Paige Bueckers, 5-11 PG
Mir McLean, 5-11 F
Nike Muhl, 5-10 PG

2021 Commits:
Saylor Poffenbarger, 6-2 G

Made Payton Verhulst's top-9:

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Verhulst looked very good during the U16 games. She has a nice shot and is deceptively athletic. I remember reading somewhere that she had offers from "basically everyone" except ND and UConn. She's a very skilled Wing, but I think UConn has very similar kids already

victor64

retired Ohio teacher
Reaction Score
Why will it get locked?
Mods want more specific recruit threads. This one should be called "Versulst announces her final 9."

Reaction Score
Mods want more specific recruit threads. This one should be called "Versulst announces her final 9."
Ahhh, thank you. Will start doing that in the future.

Reaction Score
Makes me sad. I like the general recruit threads instead of having to remember a specific player’s name. Threads like this are good archives of thoughts - if people are behaving, I vote they stay (and yes, I realize that the boneyard is not a democracy and I may be in the minority here *shrug*)

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Makes me sad. I like the general recruit threads instead of having to remember a specific player’s name. Threads like this are good archives of thoughts - if people are behaving, I vote they stay (and yes, I realize that the boneyard is not a democracy and I may be in the minority here *shrug*)

There is a ton of recruiting information, from offers, to scouting reports, to video clips, to social media follows. Now about 1% of that can be shared here. Nobody's making umpteen threads to cover each piece of info.

Reaction Score
Admin has an animus towards mega-threads, especially recruiting mega-threads and it isn't new.
His playhouse, his rules.
::shrug::

JS

Reaction Score
Admin has an animus towards mega-threads, especially recruiting mega-threads and it isn't new.
His playhouse, his rules.
::shrug::
Nobody's making umpteen threads to cover each piece of info.

There ought to be something between mega-threads and umpteen threads covering umpteen pieces of news. I'm sorry I can't explicate a magic thread size solution, but maybe I can shed a little light.

Cordorone is right that the issue is mega-threads. Not sure it's recruiting in particular, although that's been the general topic of most megas (and Collier in Minnesota, with 800 posts and 67,000 views, isn't exactly a shorty).

The problem with mega-threads as I understand it is that they're discouraging to first-time users. This isn't just an adminanimus (come one, come all, get your new words here). It's also the view of professional site analysts.

And maybe recruiting news is what lures a lot of first-timers, so Collier/Minnie can get as long in the tooth as it wishes and no one says "Ye gads, it's a mega-thread hiding in plain sight."

So anyway, the rationale is that more experienced people will know to go to the end of a long thread for current news even if they haven't been following the thread all along, as many of them do.

Newbies on the other hand will just click on the thread, start reading, and find the news, as I put it to another mod, "...discouragingly unfathomable and old."

He (you can guess who) replied "Not only an apt description of many threads, but also an accurate description of many of our posters!"

Like I said, I haven't given it enough thought to suggest how threads can be broken down a bit without falling prey to Occam's Razor, and ideas are welcome.

(Recruiting threads broken down more not only by class but maybe by time of posting?)

This issue is a work in progress. All that's happened so far is Whack-a-Mole on a few of the most overgrown moles.

"Why me?" they cry.

"Because you're too big."

"But how big is too big?"

"You found out when you got whacked."

So now I'm being distracted by wondering if there's a word for an otherwise magnanimous admin with an animus. I'll work on that while you all work on how big is too big. We'll compare notes later.

Last edited:

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
To me, it'd be inefficient to make several recruit threads based on class and other topics. Just too much work to find them--surely they'd be unpinned--and post info big and small in various places.

If the issue is simply one of length I'd think a marker could be set where a new fresh thread gets made every 20, 30, 50, whatever pages. That'll be a new thread on the topic probably every month or so depending on the time of year, but it's better than not having a thread at all.

I get that new posters would have a lot to catch up on, but they'd have that anyway if every recruit tidbit got its own thread, only in that case they'd have to find all the threads before digging in. That's why I thought one thread was the way to go when I suggested it years ago.

The one thing about the recruit thread: despite all the posts and pages it is unlike most other threads in that there isn't endless dialogue to sift through. A large portion of the content is things like Tweets and videos. Very little in the way of drawn-out banter that can be time-consuming to read.

JS

Reaction Score
If the issue is simply one of length I'd think a marker could be set where a new fresh thread gets made every 20, 30, 50, whatever pages. That'll be a new thread on the topic probably every month or so depending on the time of year, but it's better than not having a thread at all.

How about simply a monthly thread? September Recruiting Thread, October Recruiting Thread, etc.? Does that sound viable? Or just stupid?

I get that new posters would have a lot to catch up on, but they'd have that anyway if every recruit tidbit got its own thread, only in that case they'd have to find all the threads before digging in. That's why I thought one thread was the way to go when I suggested it years ago.

And I encouraged you and pinned it.

Of course, it wasn't my head being offered.

Reaction Score
On a related note. Why do most D1 volleyball teams have 2 or 3 athletic 6"2"+ players? And there are probably less than 10 athletic 6'2"+ post players in the 2020 basketball class in the entire country?

Last edited:

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
On a related note. Why do most D1 volleyball teams have 2 or 3 athletic 6"2"+ players? And there are probably less than 10 athletic 6'2"+ post players in the 2020 basketball class in the entire country?
Because there where many young, tall, female athletes are turning to now. It has been discussed on this board recently and last year. Also, it's not just the tall ones who are turning to volleyball.

Reaction Score

Nooooooooooooooooooooo

If that's going to be the case then I request a prefix system (like on the Men's BB board) for RECRUITING, OT, WNBA, etc.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
The problem with mega-threads as I understand it is that they're discouraging to first-time users.

Fair enough.

But 85 separate threads cluttering the board is discouraging to regular users.

I already have an issue with the proliferation of OT topics, and I think this is going to make things worse. Esp since many threads seem to have obscure titles like "Smith" or "Georgia kid", which could be about recruiting or Katie Smith & Maya Moore (or Ono or ...).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom