Select the UNC punishment | The Boneyard

Select the UNC punishment

Status
Not open for further replies.

GemParty

Co~host of the Sliders & Curveballs Podcast
Reaction Score
You know what happened to UConn/Apr. You know the severity of the timing.

Ville/Cuse took the self imposing route. Time will tell if that's all Ville gets. I think picking your own penalty timing is ridiculous.

What would you design/w timing for UNC's punishment given what you've read? You be the judge.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
You know what happened to UConn/Apr. You know the severity of the timing.

Ville/Cuse took the self imposing route. Time will tell if that's all Ville gets. I think picking your own penalty timing is ridiculous.

What would you design/w timing for UNC's punishment given what you've read? You be the judge.

They'll probably keep tacking on minor violations from irrelevant programs in their school, then during a down year they'll self-impose a ban and hope that's enough. And it probably will be.

Reaction Score
I don't care to guess what the punishment will be, but for the love of God can the NCAA outlaw self-imposed sanctions? You can't be the defendant and the judge, that goes against the very nature of any form of violation...

Reaction Score
Given the longevity of their cheating and how unscrupulous it was, I think anything less than 3 years no postseason plus a scholarship reduction of 3 a year for say 5-6 years would be a travesty. This is a chance to send a real message.

I also completely think the NCAA will chicken out and just give them two years (one of them being self imposed) with a a scholly reduction of just say 8 over 4 or something. I have no faith in the system. Plus I'm sure UNC will fight it in court/appeal and get a friendly reduction in penalties.

GemParty

Reaction Score
They'll probably keep tacking on minor violations from irrelevant programs in their school, then during a down year they'll self-impose a ban and hope that's enough. And it probably will be.
Seems likely. If you could decide their fate in the current landscape, what would be fair in your opinion?

GemParty

Reaction Score
I'd be happy with a 5 yr post season ban. Whenever it begins, can be argued. Fake classes, at a school cannot be tolerated for the sake of money & sport.

Sibeerian

Mush on, you Huskies
Reaction Score
Any of the above plus Roy Williams walks naked from Charlotte to Durham while thousands line the streets chanting "Shame, shame."

I know Roy isn't being charged with an of this but still, why not.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
Seems likely. If you could decide their fate in the current landscape, what would be fair in your opinion?

Anything less than a two year ban would be an embarrassment.

Reaction Score
Kennesaw State suffers a 2 year post-season ban and loss of 5 scholarships over the next 8 years

Reaction Score
I would say at least a one year ban and loss of scholarships a la Cuse. What will happen is the NCAA will ban NC State for two years and take two scholarships per year for three years from Wake Forest and Georgia Tech.

JonnyRI

The files are in the computer
Reaction Score
UConn banned from the 2016 NCAA tournament, Alterique has to attend UNC and stay the full 4 years, and Hamidou is legally adopted by Squid.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
I'd like to see a 3 year ban. They probably deserve more, but less than 3 is BS.

Reaction Score
What punishment? Seen NC on a lot and nobody mentions anything. Did they do something wrong?
Remember having to hear about Nate Miles and the APR within the first 15 minutes of every UConn game for two years?

Reaction Score
Are you kidding me? At least one of those titles needs to go. I mean if USC gets their football title taken away because of one player than UNC should suffer at least the same, but in fairness much more.

Reaction Score
Death sentence, vacate all of Roy's titles, also investigate his time at KU.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
Castration. 40 score post-season ban. Set fire to Dean Dome.

huskyharry

Hooyah
Reaction Score
Given the longevity of their cheating and how unscrupulous it was, I think anything less than 3 years no postseason plus a scholarship reduction of 3 a year for say 5-6 years would be a travesty. This is a chance to send a real message.

I also completely think the NCAA will chicken out and just give them two years (one of them being self imposed) with a a scholly reduction of just say 8 over 4 or something. I have no faith in the system. Plus I'm sure UNC will fight it in court/appeal and get a friendly reduction in penalties.
I agree but I would also add that there should be a show cause letter for the program due to lack of institutional control.

Reaction Score
For the determined period which the cheating occurred:
half the wins and losses during the regular season will be vacated
all post season wins will be vacated
All titles within that period vacated

In addition:
Repayment of all payouts resulting from the post season (adjusted for inflation)
Reduction of scholarships for a 10 year period. Starting with 8 scholarships and increasing allotment by one every two years
Five year post season ban
Academic progress report for ALL athletes. This is done twice every semester. Athletes failing to meet a Predetermined gpa will be ineligible until the next review process.

Reaction Score
They'll wait until they win the title this year. Then they will self vacate this one, and the last one they won, plus no postseason next year. Scholarships reduced by 5, over a three year period. Vacating postseasons hurts the wallet, but they can afford it. The fans don't really care, because they got to watch and enjoy the title runs. In reality, they should have to vacate all runs during the time they were cheating, plus a two year ban, and be limited to 10 scholarships for a 4 year period. Realistically, this would be about as good as you could expect. Not likely to happen though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DyNASTY#3

Top Bottom