Seems like the Hurley culture has set in | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Seems like the Hurley culture has set in

Reaction Score
If that’s the 9th best team in the country it must be a very down year.
Yeah, Houston is a solid team with lots of depth. No player really stood out on the team even though their PG blew up against us. Some of his layups were not contested. Against a bigger physical team I'm not sure he would be as effective. Good solid team but more like fringe top 25 from the eye test than top 10.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
I just haven’t submitted to Tom to change the name yet. Get a life and stop harassing me about a stupid screen name.
My life is rich and full, and my posts toward you tend to mirror your tone. I'd be happier with us both being gentler. If putting some heat on you melts your heart a bit, that'd be good.

And I think that a name change would be good for the mojo, so my hands feel a bit tied. If I let it go, I'm enabling you in doing something you acknowledge is warranted. So, in a larger sense, consider it all a nudge in a healthy direction.

Reaction Score
I don’t know. This reminded me of one of those games we use to play against middle of the road teams. There was never really a feeling they would win. That was my sense really the last couple of games. Yeah we played tough and made it interesting but I at least never had a sense we were going to win. Sort of like when good UConn teams would play St Johns or someone back in the day.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
I don’t know. This reminded me of one of those games we use to play against middle of the road teams. There was never really a feeling they would win. That was my sense really the last couple of games. Yeah we played tough and made it interesting but I at least never had a sense we were going to win. Sort of like when good UConn teams would play St Johns or someone back in the day.

We've yet to see a second half comeback taking the lead, and then just saying, "No" when the opponent tries to catch back up. That was a defining characteristic of peak period Calhoun teams.

The first time we see this, we will be jubilant.

For now, I continue to stay engaged in the gamed, even when I don't believe they will catch up, surpass, and sustain to victory, because the persistence in evident, and I want to be there when it flips over.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
I’m sure this is in the heads of the players. We really really need to win one of these close games to snap this. We have a good shot vs a subpar SMU team next week. Hopefully AG is available.

Reaction Score
We've yet to see a second half comeback taking the lead, and then just saying, "No" when the opponent tries to catch back up. That was a defining characteristic of peak period Calhoun teams.

The first time we see this, we will be jubilant.

For now, I continue to stay engaged in the gamed, even when I don't believe they will catch up, surpass, and sustain to victory, because the persistence in evident, and I want to be there when it flips over.
That’s the silver lining of the last 4-5 years, getting the joy of watching the program build back up to a national power like if did in the early 90s. It’s rare to have that happen twice but we’ve become so irrelevant nationally that it will have a lot of the same joy we felt then.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
I don't often agree with you, but I do here. I mean, I love their spirit that cutting it to five would have changed the outcome, but I didn't have that feeling for one second of the second half last night.

Reaction Score
I don't often agree with you, but I do here. I mean, I love their spirit that cutting it to five would have changed the outcome, but I didn't have that feeling for one second of the second half last night.
Of course we weren't going to win the game. We were 7 players deep, missing our 2 best players/starting backcourt, no point guard the entire game, and nobody who can take you off the dribble.
Having that within a fast break of cutting it to 5 or 4 with a few minutes left if not for reffing error was pretty surprising.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score

Nope. Agreed.

The kids played hard. They are making progress and playing with some pride that has been sorely lacking for a long time. All good things. But Ive watched a bunch of Houston this year and we got their C- game and they still dispatched us without a sweat. As they should have. The disparity of the teams right now is glaring, and we have no backcourt.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Of course we weren't going to win the game. We were 7 players deep, missing our 2 best players/starting backcourt, no point guard the entire game, and nobody who can take you off the dribble.
Having that within a fast break of cutting it to 5 or 4 with a few minutes left if not for reffing error was pretty surprising.
I don't disagree with any of that. I never thought we had a chance and was pleasantly surprised by the first half. I was bummed when we dug such a hole at the start of the second half but I never thought we could sustain for the win in any event, so getting back within range was a good thing for the team--and I kind of liked the reckless abandon, especially from Sid.

Reaction Score
They got killed by Tulsa in their next game...only scored 58 I think. Goes to show you how hot they were against us.

Might also show teams still get up for the UConn brand in spite of the last several years' woes.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Nope. Agreed.

The kids played hard. They are making progress and playing with some pride that has been sorely lacking for a long time. All good things. But Ive watched a bunch of Houston this year and we got their C- game and they still dispatched us without a sweat. As they should have. The disparity of the teams right now is glaring, and we have no backcourt.

I don't but the C- game. They shot 54% from 3. 48% overall and 75% from the line. They average 34% from 3 and 44% overall. That was not a C- offensive performance. They had a very good shooting night and needed it. Had we hit a few FTs and they missed even one more 3 we can win that game.

Reaction Score
I don't disagree with any of that. I never thought we had a chance and was pleasantly surprised by the first half. I was bummed when we dug such a hole at the start of the second half but I never thought we could sustain for the win in any event, so getting back within range was a good thing for the team--and I kind of liked the reckless abandon, especially from Sid.
Start of second halves have been a problem and Hurley brought up in the presser that's on him and he has to do better with it.

At some point it's going to come together for Sid and we are going to have a very good player when that happens.

Reaction Score
Are you joking? Nothing could be more obvious. Playing this team is like playing a bunch of rabid raccoons. They have become fearless. It doesn't always mean they execute, and they miss defensive assignments, but the difference from the last two years is stark. Last year's team loses this by 25, because once down 12 or so they pack it in and wish they were home playing video games.

This is UConn under Hurley

we’re definitely moving in the right direction but culture extends beyond the team playing hard. Culture means not having to coach effort, having the fundamental skills mastered, making free throws. And one more thing that I’ll probably get flamed for is although most injuries are unpreventable, having a team that doesn’t physically break down and get hurt every year is a sign of good culture. I expect all of these things to improve under Hurley but it is not all there yet.

RayIsTheGOAT

Sticks, to the rafters
Reaction Score
I'd love for Houston to go on a deep run as much as anyone, but, being a supposed top 10 team, I was not impressed with them. I don't think that was the best team we've played all season. Iowa and FSU are better, imo.

Having said that, a very impressive effort against the clear best team in the league without our 2 stars. This just convinces me more that in 2 years, UConn and Memphis will the two-headed horse of this conference. Houston is the best team in the league (and probably the best coached team) yet they have mostly 3-star recruits.
UConn and Memphis will just be bringing in shear better talent in the near future.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
And one more thing that I’ll probably get flamed for is although most injuries are unpreventable, having a team that doesn’t physically break down and get hurt every year is a sign of good culture.

You'll get flamed because it's not true. Ligaments, joints and muscle fibers don't care about culture.

Simple counter example, the Patriots have some of the best team culture in football, and damn every year, it's a revolving door of injuries.

Reaction Score
Start of second halves have been a problem and Hurley brought up in the presser that's on him and he has to do better with it.

At some point it's going to come together for Sid and we are going to have a very good player when that happens.

Could be a solid defender. Not sure he'll ever be "great" if he can't pass (at all) or rebound at his height. Fixing his shot and handle is an easier prospect.

I'd like to see him be a 12/4/1 versatile defensive stopper by year 3. A great 3rd or 4th piece on a very good team.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
It really only happens against teams that are better than us. Which is not surprising.

And without JA and AG, we've got nobody who can create. When another team comes out ready to attack what we do, sans playmakers, we !@#$!#.

Reaction Score
You'll get flamed because it's not true. Ligaments, joints and muscle fibers don't care about culture.

Simple counter example, the Patriots have some of the best team culture in football, and damn every year, it's a revolving door of injuries.
Yes and because of the culture and roster building, they're able to survive and thrive. We just simply don't have enough depth. Hopefully by year 3 we are 10 deep again.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
And without JA and AG, we've got nobody who can create. When another team comes out ready to attack what we do, sans playmakers, we !@#$!#.
But it also happened in games before we lost both of them to injuries.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
But it also happened in games before we lost both of them to injuries.

True, but the team has been playing better since then.

And I'd argue that JA is unfortunately, one of the biggest contributors to soft starts.

I was saying that, in the context of this team playing it's arse off, not having any creators is going to doom you for stretches. Most likely coming in to halves.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom