Seems official... Louisville to ACC | The Boneyard

Seems official... Louisville to ACC

Status
Not open for further replies.

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
:eek:

I sure hope UCONN is able to get a ticket on the same train, and fast!

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Not looking good for UCONN. :(

Reaction Score
If UCONN doesn't get the votes, they aren't going to get the invitation.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
Won't be a popular opinion like many I have, but I'll say it anyway.

Some of the reasons why the ACC didn't choose UConn are:

Jim Calhoun and the athletic department's failure to maintain standards that led to NCAA Suspensions on the men's baskeball program.

After a couple years of success the football program is not moving forward and IMHO is slowly sliding backwards and is irrelevant. The hire of Paul Pasqualoni is contributing to the demise of the program.

The Bad blood between BC and UConn did not help. I also wonder how much support did Pittsburgh and Syracuse provide. I also doubt that if ND had a vote, they supported UConn.

Reaction Score

Jim Calhoun and the athletic department's failure to maintain standards that led to NCAA Suspensions on the men's baskeball program.

After a couple years of success the football program is not moving forward and IMHO is slowly sliding backwards and is irrelevant. The hire of Paul Pasqualoni is contributing to the demise of the program.

The Bad blood between BC and UConn did not help. I also wonder how much support did Pittsburgh and Syracuse provide. I also doubt that if ND had a vote, they supported UConn.
The "failure to maintain standards" is a crock when you put it against UNC's phony classes. Save your disgust for ESPN and BC. They destroyed the UConn athletic program.

Reaction Score
We will never know, because you never know what did not happen, but it will be interesting this year to see how successful Geno is with recruits. I'm sure he'll get some, but what we'll never know is whether UConn's being in a decidedly second-rate basketball conference will make a difference in the minds of those who ultimately decide not to attend UConn. One thing for sure: this does not help.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score

ND, Pitt and Syracuse did not have a vote. If they had, at least Pitt and Syracuse would've probably supported UConn over Louisville. This was a decision by southern schools to keep the core of its conference in the south...for now.

It's not clear at all that BC was/is still opposed to UConn. My guess is the opposition to UConn came from Miami, FSU, Clemson and GT. With the B1G expanding, the ACC needed to add the school with the best football program and that was believed to be Louisville. Louisville also had other options, or at least they sold that idea to the ACC. I don't follow UConn football much but it's pretty clear that the buzz surrounding the program after the Fiesta Bowl has all but disappeared. The hiring of the current HC not only failed to build on that excitement but it seemed to remove a lot of it. There is just more positive energy around Louisville athletics than UConn's at this point, including men's basketball. I don't think the academic issues facing the men's team had much to do with this decision.

It'll be interesting to hear what the vote tally was and whether any schools opposed Louisville. I have a feeling the vote wasn't unanimous. We'll see if the B1G is finished. I doubt it, though it won't target UConn. Regrettably, UConn's best option is to hope the B1G poaches another team from the ACC.

BTW, the ACC has now poached 7 teams from the BE.

LesMis89

Dedicated Lurker
Reaction Score
ND, Pitt and Syracuse did not have a vote. If they had, at least Pitt and Syracuse would've probably supported UConn over Louisville. This was a decision by southern schools to keep the core of its conference in the south...for now.

It's not clear at all that BC was/is still opposed to UConn. My guess is the opposition to UConn came from Miami, FSU, Clemson and GT. With the B1G expanding, the ACC needed to add the school with the best football program and that was believed to be Louisville. Louisville also had other options, or at least they sold that idea to the ACC. I don't follow UConn football much but it's pretty clear that the buzz surrounding the program after the Fiesta Bowl has all but disappeared. The hiring of the current HC not only failed to build on that excitement but it seemed to remove a lot of it. There is just more positive energy around Louisville athletics than UConn's at this point, including men's basketball. I don't think the academic issues facing the men's team had much to do with this decision.

It'll be interesting to hear what the vote tally was and whether any schools opposed Louisville. I have a feeling the vote wasn't unanimous. We'll see if the B1G is finished. I doubt it, though it won't target UConn. Regrettably, UConn's best option is to hope the B1G poaches another team from the ACC.

BTW, the ACC has now poached 7 teams from the BE.

Yep.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
We will never know, because you never know what did not happen, but it will be interesting this year to see how successful Geno is with recruits. I'm sure he'll get some, but what we'll never know is whether UConn's being in a decidedly second-rate basketball conference will make a difference in the minds of those who ultimately decide not to attend UConn. One thing for sure: this does not help.
I think it will be ok for the next class or so, but down the road it could cause some problems. Certainly something to take a look at anyway. But yea, it can't help.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
I don't like all of the rulings the NCAA makes and some seem like they play favorites with certain schools and UConn definitely is not one of them. Also it seems like it takes longer to rule on UConn recruits then it does other schools. However, in the case of UNC, how UNC got away with it, is they offered this phony class to all students, not just to athletes. I'm not saying its right, but that's how the NCAA ruled. BTW, IMHO if I was to place blame on a News Service, Yahoo Sports has seemed to have a vendetta against UConn more then ESPN does. ESPN reports NEWS, while Yahoo Sports has had reporters investigating UConn in order to create the NEWS.

If Kentucky with all of its one and done players can keep players in good academic standings when they leave, UConn should as well.

The "failure to maintain standards" is a crock when you put it against UNC's phony classes. Save your disgust for ESPN and BC. They destroyed the UConn athletic program.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
The conference musical chairs is not done. Louisville was a good replacement for Maryland. The ACC has resolved an immediate issue. They will then consider their next strategic moves. As will other conferences. This is not a positive day to be sure, but it's also not the end of the world yet either.

And the more immediate concerns for UConn are MBB and football. WBB will be fine in the short and intermediate term because all of its games are televised, it plays a tremendous schedule out of conference every year, and it has a coaching staff with an unrivaled track record of winning championships and developing players. After Geno retires, it becomes more of a concern for WBB.

BTW, this would not be a very popular move in some circles if it happens, but the Big XII seems have been a bit too patient in this entire process and now doesn't have a ton of options if it wants to expand. If I'm Cincy and UConn, those are overtures I'd make. Would suck for non-revenue sports, but it is not as ridiculous a possibility as it would have seemed a year ago. Still not likely, however.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
It was reported the vote to add Louisville was Unanimous. Also that Football outweighed academics. Fla State, Clemson, etc wanted Louisville because they have the better football program.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score

Doesn't matter whether it's popular or not- it's largely incorrect. This is all about money, branding, and TV sets. Do you think recruiting violations, academic issues, or historical bad blood would keep Alabama, Ohio State, or Oklahoma from getting an invite somewhere if they were looking to jump to another conference? UConn could have won the Big East again in football last year, and it wouldn't have made a difference right now.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
The word from Storrs per Jeff Jacobs' twitter:

Working UConn sources on why didn't get into ACC: "Perceived football superiority" by Louisville is absolute No. 1 reason.

Feeling from school sources: TV markets and academics trumped by ACC football schools.

HuskyFan1125

"Dont be the same, be better"
Reaction Score
Not shocked here at all! A friend here in Chicago told me at my daughters basketball game last week to look for Louisville to be next!

Maybe I will ask him tomorrow night what he thinks of UCONN in the ACC?

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
WBB will be fine in the short and intermediate term because all of its games are televised, it plays a tremendous schedule out of conference every year, and it has a coaching staff with an unrivaled track record of winning championships and developing players. After Geno retires, it becomes more of a concern for WBB.
Agreed, very well put.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
No one should think Louisville's presence in the ACC is going to keep FSU or Clemson in the conference. We'll see what happens with MD and the exit fee.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Pat Forde's take. This particular paragraph has to be especially galling to UConn and its fans:

Beyond football, Louisville sold its well-rounded athletic program to the ACC. The Cardinals went to the men's Final Four last year and are currently ranked fifth in the nation, while annually running the nation's most profitable basketball program. The women's basketball program advanced to the 2009 Final Four and currently is ranked seventh. And the baseball program made the 2007 College World Series and has been a regular NCAA tournament participant in recent years.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/ncaaf--acc-adds-louisville-in-expansion-132113087.html

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
What is UCONN's record vs L'ville in football the last 5 years?

DrDos

Skimmer
Reaction Score

>> Your three points are right on. Clear, concise and . . . unfortunate.

DrDos

Skimmer
Reaction Score
Doesn't matter whether it's popular or not- it's largely incorrect. This is all about money, branding, and TV sets. Do you think recruiting violations, academic issues, or historical bad blood would keep Alabama, Ohio State, or Oklahoma from getting an invite somewhere if they were looking to jump to another conference? UConn could have won the Big East again in football last year, and it wouldn't have made a difference right now.

>> I find both your arguments compelling. Perhaps when the final history is written we will know for sure.

Reaction Score
So much for "academics first". Louisville has laughable academics when compared to UConn. We can no longer hang our hat on the quality of our academics.

I would hope that UConn comes out of this with a new conference home somewhere, but my hopes are fading.

The ACC clearly (to me) has members who have vendetta's against UConn, whether it is bitter feelings (Miami, BC), perceived as a weak football program (FSU, Clemson, GT, others). Our TV market is weak, for football anyway. Though SNY may help improve that over time. The academic penalties don't help. Say all you want about UNC's violations, and Miami's self imposed post-season ban pending NCAA sanctions. They are not going to be kicked out of the conference for the violations. But bringing in a team that is currently in under active sanctions is another story altogether.

BiG - We are not in a contiguous state to current members. UConn is not in the AAU. Those are two of the by-laws for membership. While the by-laws could be changed, how likely is it going to happen? Especially if the reason for the change is to bring in another school like UConn? As one of the football power conferences, let's be honest, UConn does not contribute much at this point. Even assuming UConn's football program was stronger, not meeting one of the requirements might be able to be overcome, but certainly not two.

Big 12 - WAY outside their footprint. Not even a possibility. Same for Pac-12.

The only way I see UConn finding a home in a new conference is if the ACC is raided for three more teams. I don't think two is going to do it. Cincinnati will be viewed as having the better football program and since that seems to be the ACCs criteria, not academics, they would get the nod over UConn as happened with Louisville. If they lose FSU, look for them to try to find another Florida school - USF or UCF. But if they lose a third, then I think UConn comes into play.

At the rate that the ACC is taking Big East teams, when (not if) they lose more of the historical ACC membership schools, they will become, almost literally, the NEW Big East, just with a different name on it.

I just hate that UConn is the one left without a prom date at this point. At some point, you have to think this will start to hurt our recruiting in all sports.

I am trying to stay positive and upbeat, but it is getting harder by the day.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom