September UConn Recruiting Thread | Page 2 | The Boneyard

September UConn Recruiting Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Well I know one guy who isn't reading the recruit thread...

Reese is down to five schools and UConn is not among them.

I know its been posted multiple times, but concrete information like this sort of gets overlooked when I think we post every Twitter follow, every Instagram follow. I think the recruiting threads are great but sometimes we should condense the information. Not every kid followed on social media is some legit target. But then we post about them like they are.

I don't know, just trying to provide some constructive way between individual recruiting threads and the mega long threads.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
I know its been posted multiple times, but concrete information like this sort of gets overlooked when I think we post every Twitter follow, every Instagram follow. I think the recruiting threads are great but sometimes we should condense the information. Not every kid followed on social media is some legit target. But then we post about them like they are.

I don't know, just trying to provide some constructive way between individual recruiting threads and the mega long threads.

In my experience, when the coaches are following a highly regarded player there's a reason for that: it's because UConn--for the moment at least--has interest. When a player follows the coach back it's potential proof of shared interest.

A couple of examples:

Interest in Mir Mclean was completely unknown until she and Jasmine Lister began following one another on IG. Two months later and Mir committed to UConn.

The only thing that was known about '21 guard Payton Verhulst re: UConn was that she hadn't been offered by them which was reported in a local Kansas outlet. About a month after that report Chris Dailey began following Verhulst on social media. Did that inform us of anything? I'd say it did since UConn is on her just-announced finalist list of schools.

Many of the social media follows happen shortly after live action like AAU ball or international tournaments where teams including UConn are present. In other words, I think they are extremely helpful in forming a list of players in the Huskies' recruiting net.

Again, I don't really understand the issue with the length of the recruit threads because unlike most other threads there are no walls of text that result in a hour of reading to get through 4 pages. With rare exceptions the recruit thread is mostly quick notes, videos, tweets, or short scouting reports attached with links.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Again, I don't really understand the issue with the length of the recruit threads because unlike most other threads there are no walls of text that result in a hour of reading to get through 4 pages. With rare exceptions the recruit thread is mostly quick notes, videos, tweets, or short scouting reports attached with links.

Agree. I don't see the difficulty in going to the last page of a long thread. Most people who visit the board for the first time have some experience with forums and it isn't that tough to navigate. For example, I like to be able to go back in time and read what was said about a player before she went elsewhere. What may be the problem is the time it takes for some devices to load those long threads.

I'm sure other sites are happy their traffic doesn't create this problem. :rolleyes:

Reaction Score
If it’s a long thread I just start from the newest posts and scroll back to see how interested I am

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
There ought to be something between mega-threads and umpteen threads covering umpteen pieces of news. I'm sorry I can't explicate a magic thread size solution, but maybe I can shed a little light.

Cordorone is right that the issue is mega-threads. Not sure it's recruiting in particular, although that's been the general topic of most megas (and Collier in Minnesota, with 800 posts and 67,000 views, isn't exactly a shorty).

The problem with mega-threads as I understand it is that they're discouraging to first-time users. This isn't just an adminanimus (come one, come all, get your new words here). It's also the view of professional site analysts.

And maybe recruiting news is what lures a lot of first-timers, so Collier/Minnie can get as long in the tooth as it wishes and no one says "Ye gads, it's a mega-thread hiding in plain sight."

So anyway, the rationale is that more experienced people will know to go to the end of a long thread for current news even if they haven't been following the thread all along, as many of them do.

Newbies on the other hand will just click on the thread, start reading, and find the news, as I put it to another mod, "...discouragingly unfathomable and old."

He (you can guess who) replied "Not only an apt description of many threads, but also an accurate description of many of our posters!"

Like I said, I haven't given it enough thought to suggest how threads can be broken down a bit without falling prey to Occam's Razor, and ideas are welcome.

(Recruiting threads broken down more not only by class but maybe by time of posting?)

This issue is a work in progress. All that's happened so far is Whack-a-Mole on a few of the most overgrown moles.

"Why me?" they cry.

"Because you're too big."

"But how big is too big?"

"You found out when you got whacked."

So now I'm being distracted by wondering if there's a word for an otherwise magnanimous admin with an animus. I'll work on that while you all work on how big is too big. We'll compare notes later.
"Adminanimus" is a delightful neologism. Nice work and worth the read in an otherwise hackneyed thread topic.

JS

Reaction Score
"Adminanimus" is a delightful neologism. Nice work and worth the read in an otherwise hackneyed thread topic.

If our admin were of a certain zoological persuasion, he might be voted the hippopotamus with unanimous adminanimus.

Reaction Score
Halle Douglass guard #67 ProspectNation #94 ESPNW 2020 verbals to Wisconsin. Had 30 offers and narrowed choices to UW Minn and Marquette.
Just a heads up, that belongs on the non-UConn recruiting thread:)

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Just a heads up, that belongs on the non-UConn recruiting thread:)

Yes, perhaps a suggestion of adding UConn to the title. That would make things more precise and maybe easier for people to pick out among all the threads.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Jenna Isai ('22) working her way back from a summer ACL tear:

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Blue Star has shuffled some of their rankings.

For 2023, Judea Watkins continues to be #1, but they've moved UConn POI Jada Williams down from #2 to #7 which I don't get considering she had a good summer.

Another POI moved down is Milaysia Fulwiley, from #3 to #6. Also a head-scratcher.

Two players I think UConn will be in on at some point--Essence Cody & Chloe Clardy--come in at #5 and #15 respectively.

How Breya Cunningham isn't ranked, much less in the top-10, is mystifying.

Also some changes to the top-10 of 2024. The #1 remains Kendall Dudley who UConn will definitely recruit. The interesting one is Hope Masonius at #5. She is the youngest of the Masonius basketball clan, and she is followed on social media by Chris Dailey. Her mom Ellen was an assistant under Geno back in the '80's.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score

Perhaps a policy limiting recruiting threads to a shelf life of 30 days might work. i.e., a recruiting thread for the month of October would open on Oct 1, and close on the 31st at midnight. A new one would then start moments later for the month of November with a duration of 30 days.

JS

Reaction Score
Perhaps a policy limiting recruiting threads to a shelf life of 30 days might work. i.e., a recruiting thread for the month of October would open on Oct 1, and close on the 31st at midnight. A new one would then start moments later for the month of November with a duration of 30 days.
Trying that on for . . . um, size.

Note the new title of this thread.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Bueckers dunks in practice:

She was all energy at 9.

I can't even do that now. As Dominique Wilkins now says, "I used to do that, now I can't even jump off a curb.".

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
How tall is September? Is she a guard or a forward?
I don't have the exact figure now, but it is growing. It once was seven, but now it is nine. Stay tuned!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom