September 2020 UConn Recruiting Thread | Page 2 | The Boneyard

September 2020 UConn Recruiting Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Well that's one way to cover your bases, but it sure doesn't look good.
It certainly is unconventional, but I’m trying not to read too much into this. Besides being a high level baller her “intangibles” scream UCONN. There was a video of her addressing some kids at a basketball camp after not making USA basketball U16. She was poised, articulate, and determined. She already has a bunch of kids looking up to her in her community and UCONN would be a perfect place to enhance her platform.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
It certainly is unconventional, but I’m trying not to read too much into this. Besides being a high level baller her “intangibles” scream UCONN. There was a video of her addressing some kids at a basketball camp after not making USA basketball U16. She was poised, articulate, and determined. She already has a bunch of kids looking up to her in her community and UCONN would be a perfect place to enhance her platform.
Unconventional is one kind word for it. But everybody will goof up once in a while.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I've gone on record early on and said that Azzi's pull up is the best I've seen since Maya. Also her power drive to the basket is just phenomenal.
Maya is taller, stronger, and more explosive, but Azzi may be more accurate. They are on the very short list of best jump shooters I've seen.

Reaction Score
Maya is taller, stronger, and more explosive, but Azzi may be more accurate. They are on the very short list of best jump shooters I've seen.

I think Maya's shot is harder to defend because her release is much quicker. Azzi's shots seem to pause in her hand a bit before the release. A lockdown defender like some recent Uconn player may be able to defend it.

Reaction Score
Unconventional is one kind word for it. But everybody will goof up once in a while.

These kids can't win with some of you. If they put out a list, some people think they are trying to draw attention to them. If they don't put out a list but just inform people that it has been narrowed down, they still get criticized.

Reaction Score
I've gone on record early on and said that Azzi's pull up is the best I've seen since Maya. Also her power drive to the basket is just phenomenal.

It was phenomenal, it remains to be seen whether she will ever regain the explosiveness that she had pre-injury. In the tape I have seen on Fudd recently, she is simply not the same player! She is still a great player and an otherworldly shooter, but she just does not have the speed and explosion she used to have. I am really hoping that as time goes she regains it, it really has not been that long since her surgery and knees tend to take around 18 months to get fully back.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I think Maya's shot is harder to defend because her release is much quicker. Azzi's shots seem to pause in her hand a bit before the release. A lockdown defender like some recent Uconn player may be able to defend it.
I tried to do some simple video comparisons last night. From memory, I had though that Maya's release was substantially higher. Upon examination, I didn't see a huge difference. Maya's release IS higher, but part of that is because she's more than an inch taller and has better elevation. The release relative to the top of her head, is more similar to Azzi's release than I had thought.

I've seen post-injury Azzi in person only once, so I can't assess what she has lost. But she has nice moves and uses screens very well, so I think she can get her shot. Would a defender like Aubrey have more success slowing Azzi down than slowing Maya at a comparable age? My guess is yes. Maya would be too big and strong.

Keep in mind that Maya came into college as a 75% FT shooter and left as an 85% shooter. Azzi would come in as a 90% FT shooter.

If Azzi has lost a step, the floor for her might be something like what KML achieved in college (2x All-American, 3x NCAA champion, record setter, best shooter in college). The ceiling for Azzi is indeterminate. Mount Rushmore is certainly possible.

Reaction Score
I tried to do some simple video comparisons last night. From memory, I had though that Maya's release was substantially higher. Upon examination, I didn't see a huge difference. Maya's release IS higher, but part of that is because she's more than an inch taller and has better elevation. The release relative to the top of her head, is more similar to Azzi's release than I had thought.

I've seen post-injury Azzi in person only once, so I can't assess what she has lost. But she has nice moves and uses screens very well, so I think she can get her shot. Would a defender like Aubrey have more success slowing Azzi down than slowing Maya at a comparable age? My guess is yes. Maya would be too big and strong.

Keep in mind that Maya came into college as a 75% FT shooter and left as an 85% shooter. Azzi would come in as a 90% FT shooter.

If Azzi has lost a step, the floor for her might be something like what KML achieved in college (2x All-American, 3x NCAA champion, record setter, best shooter in college). The ceiling for Azzi is indeterminate. Mount Rushmore is certainly possible.

I am not saying that one shot is lower or higher than the other. I just think that the ball seems to leave Maya's hand quicker (no slight pause) compared to Azzi's shot which is also a thing of beauty. That fraction of a second may allow a lockdown defender to close out easier. Again just my perception watching the video.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Big news here. PBR guys do great work. Gotten a lot of info from them especially during AAU months. This will be very interesting. And I guess Dan Olsen will focus on his personal subscription site. Thanks to Stoli for the tip.

As I posted on the other forum, hopefully we've seen the last of fifty-three 5-star players.

Reaction Score

I don’t think she’s lost a step, she’s just not using it. Still in protect mode, staying out of traffic, and not risking getting caught in the air and getting bumped. She’ll get there.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Yes to all. But Azzi is easily the better ball handler and penetrator off the dribble from the perimeter. Azzi is a true guard while Maya was a tweener. But that doesn't mean if Azzi comes to UConn she'll be on the wall next to Maya.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
It was phenomenal, it remains to be seen whether she will ever regain the explosiveness that she had pre-injury. In the tape I have seen on Fudd recently, she is simply not the same player! She is still a great player and an otherworldly shooter, but she just does not have the speed and explosion she used to have. I am really hoping that as time goes she regains it, it really has not been that long since her surgery and knees tend to take around 18 months to get fully back.
A year for some, 18 months to 2 years for others. You are correct.

Reaction Score
As I posted on the other forum, hopefully we've seen the last of fifty-three 5-star players.
Agreed, Dan Olson's ratings for ESPN have been laughable at best!

Reaction Score
Awesome for Caroline. It seems she has come back from that serious injury even better and stronger.
Saylor Poffenbarger dropping that much, 13 spots, is inexplicable to me. No way are there 29 better players in the 2021 class than her. Interestingly, the write-up on Caroline perfectly describes Saylor's game.

Screenshot 2020-09-08 at 8.57.17 AM.png

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Awesome for Caroline. It seems she has come back from that serious injury even better and stronger.
Saylor Poffenbarger dropping that much, 13 spots, is inexplicable to me. No way are there 29 better players in the 2021 class than her. Interestingly, the write-up on Caroline perfectly describes Saylor's game.

View attachment 58495

Saylor should be pretty motivated. :mad:

Reaction Score
S Carolina recruits really went up. Reads like one of the best classes ever. With their class of 2019 and now 2021, they are going to be tough.
Surprised that North Carolina had 3 in the top 20. What's going on there? Don't believe they are on the UConn calendar but in 2-3 years would be a great series.

Reaction Score
Surprised that North Carolina had 3 in the top 20. What's going on there? Don't believe they are on the UConn calendar but in 2-3 years would be a great series.
They actually have four.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger