Semi-OT Do you think Azura | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Semi-OT Do you think Azura

Reaction Score
In my low opinion, Z left because of a unknown and un-discussed irritation that only she knows.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
I think that Azure's 3pt shooting failure at UConn was symptomatic of her difficulties in meeting the demands of UConn in general. On other teams where she would be the #1 option, she would be handled with kid gloves and be given the light on every shot (crazy or not) but with equal of better scoring options all around her, that is not the case. Also, Geno is not going to rah rah rah a player who continually under performs in a particular skill set. She made the right move. I think money and opportunity were big factors but the pressure of UConn must have been part of the equation. My main concern now is that if she had stayed, ONO would not need to be 'rushed' into action but could develop and learn at a steadier pace.

Some of the responding posters in this thread view Stevens' leaving through the same lens. In short, because of the team's desperate need for height in the paint, she was asked to play a position she was not comfortable with, or necessarily wanted to play. She was a wing a Duke. Elizabeth Williams played the post position while Azura was there. She comes to UConn and Geno asks her to play in the paint. I'm sure that dynamic was explained to her in detail during the face to face interview that took place BEFORE a final decision was made by both parties.

Whether she liked it or not, her 6'6" frame was needed in the general paint area. Geno did not have anyone else. The next tallest player Lou (6'3") is not a post player. Stevens did what she came to Storrs to do, play another year, and get her degree. I suspect she never fancied herself being a square peg in a round hole, but that was the offer. At the end of post-season play this past season, Stevens had traversed the rice paper without leaving any footprints. She also snatched the pebbles from Geno's hand. It was time for her to go.

And go she did. The 6th overall pick in the first round. In a preseason interview in Dallas, she was asked if she had any regrets about leaving UConn, she said no! She said she has always felt she made the right decision without any remorse. The fact that she left suggests that she felt she had nothing else to prove, and nothing else to gain. So she closed that particular chapter of her life, turned the page and began a new one.

What position did she play this past season for Dallas? That's right, a wing. She was able to return to her comfort zone and get paid for it. Even though she was on the second team, she made the WNBA all-rookie team. When one takes in all things about her being at UConn and leaving into consideration, it shouldn't be too hard to figure out why she left (reasons that probably will never be made public). In her mind, there was really no reason to stay.

Last edited by a moderator:

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Most of the responding posters in this thread view Stevens' leaving through the same lens. In short, because of the team's desperate need for height in the paint, she was asked to play a position she was not comfortable with, or necessarily wanted to play. She was a wing a Duke. Elizabeth Williams played the post position while Azura was there. She comes to UConn and Geno asks her to play in the paint. I'm sure that dynamic was explained to her in detail during the face to face interview that took place BEFORE a final decision was made by both parties.

Whether she liked it or not, her 6'6" frame was needed in the paint. Geno did not have anyone else. The next tallest player Lou (6'3") is not a post player. Stevens did what she came to Storrs to do, play another year, and get her degree. I suspect she never fancied herself being a square peg in a round hole, but that was the offer. At the end of post-season play this past season, Stevens had traversed the rice paper without leaving any footprints. She also snatched the pebbles from Geno's hand. It was time for her to go.

And go she did. The 6th overall pick in the first round. In a preseason interview in Dallas, she was asked if she had any regrets about leaving UConn, she said no! She said she has always felt she made the right decision without any remorse. The fact that she left suggests that she felt she had nothing else to prove, and nothing else to gain. So she closed that particular chapter of her life, turned the page and began a new one.

What position did she play this past season for the Wings? That's right, a wing. She was able to return to her comfort zone and get paid for it. Even though she was on the second team, she made the all-rookie team as well. When one takes all things about her being there and leaving into consideration, it's not hard to figure out why she left. In her mind, there was really no reason to stay.

I disagree with the narrative that Geno wanted her to play mainly in the post because she is 6' 6" and they needed her there. I think he tried to do with her what he does with all his players. Identify weaknesses and have them get better at them. To completely shy away from the post as a 6' 6"player would have been a great disservice. I have no doubt he saw Azure as a Stewie type player who should be dangerous at every location of the floor. This is the language he now uses to describe Stewie with obvious pleasure. Unfortunately, Azure herself scuttled that plan by shooting so poorly from 3 that he had to push her to the post even more to be useful. If she could have hit at a 30% clip from 3, I think he would have gladly let her maneuver in and out of the lane.

The fact that she is playing a wing position in the WNBA is a good peace of luck for her with Cambage taking on so much center duties as well as simply hitting her shots. If Azure wants to be an All Star however, she better diversify her game and looking at how Stewie does things is a pretty good place to start.

In all, I agree that she was smart to leave. For whatever reason, she was not reaching her full potential at Storrs but the fault had nothing to do with how she was being used.

Carnac

Reaction Score
I disagree with the narrative that Geno wanted her to play mainly in the post because she is 6' 6" and they needed her there. I think he tried to do with her what he does with all his players. Identify weaknesses and have them get better at them. To completely shy away from the post as a 6' 6"player would have been a great disservice. I have no doubt he saw Azure as a Stewie type player who should be dangerous at every location of the floor. This is the language he now uses to describe Stewie with obvious pleasure. Unfortunately, Azure herself scuttled that plan by shooting so poorly from 3 that he had to push her to the post even more to be useful. If she could have hit at a 30% clip from 3, I think he would have gladly let her maneuver in and out of the lane.

The fact that she is playing a wing position in the WNBA is a good peace of luck for her with Cambage taking on so much center duties as well as simply hitting her shots. If Azure wants to be an All Star however, she better diversify her game and looking at how Stewie does things is a pretty good place to start.

In all, I agree that she was smart to leave. For whatever reason, she was not reaching her full potential at Storrs but the fault had nothing to do with how she was being used.

Comment noted. We see it differently. I do agree with parts of your narrative. Unless you have inside information I don't (and will share), I remain of the opinion that how she was being used played a significant role in her decision to leave. It's also possible that she was leaving after she was eligible to graduate regardless. If someone can enlighten me with information on this that I don't currently have, then of course my opinion on this can certainly change. Did you read some of the other posts in this thread?

Here's one:
I think Z started to get the feeling that if she kept playing the low post in the UConn system, her status as a "unique" player viewed through WNBA eyes may have been disrupted (not to mention some already superalative assessments of her game that may come as a surprise to some at the BY). Also, if she is going to the Sky, Dolson and Coates will most likely be able handle the bruising stuff down low and she will be able to roam like her instincts want her to.

Recognize this post? :eek: You should, it's yours from April 10. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
If you were college junior and someone told you that you could get dream job in your chosen field immediately, without getting your degree and that choice wasn't going to negatively impact your long term earnings potential, would you have taken it?

I don't know that we need to know her motivations. As I said before, for whatever reason I don't have the connection to Z that I do with most UConn players but I wish her well in life. She's off to a good start.

Actually, she will get her degree I believe. 4 yrs of college, but, well, I never saw the certificate and these pesky athletes take reduced credits in season etc no matter how prestigious the school. Struck me as a poised, articulate lass. Duke and all. So, I figure she got it done @CL82 on the QT. Or will. UConn's Azura Stevens Declares For WNBA Draft, Forgoing Senior Season

She was rather busy in the summer. So, I suspect she may take on line course from a UConn acredited school like USNH if the Russian censors allow it. :confused:

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Comment noted. We see it differently. I do agree with parts of your narrative. Unless you have inside information I don't (and will share), I remain of the opinion that how she was being used played a significant role in her decision to leave. It's also possible that she was leaving after she was eligible to graduate regardless. If someone can enlighten me with information on this that I don't currently have, then of course my opinion on this can certainly change. Did you read some of the other posts in this thread?
"I know the fans think X, Y and Z about different things, but the bottom line is I wasn't unhappy. This was just my choice and my decision to just move on to a new adventure.”
Azura Stevens Says She Loved Her UConn Experience But Won't Delay WNBA Dream

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I disagree with the narratiI also ve that Geno wanted her to play mainly in the post because she is 6' 6" and they needed her there. I think he tried to do with her what he does with all his players. Identify weaknesses and have them get better at them. To completely shy away from the post as a 6' 6"player would have been a great disservice. I have no doubt he saw Azure as a Stewie type player who should be dangerous at every location of the floor. This is the language he now uses to describe Stewie with obvious pleasure. Unfortunately, Azure herself scuttled that plan by shooting so poorly from 3 that he had to push her to the post even more to be useful. If she could have hit at a 30% clip from 3, I think he would have gladly let her maneuver in and out of the lane.
It is probably a greater disservice to compare Azura to Stewie who is a once in a generation type player who has always had a reliable three ball. Slightly different take on investment not utilization: In the year that Azura was sitting out UCONN developed 3 AA players at her primary positions SF-KLS, PF-Collier, C-Gabby Williams and also signed the #1 recruit in the nation also a SF/PF. Buy any measure & even in hindsight Geno choice to start Crystal turned out to be the right investment. I also believe that the loss of Natalie Butler for that squad has been too easily forgotten and is being underestimated. At 5'10" & playing center Gabby had to rely too much on hops and quickness. Even at 6'6" playing center Azura could be pushed around. Natalie wasn't going to out quick anyone but noone was going to push her around either.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score

Here's one:
I think Z started to get the feeling that if she kept playing the low post in the UConn system, her status as a "unique" player viewed through WNBA eyes may have been disrupted (not to mention some already superalative assessments of her game that may come as a surprise to some at the BY). Also, if she is going to the Sky, Dolson and Coates will most likely be able handle the bruising stuff down low and she will be able to roam like her instincts want her to.

Recognize this post? :eek: You should, it's yours from April 10. ;)

I do not think I am being inconsistent or if I am, I am not trying to be. :eek:

All I am saying is that I believe (no inside information) that Geno wanted her to be a threat from both inside and outside much like Stewie is (even if not on the scale of) but her shooting from 3pt range over the entire season simply would not allow a good mixture. I think necessity forced Geno to emphasize the post more than he wanted but even so, he probably thought he had 2 years with her so she could rebound and show the world the game he wanted her to have. Oh well. :(

Anyhow I am glad she was able to show the WNBA that she does have the ability to be a strong wing player and found a team where she can float alot on the wing but I still would like her to be pushed hard to become the all court threat she could be.

Last edited:

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
It is probably a greater disservice to compare Azura to Stewie who is a once in a generation type player who has always had a reliable three ball. Slightly different take on investment not utilization: In the year that Azura was sitting out UCONN developed 3 AA players at her primary positions SF-KLS, PF-Collier, C-Gabby Williams and also signed the #1 recruit in the nation also a SF/PF. Buy any measure & even in hindsight Geno choice to start Crystal turned out to be the right investment. I also believe that the loss of Natalie Butler for that squad has been too easily forgotten and is being underestimated. At 5'10" & playing center Gabby had to rely too much on hops and quickness. Even at 6'6" playing center Azura could be pushed around. Natalie wasn't going to out quick anyone but noone was going to push her around either.

Perhaps it is a disservice to compare Azure to Stewie (especially on the intangibles i.e I came her to win 4 championships / better instincts and overall game) but I think he saw Azure as a special all around offensive/defensive threat and wanted desperately for her to develop that and show the world. I am just glad that she found her 3 pt shot in the WNBA but reiterate that she needs to be pushed hard to develop the all around game that Geno envisioned in her. Still, I cringe when I see Azure taking her shots so quick in the shot clock (another difference between Azure and Stewie) because she does not want to probe the post. Maybe that is a function of the Wings having a shooting guard running the show.

Reaction Score
Seems clear it was the culmination of many factors. The essence, however, was that she saw herself as a professional, wanted to make good money as a professional, and went for it.

She's about to head overseas to a six-figure payoff after about $50k in the WNBA. So in the twelve months that she would have been a UConn athlete, she might pocket a quarter million bucks. And that is a season and money that she wouldn't know whether or not she could have earned, given the high potential for career-ending injuries in women's basketball.

Though it would have been nice to have her one more season, she had to look out for Number 1.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Seems clear it was the culmination of many factors. The essence, however, was that she saw herself as a professional, wanted to make good money as a professional, and went for it.

She's about to head overseas to a six-figure payoff after about $50k in the WNBA. So in the twelve months that she would have been a UConn athlete, she might pocket a quarter million bucks. And that is a season and money that she wouldn't know whether or not she could have earned, given the high potential for career-ending injuries in women's basketball.
Though it would have been nice to have her one more season, she had to look out for Number 1.

Don't think the bolded part is either "clear" at all. Your analysis doesn't make sense. Azura was good enough to earn a six figure salary overseas at the conclusion of her freshmen season at Duke. The risk of injury is the same risk for all athletes not just Azura. That comment about her looking out for number 1 makes her seem selfish. She was the opposite of that. Azura chose to come to UCONN-The ONLY SCHOOL in AMERICA WHERE SHE WOULD NOT BE a GUARANTEED STARTER once eligible. Azura was also the third consecutive player to leave UCONN with eligibility remaining Tuck & Butler were the other two. Wish we could be more like Geno and wish them well. They came to UCONN, they played hard and they went on with their lives=best we can hope for.

Reaction Score
"I know the fans think X, Y and Z about different things, but the bottom line is I wasn't unhappy. This was just my choice and my decision to just move on to a new adventure.”
Azura Stevens Says She Loved Her UConn Experience But Won't Delay WNBA Dream

Agree with you or not I respect your posts . In this case it's agree; when she opted to move forward I was in favor of her decision. I thought it the right one for her; bad go Uconn. I would have consuled any student to review the pro-s and con's and do what THEY thought best for themselves. I believe she did just that. I have no clue why she took the road she did but give her credit for doing her own thing.

Carnac

Reaction Score

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger