Seems like the Hurley culture has set in | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Seems like the Hurley culture has set in

Reaction Score
We beat Temple in the second half though. First half was bad because it took a while for the team to figure out what to do without Jalen.
Yeah I know we established our inside game in that one too but it was pretty much a blowout from tipoff and felt demoralizing since Jalen went down in it too.

Reaction Score
Yeah I know we established our inside game in that one too but it was pretty much a blowout from tipoff and felt demoralizing since Jalen went down in it too.
If I recall correctly it was 15-10 when Jalen went down. Still very much a game

Reaction Score
We played like a team led by vital. There was an edge, a chippiness, a toughness, that I haven't really seen before from everyone on the floor all at once before. Vital taking trash with Davis and Davis giving it right back, this was about pride. If we played every game this hard and tough all season long we would be at the top of the aac and a lock for the tournament imo. I hope these guys can keep it up even when the opponent isn't as intense as Houston was.

Reaction Score
Honestly the best thing for this team now and going forward is what’s been happening, and that’s forcing more out of Wilson Polley and Carlton. I wish Diarra or Whaley would get Cobbs minutes. It’s time to develop guys for the future.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
Ok cool they battled hard but how about not giving up game breaking runs to start the second half every damn game?

Reaction Score
Surprised you're still using the term "snowflakes" and sporting a handle you acknowledge as due for a change. Not really.
I just haven’t submitted to Tom to change the name yet. Get a life and stop harassing me about a stupid screen name.

Reaction Score
The physically outmatched part isn't really going to change until we get new players. They can fight and compete but Josh and Polley aren't all of a sudden going to be able to push people around and jump over them. There can be incremental strength and positioning improvements but they just aren't physically strong.
This is the key. Right now we just don’t have the players. I doubt we had anyone out there last night who would start for Houston. Until we upgrade the talent pool beating a top 10 opponent is really a difficult task.

Reaction Score
Agreed. Love the fight to battle back but the halftime speech needs work. We are only battling back because we dig ourselves a hole coming out of halftime almost every game.

After being down three at half, we did come out flat and the deficit quickly spiraled out of control. Without our two best players and against the #9 team in the country we easily could have folded. Absolutely loved the fight.

I really like what I see from Josh Carlton, and although he needs to work on some things, he has steadily progressed throughout the season. As much as people talk about the the three freshman coming in, CV and AG, I think Josh might be just as critical as those guys. Holding out hope we land another big, but I wouldn't write off Josh. He could be a very good player. Just needs a bit more confidence and strength, of which the confidence has been building.

Reaction Score
Agreed. Love the fight to battle back but the halftime speech needs work. We are only battling back because we dig ourselves a hole coming out of halftime almost every game.
It really only happens against teams that are better than us. Which is not surprising.

Bomber36

Respect All, Fear None.
Reaction Score
Temple just shot the ball out therir minds. They hit 9 of the first 10. Covered or not. That had little to do with us. They just had one of those great nights. Let's see them do it again.
They got killed by Tulsa in their next game...only scored 58 I think. Goes to show you how hot they were against us.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
He's new to the culture. The enerfy can be learned. Naturally a pretty reserved kid from what I gather. I wouldn't have concerns--he knows Hurley and hard work are his ticket to the pros.
Guarantee if he was jumping up and down and hollering, someone else on the yard would have an issue with the new guy needing to act like he'd been there before or some nonsense.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
The physically outmatched part isn't really going to change until we get new players. They can fight and compete but Josh and Polley aren't all of a sudden going to be able to push people around and jump over them. There can be incremental strength and positioning improvements but they just aren't physically strong.

Josh has gotten much better holding rebounding position and getting rebounds in traffic. He's also doing a much better job jumping straight up on offense and defense reducing his foul count.

Dare I say he's approaching "lunchpail" or "yeoman's work" status with his box scores. He had 8 points, 10 boards, blocks and got tot the line for 10 FT's. All in 24 min. No complaints about that line ever.

He's averaged 9.9 points and 8.8 rebounds over the past 10 games. Any marginal improvement for next year and he's a walking double double.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Also seems to happen against good coaches who make halftime adjustments to which we don't respond very well.

I just made the comment in Chief's Briefs thread I would like to see quicker TO's at the start of the second half the first instance any player doesn't cover something discussed during halftime. Also for the coaches. They are slow as a staff to recognize adjustments and not stemming the flow.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Disagree about the culture already setting in. Too early to say that, and I haven’t seen enough.

Are you joking? Nothing could be more obvious. Playing this team is like playing a bunch of rabid raccoons. They have become fearless. It doesn't always mean they execute, and they miss defensive assignments, but the difference from the last two years is stark. Last year's team loses this by 25, because once down 12 or so they pack it in and wish they were home playing video games.

This is UConn under Hurley

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Honestly the best thing for this team now and going forward is what’s been happening, and that’s forcing more out of Wilson Polley and Carlton. I wish Diarra or Whaley would get Cobbs minutes. It’s time to develop guys for the future.

The heavy writing on the wall is all three of them will play the exact same amount of minutes for UConn next year.

Friendship

Filled With My Husky Friends
Reaction Score
Fight, fight Connecticut, it’s victory, Let’s go!!!

Reaction Score

I'm happy we fought so hard, but this sticks in my mind when thinking about this game.

It's hard for me to be impressed with Houston after last night. Might have to sharpie them out before S16 unfortunately.

Fortunately for them I tend to get these things wrong 100% of the time.

Reaction Score
"We don't do that any more here."

Sheeeeeesh
Hurley’s overt criticism of the last regime seems to show his frustration over how difficult it’s been to remove the soft, loser mentality out of the team. Even more difficult than any of us realized.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom