Semi OT - Best NCAA Team Names | The Boneyard

Semi OT - Best NCAA Team Names

Status
Not open for further replies.

UCweCONN

Former Poster
Reaction Score
I always liked "Demon Deacons". The "Incarnate Word" vs the "Demon Deacons." "THEY'LL BE HELL TO PAY." It would make a great WWE matchup as well.

Reaction Score
Incarnate World just beat Nebraska. They just went D1 last year. That's bad

UCweCONN

Former Poster
Reaction Score
Incarnate World just beat Nebraska. They just went D1 last year. That's bad
Maybe Nebraska should change their mascot to "Children of the Corn."

patrick

Hurley4#6
Reaction Score
Besides the obvious, HUSKIES, I always liked the Gamecocks!
Sounds dirty!

Reaction Score
Besides the obvious, HUSKIES, I always liked the Gamecocks!
Sounds dirty!

um yeah.....

063010-gamecocks-cheerleader2.jpg

Reaction Score
If we are going by nicknames, there's no topping the UC Santa Cruz Banana Slugs. There's a Fightin' Artichokes out there somewhere too, as well as a Boll Weevils, and a Geoducks. But Banana Slugs is on a whole nother level.

Bad pun wise, the Pace Setters are No. 1. Not a fan of Stetson Hatters, but Pace Setters is worse since a setter is a breed of dog that actually could be a mascot at a school other than Pace. Nobody would ever be the Hatters anywhere else.

For just the name of the school and not the nickname, I'm always amused by Transylvania, which is in Lexington, Kentucky. My mom once visited Lexington while I was in high school and decided she had to get me a Transylvania t-shirt - and then the checkout lady in the bookstore offered me a scholarship (even though I was 1000 miles away). The "I own a College" joke was beaten to death by Jim Valvano in the 1980s.

For league-wide mascot fun, there's the NESCAC, which includes the Williams Ephmen/Purple Cows, the Amherst Lord Jeffs, the Trinity Bantams, the Bowdoin Polar Bears, the Hamilton Continentals, and the Conn College Camels. When Williams uses Purple Cows, and faces the Delaware Blue Hens, it's one of the only all-female mascot battles in the NCAA.

For mascots, you can't top the Rhode Island School of Design and "Scrotie", who was pretty much Señor Testiculo before Señor Testiculo. But even Scrotie doesn't look more ridiculous than the Stanford tree.

For mascot rivals within conferences leading to double entendres, the USC-Oregon State game has Trojans meeting Beavers (also true in local high school battles when Weaver faces Simsbury).

For lame, Syracuse and Georgetown features a boring color for a nickname (unlike Crimson or Cardinal, which has character), against a nickname deriving from a part of a chant that translates to "What Rocks?", with an accompanying bulldog for a mascot that has nothing to do with anything.

And the nickname most spoiled by a popular movie, the Utah Utes - forever now associated with My Cousin Vinny.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
VMI is the Keydets.

Even they have no idea what it actually means. Their mascot is a kangaroo - again, they're not sure why.

Wichita State is the Shockers, which is a shortened version of Wheatshockers. Basically, a wheatshocker was someone who picked wheat - their logo was a stalk of wheat until recently.

I like the San Diego Toreros, the Columbia College Fighting Koalas, the Campbell Fightin' Camels which trumps the Conn College Camels, the IUPUI Mastodons, the Evansville Purple Aces, the Southwestern College Moundbuilders and the Delta State Fighting Okra.

Reaction Score
Danbury high school is also the "hatters." I've always been partial to the UC Irvine Anteaters.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
great match up, South Carolina Gamecocks vs the Oregon State Beavers

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
I like the non-traditional names of left coast teams

Ducks
Beavers
Anteaters
Gauchos
Banana Slugs (UCSC DIII)
Dirtbags
Waves

OkaForPrez

Really Popular Poster
Reaction Score
+1 on gauchos, even better when you add that top hat and eyes logo.

images

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CT2SC