semi-OT, WNBA players off court actions hurts the league image | The Boneyard

semi-OT, WNBA players off court actions hurts the league image

Reaction Score
The video seems to show that the players were the aggressors.

"
A viral video shows several Women’s National Basketball Association players engaging in a wild fistfight in a parking lot next to a food truck in Atlanta, Georgia.

The video allegedly features three players from the WNBA’s Atlanta Dream, including Courtney Williams, Crystal Bradford, and Kalani Brown. The three reportedly throw punches at several people in front of the “Tenders and Bites” food truck."

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
Pretty detailed story

One of those times a tiny media footprint comes in handy.

Reading it is very depressing including how the ownership did not handle it in May when the incident occurred.

Atlanta Dream won't bring back Courtney Williams, Crystal Bradford after fight, agent says (espn.com)

Didn't see this thread and posted a similar story from "The Next" in the WNBA thread.
My thought at the end of that: there's been a lot of talk about expansion. League management should make sure their current franchises are all in working order before taking one another. As you infer, ownership seemed to make the wrong call here and the "is she/isn't she" situation with Chennedy Carter raises very question about who is steering this boat.

Reaction Score
Isn't this Williams 3rd altercation in as many years?? Thinking she may be the problem. With that said, the Dream announced they will not be bringing back Williams or Bradford back

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
The video seems to show that the players were the aggressors.

"
A viral video shows several Women’s National Basketball Association players engaging in a wild fistfight in a parking lot next to a food truck in Atlanta, Georgia.

The video allegedly features three players from the WNBA’s Atlanta Dream, including Courtney Williams, Crystal Bradford, and Kalani Brown. The three reportedly throw punches at several people in front of the “Tenders and Bites” food truck."
It was reported that Kalani Brown was trying to break up the mess, not throw punches.

Reaction Score
This whole situation looks really bad for the Dream organization. So they suspended only Carter for a supposed altercation with Williams, then this brawl happens mid season and both Williams and Bradford get to finish out the season with no repercussions. It's looking very suspect that the Dream looked the other way until the clip leaked to the public.

Reaction Score

To add to @GCKSFN4L point, this IG video with the agent for Williams and Bradford is online. After hearing it, it further muddies the waters with respect to how this was handled for me.

He's alleging that Dream management had agreed to say nothing but changed course once the video got out. The agent also states that Williams posted the video initially on YouTube. This just gets messier and messier. And there are posts on Twitter saying there's more to come(???)

CamrnCrz1974

Good Guy for a Dookie
Reaction Score
Speaking of Chennedy Carter ...

"

This was posted on October 3, 2021 -- the same day that Courtney Williams posted the video on YouTube,

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
This whole situation looks really bad for the Dream organization. So they suspended only Carter for a supposed altercation with Williams, then this brawl happens mid season and both Williams and Bradford get to finish out the season with no repercussions. It's looking very suspect that the Dream looked the other way until the clip leaked to the public.
Well, while Agent Crenshaw is clearly posturing for his client, what wasn’t said was if “The Dream” had actually seen the video that Courtney posted or only “heard” her side and Bradford’s side of the altercation. Clearly a more thorough review should have occurred and the fact that Crenshaw who has a dope for a client that thought posting this video was logical in any form was defending the actions by “stating Courtney thought it was ok as she wasn’t punished” as if being “punished” is the criteria to comprehend what she did was wrong. Really????
Excuse Me Reaction GIF by Mashable

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
Wow, I hadn't realized she'd posted a video on Youtube making light of the brawl. I loved watching Courtney, but after the altercation with Carter became known, I realized there was a pattern to her behavior. I'm surprised but not shocked that the Dream kept her and Bradford till this became publicized.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Wow, I hadn't realized she'd posted a video on Youtube making light of the brawl. I loved watching Courtney, but after the altercation with Carter became known, I realized there was a pattern to her behavior. I'm surprised but not shocked that the Dream kept her and Bradford till this became publicized.
Definitely posting that was a head scratching decision.

Reaction Score
I watched most of he video, and wow. Opinion completely changed about her. Her and her gf were making light of it, and even glorifying it. Shame on them. For internet clout. They look like clowns now. I want Carter to go to a different team. She may have her issues, but William's sure as hell starts more with people.

BTW, not sure how many posters here use twitter, but it was going off over the video. It was a good laugh lol, but also what an embarrassment for the Dream. Yikes, feel for Bradford though.

Reaction Score
Now that Montgomery made her statement last night during halftime of the Sky-Sun game, what are everyone's thoughts on how the Dream handled things?

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Now that Montgomery made her statement last night during halftime of the Sky-Sun game, what are everyone's thoughts on how the Dream handled things?
For those who did not see that, can someone paraphrase?

Reaction Score
For those who did not see that, can someone paraphrase?
Here's the ESPN article. The way I interpreted it was that they were given a different story and only saw a portion of the video that was posted online.

Reaction Score
This kind of behavior is crazy to me.

1. Go act bad.
2. record yourself so you can make money off it.
3. Give a "heartfelt" apology after you get your million views.
4. Pocket some cash.

We have seen this with all kinds of sports, entertainers, and others over the last few years.

Last edited:

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score

1. Go thug it up.
4. Pocket some cash.

We have seen this with all kinds of sports, entertainers, and others over the last few years.
I think some ingredients to the stew may include the teams horrendous record and possible blowback behind the scenes of Chennedy Carter's no mas.

Reaction Score

1. Go thug it up.
4. Pocket some cash.

You didn’t finish the story line.

5. Get released by the team ( unsigned)
6. Stigmatize yourself
7. Destroy off court earnings potential
8. Lose negotiating leverage
9. Fade awayyyyyy...

Reaction Score
Regardless of the incident, some of the language in this thread is problematic. The term 'thug' should not be used...PERIOD. Not a single one of you, probably predominantly white men, understands what she's experienced where she would be so inclined to fight like this. Guess what - it probably wasn't great! Y'all acting like she did this on purpose to purport fame or something. Disgusting. She's being held accountable for her actions and that's all we should expect, but the harsh judgment and ugly commentary is unwarranted.

Reaction Score
Regardless of the incident, some of the language in this thread is problematic. The term 'thug' should not be used...PERIOD. Not a single one of you, probably predominantly white men, understands what she's experienced where she would be so inclined to fight like this. Guess what - it probably wasn't great! Y'all acting like she did this on purpose to purport fame or something. Disgusting. She's being held accountable for her actions and that's all we should expect, but the harsh judgment and ugly commentary is unwarranted.

I'm in agreement with respect to the "thug" wording. I also agree that it's unfair to make assumptions without fully understanding her situation.

Where we differ is with the "she did this on purpose" comment. Williams' actions indicate differently. Earlier in this thread, I posted an interview where Williams' agent said she posted the video because she's trying to build her presence as a "Youtuber". Uploading the video herself to her own YouTube channel was an intentional act on her part.

Her girlfriend has a Youtube following of over 800K+ per ESPN's article. A lot of people, of varying backgrounds, are doing similar with the intent of building their brand. Part of the problem is the public appetite for this, which makes it look like this is acceptable. It's not right or fair, but it's reality. Until the demand for stupid fights like this on the internet wanes, we won't see the end of this at all.

Reaction Score
If you want to attach a perceived racial profile to the word “thug” then that’s on you.
YOU raise the specter of this ( predominant white men interjection) without a vapor of fact.
Where I come from, the term ‘thug’ is ascribed to a certain type of behavior.
As in thuggish-lowbrow, bullying, physically aggressive strong arming with shades of criminality.
Some say tomato.
Some say tom-a-toe.
Put it this way.
We weren’t watching a performance of Swan Lake.

Adesmar123

Can you say UConn? I knew you could!
Reaction Score
If you want to attach a perceived racial profile to the word “thug” then that’s on you.
YOU raise the specter of this ( predominant white men interjection) without a vapor of fact.
As in thuggish-lowbrow, bullying, physically aggressive strong arming with shades of criminality.
Some say tomato.
Some say tom-a-toe.
Put it this way.
The WNBA has finally reached parity with the NBA.

Reaction Score
Some say tomato.
Some say tom-a-toe.
Put it this way.
Whether I agree or disagree, the word "t**g" is a prohibited word on this message board. I am surprised no Mod has torn this thread apart yet. It will happen.

See Board Rules above: "Don't trash the kids that play the games, no matter what team. This includes use of the word "thug", which is a particular dislike of mine. (HuskyNan) We're taking about young women, not hardened criminals. Criticizing a play or player is fine, but there's no need whatsoever to get personal about it."

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom