September non-UConn recruiting thread | Page 6 | The Boneyard

September non-UConn recruiting thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Be interesting to see if the Iowa schools have a legit shot at Jenica Lewis.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
Be interesting to see if the Iowa schools have a legit shot at Jenica Lewis.

If Iowa is able to make strides while Caitlin Clark is aboard (w-l, B1G, NCAA's, recruiting), perhaps.....

Reaction Score
I don't know why so many here keep misconstruing what my point was. * sigh * Oh,well. I can only assume I'm not doing a very good job of explaining it. Let me try one last time by going in the reverse order. And even if I believe SC is the exception(I don't)then that's what they would be - the exception. I was making a general point(s) about WBB overall.

#1) Top tier teams, which I define as those PERPETUALLY in the top 8 of all programs are able to stay there year after year because they are able to recruit top players from everywhere - including the best local talent (although that's no longer absolutely necessary for success).
#2) To first get to that level they have to attract that first great player LOCALLY/Regionally - and this is the gist of my point here. You can't make the leap to elite level w/o that first great local player.
#3) To attract that first player you need to have SOME success and (this is very important also) you need to get some national attention/spotlight through tournament success (sweet 16). Most people do not see or pay attention to a team/player until they reach that level.

That elite team used to be Tennessee but has been replaced by SC. Although Welch was from SC she wasn't that program-changing player. Neither was Mitchell who disappeared in their sweet 16 appearance - but freshman Coates scored 22 points and got 10 boards in a losing effort. But HOW or WHO got Wilson to remain local doesn't matter. The fact is she did stay local, she was that program-changing talent, and you need that one local player (combined with very good coaching and a solid supporting cast - which the other top 25 teams have as well) to make the leap to that elite level.
I don't really agree with your point, I don't think.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
If Iowa is able to make strides while Caitlin Clark is aboard (w-l, B1G, NCAA's, recruiting), perhaps.....

That's probably their only chance unless she's simply fit on staying home.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
That's probably their only chance unless she's simply fit on staying home.
...which was apparently one of the reasons why CC chose Iowa...plus the great job Iowa had done staying in touch with her throughout the years. Which they seem to be doing here..

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Oregon seems to be on the super sized bandwagon lately. Prince, the Canadian Fr. this year, Basham coming in. They had a 6-6 or so juco transfer last year, but she barely played and it looks like she left.

Oregon St. has had somewhat mixed results w/ really, really tall players. I'd say fairly limited success since Hamblin left.

Reaction Score
Oregon seems to be on the super sized bandwagon lately. Prince, the Canadian Fr. this year, Basham coming in. They had a 6-6 or so juco transfer last year, but she barely played and it looks like she left.

Oregon St. has had somewhat mixed results w/ really, really tall players. I'd say fairly limited success since Hamblin left.
Mixed results and bad luck is how I see their situation. Wasn't one issue the discovery of a health issue for one of their post players? I remember reading the story and thought how lucky she was with the team at the time when it was discovered.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Mixed results and bad luck is how I see their situation. Wasn't one issue the discovery of a health issue for one of their post players? I remember reading the story and thought how lucky she was with the team at the time when it was discovered.
Yeah, Andrea Aquino has never played and most likely never will. She was an intriguing prospect.

But they haven't gotten a whole lot out of Grymek, Morris and Mitrovic, all 6-7+.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom