US open up then there would be a fight.

You get the fees and the streaming revenues. Who pays to watch the MAC on streaming again?

I’ll hang up and listen.

Reaction Score
Exposure itself does have a value.

Some conference streaming may become a way to have boutique programming bundles...like my $4.99 per month British shows on Acorn or my $14.00 Netflix...but such boutique a'la carte programming may lack national exposure.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
So the EPL got a billion from NBC for 6 years up to 2021. The AAC got a billion from ESPN for 12 years until 2032.

Safe to say the EPL is worth a wee bit more.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
The EPL pulls in about $2.5B in television rights revenue every year...that's a huge number.

The NFL, which is perpetually in dire trouble according to the media, pulls in about three times that.

We have a ways to go, but those leagues had a head start.

Reaction Score

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom