Seeing Sam Cassell Jr in action in JC playoffs tonight! | The Boneyard

Seeing Sam Cassell Jr in action in JC playoffs tonight!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Sounds like you picked a good game to attend, Chipola won with Cassell scoring 26 pts

Reaction Score
I think we're really going to like Sam Jr and the maturity of his game……….don't count him out for a spot!!

Reaction Score
I'm going to try to catch his next game with my boys tomorrow afternoon and do a full write up. He was who I expected in many ways and that's not bad at all! He did sit for an extended period plus since strong probability I see him tomorrow, I'll post something over the weekend in great detail.​

Reaction Score
Sorry for the delay getting back to you guys, a lot going on with work this week and family stuff.

I saw two games, one where he played very well, another where he played ok (not bad). So that probably helps me make more informed comments.

Thursday night (Quarterfinal)

The Good: Had the play of the night, a gorgeous drive shift in mid-air absorb a ton of contact and make a fadeaway layup (like just outside layup range to be more precise). The bad on that play, drew a tech for taunting the bench of the other team (they were the tournament host so a hostile crowd.

-He probably took 10-12 foul shots only two even grazed rim; one went in the other didn't. I would say he's easily an 80%+ free throw shooter going forward.

-Hit threes shows good form when he steps into the shot, its nearly automatic.

-He is an extremely smart player, his team would get pressed and he never lost composure at any point. Plays really under control and passes accurately out of the press, really follows through on his passes so they arrive at destination chest high. He has a tight handle.

-They played zone and he anticipated several passes.

-Old man's crafty game, plays at different speeds all night, knows when to go fast and when to slow things down. Draws contact in the lane pretty well. I would say this was the strength of his game.

When the game got close, they looked for him every single time, despite the fact that they have a terrific point guard. Sam plays both positions on the team. He was a closer drawing contact, making good decisions and hitting foul shots.

Did not take a bad shot, really had a quiet night despite 25+ points.

The Bad: Body language was kind of poor most of the night, got onto teammates quite a bit; the tech. Maybe just emotional that night... it happens.

Average athlete, not Beverly type but certainly no Boat Show. (who is)

Friday (Semifinal)

Shot kinda poorly, fading away many times on his threes. Again, when squared hit them all. Will not repeat many of the same from above. Much lower % from the floor. Really struggled finishing at the rim, although in Juco ball there are tons of 6'6 athletes that can jump out of the gym but don't have a real strong basketball skillset.

Body language much better. Hit some key threes when it got close. Made foul shots again down the stretch.

In all, I don't think he is a starter here until late in his career, but a very valuable combo guard that can shoot the three very well, is poised and will not hurt you. Trying to think of a comp, but drawing a blank now. Very much like dad in his old man's crafty game. I think if he's a hard worker will be very good, but if not could be JAG. I like the pickup, would like to see him be a 6th man type.

I will try to post more if I think of it as I have to get ready for the Stock Market open!

Reaction Score
Sounds like we'll have a deep backcourt over the next few years, with Boat and Purvis starting, Samuel and Cassell off the bench. Then the following year we'll have One of Samuel/Cassell and Purvis starting (all juniors), with the other of Cassell/Samuel and Jackson coming off the bench, plus Prince Ali.

We only need to bring in a true center for 2015 and ideally another 4 with a versatile game, to replace DD.

Reaction Score
We might need a true sf if DH is a one and done. If not do we wait for 16 for a sf. Whatever the case we will have 3 really good ball handlers on the floor next year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom