Semi-OT Do you think Azura | The Boneyard

Semi-OT Do you think Azura

Reaction Score
Departed UCWBB because she needed the money? Or was it because she wanted more playing time?
I could make a case for the latter. The former makes sense (cents).
She was a dynamic scorer of that there is no doubt .

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
Departed UCWBB because she needed the money? Or was it because she wanted more playing time?
I could make a case for the latter. The former makes sense (cents).
She was a dynamic scorer of that there is no doubt .
I have no idea, but I like the homophone joke. :rolleyes:

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Honestly, I think she fancied herself a wing and knew UCONN was going to play her primarily in the post, since that was our need. I'm guessing she simply did not want to bang around in the post.

I'm disappointed in her that she stayed only 1 year. I do not believe that Geno would have let her transfer in had she told him she would only play 1 year. I have no inside knowledge, just my guess.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
I believe it was not the money, but have no basis at all for that, since family income statements are not required for a full ride. I think she grew weary of being poked, prodded and challenge with no gaurantee of the college Bling had she stayed. In a way Azura reminds me of Mercedes Russel ... hello? hello? Does anything get you going? Plus her vaunted outside threat disappeared at UConn; too much pressure? Don't get me wrong, glad she came and she owned nothing as she left, but I'd hoped for more and we are gonna miss her. But:

"But part of being a tenacious defender is tied to personality. Stevens, Auriemma says, is a somewhat passive.

“She’s a great, great kid,” Auriemma said. “But she’s laid back.” UConn Newcomers: Azura Stevens Is Not Your Average Transfer

That's the way she left too. I was surprised by her WNBA Rookie Team selection frankly.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
It could also be that she saw what the draft would be like in 2019 and thought her prospects would be better this year.

If you are not #1 you might as well be number 10. But maybe she just said I sat a year and it's time to move on and see what $$ I can grab in Europe/mideast/China ball. Now she is well positioned for that, but don't know if anything is public on that front.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
I wonder if she will regret her decision in a few years. She probably assumed that any WNBA coaching staff would be just as good, and maybe better, than the UConn coaches. I doubt that is the case, and at the professional level, I don't know that coaches are really focused on player development. I think they are narrowly focused on winning in the current season, and putting all the pieces together on their roster to do that. If someone has the skills they need, they will play her; otherwise they will trade her or cut her, and find somebody else. They are unlikely to keep her for any length of time in the hope that she will get better, or to spend time with her to improve her skills.

I recall Moriah Jefferson saying something to that effect. I don't remember the exact quote, but it was approximately that "at this level, if you don't improve your skills, the coaches won't push you; they'll just replace you."

If players are self-motivated, they can improve their own skills or even hire a personal skills coach, as Tina Charles most notably did after leaving UConn. But not everyone is that motivated, and I'm not sure that Azura is.

Geno remarked near the end of last season about how coaching Azura was like coaching a freshman because everything was new to her. I think he felt that she could develop into a much better player with another year at UConn, and I think he was right. But obviously Azura didn't see it that way.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Honestly, I think she fancied herself a wing and knew UCONN was going to play her primarily in the post, since that was our need. I'm guessing she simply did not want to bang around in the post.

I'm disappointed in her that she stayed only 1 year. I do not believe that Geno would have let her transfer in had she told him she would only play 1 year. I have no inside knowledge, just my guess.

Ditto!!

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
She was at UConn 2 years, should've been enough time for Geno to work his magic. Was she honestly any better than she was at Duke? Would one more year have made any significant difference?

Reaction Score
I agree with a lot of the comments above.
I think she would have become a much better player had she stayed this year. I also think she prefers to play more as a wing than as a big and obviously that's not how Geno and U Conn needed and wanted her to play. I also agree that she's surely not very good defensively inside but her height made her needed there.
I've mentioned this here previously that maybe, just maybe, she was on the fence as to this decision as the year was concluding with the NCAA championships and FF ahead of her and her team.
Her team is losing in the semi-finals and and she takes them from a moderate deficit to a moderate lead almost singlehandedly. She then sits on the bench as the third quarter begins and the lead disappears leading to the back and forth game and finish we are all too well aware of. It surely seems reasonable that the thought enters her head, what do I need to do here to get respect and be used fully for my skill set and accomplishments on the court. She seemingly accepted the sixth person role, but maybe this upset her. Also, clearly CD is not physically able to play her game, so starting Azura makes sense there as well. Most I think would likely add this to the list and maybe it turned the balance towards her leaving.
I've stated multiple times here, Geno not only might have blown this game with his 3rd quarter strategy, afterwards his comments were he never thought about changing the usual starting lineup. I think this is even a bigger mistake by the greatest coach ever in team sports. Geno's stubbornness in this regard and maybe none of the coaches pushing a change or his not listening to that advice is much more a concern than his recruiting requirements and style, which I see as a pillar of the success of the program. It may also have contributed to Azura leaving but we likely will never know that.
I'm also sure many other factors came into play.
Bronx23

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
I think that Azure's 3pt shooting failure at UConn was symptomatic of her difficulties in meeting the demands of UConn in general. On other teams where she would be the #1 option, she would be handled with kid gloves and be given the light on every shot (crazy or not) but with equal of better scoring options all around her, that is not the case. Also, Geno is not going to rah rah rah a player who continually under performs in a particular skill set. She made the right move. I think money and opportunity were big factors but the pressure of UConn must have been part of the equation. My main concern now is that if she had stayed, ONO would not need to be 'rushed' into action but could develop and learn at a steadier pace.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
I think it might have had to do with being done with school. She had graduated, got her degree. Her choices were stay in school, take classes and don't get paid, OR get paid and not be bothered with school/classes. Unless you just really want to pursue a Masters in something, might as well move on with your life/career.
Plus you can add in all these other reasons discussed above. Playing position, draft position, etc.

Reaction Score
I think it might have had to do with being done with school. She had graduated, got her degree. Her choices were stay in school, take classes and don't get paid, OR get paid and not be bothered with school/classes. Unless you just really want to pursue a Masters in something, might as well move on with your life/career.
Plus you can add in all these other reasons discussed above. Playing position, draft position, etc.

I think she graduated, was done with school, and she wanted to start her career. It's what I did when I got done with college. A'Zura spent four years in college, she just only played one season at UCONN. I'm sad as a fan that she left, but I think she made the right decision for her.

Reaction Score
I believe it was not the money, but have no basis at all for that, since family income statements are not required for a full ride. I think she grew weary of being poked, prodded and challenge with no gaurantee of the college Bling had she stayed. In a way Azura reminds me of Mercedes Russel ... hello? hello? Does anything get you going? Plus her vaunted outside threat disappeared at UConn; too much pressure? Don't get me wrong, glad she came and she owned nothing as she left, but I'd hoped for more and we are gonna miss her. But:

"But part of being a tenacious defender is tied to personality. Stevens, Auriemma says, is a somewhat passive.

“She’s a great, great kid,” Auriemma said. “But she’s laid back.” UConn Newcomers: Azura Stevens Is Not Your Average Transfer
Per Usual Sir Night of the Mount--good and proper response. (spell check can't spell knight)
Z is a great kid and extremely talented. She is intelligent. Sometimes people take Pensive, thinking, as passive. She had 2 years at Duke where she was a STAR. At Uconn, with all that scoring talent, she was essentially a sub. If I had her talent an thrust in that role--my ego would have been bruised. That's me . Not necessarily Z.
I would have liked her to say one more year but I understand her taking the opportunity. As has been said she may have seen her potential ranking in the 19 WNBA draft. ONLY Z knows for sure.

That's the way she left too. I was surprised by her WNBA Rookie Team selection frankly.

Reaction Score
I think that Azure's 3pt shooting failure at UConn was symptomatic of her difficulties in meeting the demands of UConn in general. On other teams where she would be the #1 option, she would be handled with kid gloves and be given the light on every shot (crazy or not) but with equal of better scoring options all around her, that is not the case. Also, Geno is not going to rah rah rah a player who continually under performs in a particular skill set. She made the right move. I think money and opportunity were big factors but the pressure of UConn must have been part of the equation. My main concern now is that if she had stayed, ONO would not need to be 'rushed' into action but could develop and learn at a steadier pace.
Great post.
Remember Steff? She was rushed into the post job and against Griner in the fall of her first year. It worked well for her. Personality often helps. ONO could have the same opportunity.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
If you were college junior and someone told you that you could get dream job in your chosen field immediately, without getting your degree and that choice wasn't going to negatively impact your long term earnings potential, would you have taken it?

I don't know that we need to know her motivations. As I said before, for whatever reason I don't have the connection to Z that I do with most UConn players but I wish her well in life. She's off to a good start.

Reaction Score

Curious. Why wouldn't Geno want a 1st round draft level talent playing for a year and equally important, practicing for 2 years (i.e. helping improve the competition)? Candidly, not many other good choices available.

Reaction Score
If you were college junior and someone told you that you could get dream job in your chosen field immediately, without getting your degree and that choice wasn't going to negatively impact your long term earnings potential, would you have taken it?

I don't know that we need to know her motivations. As I said before, for whatever reason I don't have the connection to Z that I do with most UConn players but I wish her well in life. She's off to a good start.

But she was a senior in college that earned her degree.

I think she wanted to start her career. No more classes. No more homework. Just playing the game she loves.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Curious. Why wouldn't Geno want a 1st round draft level talent playing for a year and equally important, practicing for 2 years (i.e. helping improve the competition)? Candidly, not many other good choices available.
Because in his experience, and he's said it in the past, JUCO's rarely work out because they take several years to undo bad habits and get up to speed on the UCONN way. Rashidat Sadiq was the last JUCO he took and she only lasted 1 year.

I know Z wasn't a JUCO but given Geno's comments and avoidance of kids with limited eligibility left, I am left with the opinion he would have passed on her had he known upfront she's only play 1 season. Having said that, he took a long hard look at the graduate transfer Anriel Howard. I don't believe a scholly was offered to her, and I don't think the reason was what I echoed above re: Stevens. So I'm left wondering if maybe he would have let Stevens transfer even if she only promised 1 year playing for him.We'll probably never know. He's certainly changed his recruiting tactics over the years to keep up with the changing times...

Reaction Score
Azura's future for the next decade plus will be playing pro basketball. She had the opportunity to be a top 10 pick and begin earning pro money a year early. Her decision to leave is no more complicated than that...

One can argue she could have improved her skill set coming back another year or perhaps even improved her draft status but her dream was to play pro ball. Who knows what would have happened if she came back? Maybe she get injured, etc....there is always a risk in returning and obviously Azura wanted to live her dream now.

Sometimes you have to take an opportunity when its available and leaving early is going to become more common in the women's game. If a male college player had the opportunity to turn pro early as a top 10 pick it would not even be a discussion whether he should go.

I'm disappointed as a UConn fan but I can't fault Azura's decision.

Reaction Score
Azura's future for the next decade plus will be playing pro basketball. She had the opportunity to be a top 10 pick and begin earning pro money a year early. Her decision to leave is no more complicated than that...

One can argue she could have improved her skill set coming back another year or perhaps even improved her draft status but her dream was to play pro ball. Who knows what would have happened if she came back? Maybe she get injured, etc....there is always a risk in returning and obviously Azura wanted to live her dream now.

Sometimes you have to take an opportunity when its available and leaving early is going to become more common in the women's game. If a male college player had the opportunity to turn pro early as a top 10 pick it would not even be a discussion whether he should go.

I'm disappointed as a UConn fan but I can't fault Azura's decision.
She already knew all that when she transferred.

Reaction Score
I strongly suspect that she was not a fan of Geno's tendency to push players to be the best that they can be. I believe she believed that Geno would make her a better player so she transferred in. However it probably never occurred to her the process he would put her through to achieve that goal. You sort of had to read between the lines of Geno's statements in respect to her last season at UConn. Geno was becoming frustrated with her.

Bottom line is that every player has the right to make their own choices in respect to their careers. Had she stayed for one more year she would have become a better player, but it was her choice not to to expand her inside game. As others have said she see's herself as a wing due to her skill set. She probably would have benefited in the long run developing her inside game as well even if she would eventually be playing outside. She could have been more of a duel threat.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HassanDawg

Top Bottom