Section 121 Observations | The Boneyard

Section 121 Observations

Reaction Score
. . . in no particular order . . .
12. Vital had a short stretch where he made two mistakes, one of which was making a tough shot and then not getting back on D. His guy makes an uncontested 3. Other mistake, I think, was getting lost on D. In general, he is out of sorts. Missed wide open 3s, and not closely. I don't like him not starting, but I understand Hurley has his reasons, and I trust that they are good. Vital is an elite rebounder. From up close it's easier to see. His first rebound, when it came off the rim, a pack of guys went up for it, and he shot to the place where the ball was going and took it clean. He reminds me of that scene from NCFOM - "I know where the money is." "I know something better. I know where it's going to be."
4. The young lady who sang the national anthem was awesome. I had a tear in my eye . . . and that was before I saw that she was blind. Crowd did a great job keeping the ovation going. Hurley gave her indi props. Well done.
5. We got a block charge late that could have easily gone against us - think it was Smith. Big call that went our way.
8. Lady behind me was from Lawng Giland. She complained about Chodges and commented on the Good Bauds.
2. The upper level across from the benches had a lot of empty seats. The upper level behind me, bench side, was full. Good job by the marketing department, I suppose.
10. The absolute worst part about watching a game live at the HCC or G is the lack of replays on contested calls. Not sure what the reason for that is, but it's an abomination.
1. Polly has a lot of potential. Not sure if he can reach it, but he has the physical tools. He battled today. I think he needs to want it more. I suspect (guess) that he is closer to the mentality of the guy who Penny ripped than Hurley would prefer. If he played angry, well, he'd be a lot better.
7. Ray sends out props to KO during his speech, along with Donny Marshall. Said they were extremely hard working, and set the tone for him. Crowd applauded. Well done. We need to get back there. No excuse to get outworked. Ever.
3. Sid, I'm afraid, will end up in the same category as Stan and AD when it's all said and done. That is, guys whose stats did not closely match their physical potential. Guy has an NBA, all-world body. He's as athletic as Stan, to my eye. Him and Polly need to unlock their beast modes.
D. Gilbert reminds me a lot of Freshman Kemba - all go, all heart, lots of talent apparent, and loads of freshman mistakes. He's the quickest guy on the court - by a lot. He'll continue to get better. When he learns to throttle it down, and gets some help - he'll be solid.
6. The cardboard head collection in the student section was commendable. 50s Jonathan, Chuck Norris, Dwight Schrute. Well done.
15. CHeerleaders did a flip around thing that looked unpracticed and dangerous. Girl on top was hanging on to prevent falling. Looked unsafe. Not impressive.
34. I had the urge to walk up to random funny looking guys and ask, "Chief?" To see if I could get a surprised look.
20. Tarin Smith gets too much guff here. Kid is a dependable player. Works extremely hard. Gives you what he gives you, pretty much every game. If he's a Hurley type kid, and we can get rich men's versions of him, we are going to be very, very good. Syrapuke board, after the loss, had a post, of which the grist was . . . "Dan Hurley is a POS, but can you imagine how good his teams will be if he gets talent." They see it. In advance Tarin, thank you for being a Husky and helping us through these tough times. I appreciate you.
~. Collins and Yetna are a very nice, young core. Croat is solid. I was sure Collins was going to hit all 3. Kid plays mean. We need more of that.
0. 1st time back to campus in years. Bigger. Newer. More buildings. Nice, in general. Gampel was in good shape. The Pasqualoni tiles looked amazing.

Crank it Up.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
"Pasqualoni tiles"

Eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeep

Reaction Score
. . . in no particular order . . .
12. Vital had a short stretch where he made two mistakes, one of which was making a tough shot and then not getting back on D. His guy makes an uncontested 3. Other mistake, I think, was getting lost on D. In general, he is out of sorts. Missed wide open 3s, and not closely. I don't like him not starting, but I understand Hurley has his reasons, and I trust that they are good. Vital is an elite rebounder. From up close it's easier to see. His first rebound, when it came off the rim, a pack of guys went up for it, and he shot to the place where the ball was going and took it clean. He reminds me of that scene from NCFOM - "I know where the money is." "I know something better. I know where it's going to be."
4. The young lady who sang the national anthem was awesome. I had a tear in my eye . . . and that was before I saw that she was blind. Crowd did a great job keeping the ovation going. Hurley gave her indi props. Well done.
5. We got a block charge late that could have easily gone against us - think it was Smith. Big call that went our way.
8. Lady behind me was from Lawng Giland. She complained about Chodges and commented on the Good Bauds.
2. The upper level across from the benches had a lot of empty seats. The upper level behind me, bench side, was full. Good job by the marketing department, I suppose.
10. The absolute worst part about watching a game live at the HCC or G is the lack of replays on contested calls. Not sure what the reason for that is, but it's an abomination.
1. Polly has a lot of potential. Not sure if he can reach it, but he has the physical tools. He battled today. I think he needs to want it more. I suspect (guess) that he is closer to the mentality of the guy who Penny ripped than Hurley would prefer. If he played angry, well, he'd be a lot better.
7. Ray sends out props to KO during his speech, along with Donny Marshall. Said they were extremely hard working, and set the tone for him. Crowd applauded. Well done. We need to get back there. No excuse to get outworked. Ever.
3. Sid, I'm afraid, will end up in the same category as Stan and AD when it's all said and done. That is, guys whose stats did not closely match their physical potential. Guy has an NBA, all-world body. He's as athletic as Stan, to my eye. Him and Polly need to unlock their beast modes.
D. Gilbert reminds me a lot of Freshman Kemba - all go, all heart, lots of talent apparent, and loads of freshman mistakes. He's the quickest guy on the court - by a lot. He'll continue to get better. When he learns to throttle it down, and gets some help - he'll be solid.
6. The cardboard head collection in the student section was commendable. 50s Jonathan, Chuck Norris, Dwight Schrute. Well done.
15. CHeerleaders did a flip around thing that looked unpracticed and dangerous. Girl on top was hanging on to prevent falling. Looked unsafe. Not impressive.
34. I had the urge to walk up to random funny looking guys and ask, "Chief?" To see if I could get a surprised look.
20. Tarin Smith gets too much guff here. Kid is a dependable player. Works extremely hard. Gives you what he gives you, pretty much every game. If he's a Hurley type kid, and we can get rich men's versions of him, we are going to be very, very good. Syrapuke board, after the loss, had a post, of which the grist was . . . "Dan Hurley is a POS, but can you imagine how good his teams will be if he gets talent." They see it. In advance Tarin, thank you for being a Husky and helping us through these tough times. I appreciate you.
~. Collins and Yetna are a very nice, young core. Croat is solid. I was sure Collins was going to hit all 3. Kid plays mean. We need more of that.
0. 1st time back to campus in years. Bigger. Newer. More buildings. Nice, in general. Gampel was in good shape. The Pasqualoni tiles looked amazing.

Crank it Up.

Very Frank from Crank, love it.

3) If Sid ends up like Stanley I will be ecstatic and then some. Long way to go, needs to add to the education of his game in a monster way he's more Cobb than Stanley right now. I hope he gets there.

Entertaining thanks, loving #8!

Reaction Score
Very Frank from Crank, love it.

3) If Sid ends up like Stanley I will be ecstatic and then some. Long way to go, needs to add to the education of his game in a monster way he's more Cobb than Stanley right now. I hope he gets there.

Entertaining thanks, loving #8!
Mau, should I syndicate? Compete with Chief's Briefs, The Report Card, ThoughtZ? Wouldn't the syndicated name be obvious? "Crank's Frank Talk." Lol.

Reaction Score
I’m certainly not closing the book on Sid but did anyone see him stand in the lane like a statue and watch that dunk? I thought he had bought a ticket. He does not have a world class body at this point and his shooting is, well we know. That said, if he was to work himself to near death in the weight room and on the court he could have a big future. Unfortunately the probability of that is not great IMO. Hope I’m wrong.

Reaction Score
Mau, should I syndicate? Compete with Chief's Briefs, The Report Card, ThoughtZ? Wouldn't the syndicated name be obvious? "Crank's Frank Talk." Lol.
Would be hilarious if you upended Chief and co-opted "Quite Frankly" somehow. Quite Crankly?

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
I’m certainly not closing the book on Sid but did anyone see him stand in the lane like a statue and watch that dunk? I thought he had bought a ticket. He does not have a world class body at this point and his shooting is, well we know. That said, if he was to work himself to near death in the weight room and on the court he could have a big future. Unfortunately the probability of that is not great IMO. Hope I’m wrong.

Considering he had an entire year of not playing to bulk up, and still looks like an emaciated scarecrow, I think it's safe to say he is what he is in the weight/strength dept.

Reaction Score
Yes! I saw it and it really bothered me. What’s worse is that the announcer said “Late down low help by Wilson” instead of “NO down low help by Wilson”.

I will have to say it didn’t bother me half as much as fouling the 3 point shooter at the end of the game. I am getting over both of these blunders a lot quicker due to the end result.

Reaction Score
Yes! I saw it and it really bothered me. What’s worse is that the announcer said “Late down low help by Wilson” instead of “NO down low help by Wilson”.

I will have to say it didn’t bother me half as much as fouling the 3 point shooter at the end of the game. I am getting over both of these blunders a lot quicker due to the end result.
I tried to back up the video to see if it was him, guess it was. Couldn’t see it well, was it phantom? Either way he has no business doing it. With his great spring he has put back and rebound ability. If he can hone a 17 footer we’re all set, but we still need more help at his spot.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Considering he had an entire year of not playing to bulk up, and still looks like an emaciated scarecrow, I think it's safe to say he is what he is in the weight/strength dept.

We didn't exactly have the best protocols in place. I think that's been established.

Hurley has said Sid needs to get hungrier if he's going there to get where he wants to go.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
1. Polley has a ton of potential. The play where Polley crashed the basket from the corner and took a pass inside (I think from Josh) will be a nice wrinkle to the high ball screens and handoffs. Right now, any coaching staff worth their salt, looks at film and only has to concern its team on making sure to get a hand in Polley's face when he shoots from 3.
If UConn starts having him crash the glass, it opens up back door alley oops, the drop off pass and even, gasp, offensive rebounds. What those plays all have in common is they also increase the probability of him getting fouled and getting to the line for freebies.
3. Sid. I'm not as down on him as many are on this board. I, like everyone, can see his bounce, quickness and length. And like everyone, I see him make some brutally poor basketball decisions. The obvious out of the way, I think you have to get him minutes and play through those mistakes. Mostly I want him getting minutes to slow down the game on the offensive end. There's times it looks like he surprised he got so open with a move and he rushes the final part- making the basket. He plays like a kid with way too many AAU games under his belt and not enough structured games under his belt.

Reaction Score
I’m optimistic regarding Sid. He will get better, he has talent, just needs some time with this great staff. Hopefully he gets some more bulk but as someone stated it may just be in his genes that he is a skinny dude no matter what he does in the weight room. He will be a valuable guy off the bench at the very least. After seeing Carltons massive improvement I am hoping the staff can accomplish the same with Sid.

Reaction Score

Much better than the other post game reports.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
I am just happy UConn got another win before the season ended. Losing out was a possibility when Adams went down. I think the team has been hustling and seems to finally be understanding Hurley's defensive rotations. There was more 1-on-1 than I like to see (only 9 assists on 20 made baskets, and I think the 9 assists may be a bit generous by the statkeeper).

I am sure Hurley has his reasons for Vital. We are a better team when Vital is one of the 5 on the court, so this minutes reduction feels more about next year than Vital's play.

DAC17

Once upon a time, would never miss a game
Reaction Score
So, is it a sad commentary on the program that there were 1,133 empty seats in the next to last game of the year at Gampel, and Ray Allen was in the house to have his number retired? That place would have been stuffed a while back. Long way back, I’m afraid...

Reaction Score
I tried to back up the video to see if it was him, guess it was. Couldn’t see it well, was it phantom? Either way he has no business doing it. With his great spring he has put back and rebound ability. If he can hone a 17 footer we’re all set, but we still need more help at his spot.
I think we will see alot of Bouknight at the 3 with AG and Gafney at the guards. Not sure what Vital's future is with the team so not penciling him into any lineups.

Reaction Score
So, is it a sad commentary on the program that there were 1,133 empty seats in the next to last game of the year at Gampel, and Ray Allen was in the house to have his number retired? That place would have been stuffed a while back. Long way back, I’m afraid...
That's a glass half-empty view, my friend. and I understand why you've posted this thought . . .
But, . . . Let's go with the glass half full - w/o the coaching change, there might have been 4,000 empty seats in Gampel under the same conditions.

Trajectory is often much more important than position. Instantaneous rate of change is more important that y-axis value, and moving average and %yoy change moreso yet. Would we rather be at ground floor and heading up or on the 5th floor and free falling?

intlzncster

Reaction Score
That's a glass half-empty view, my friend. and I understand why you've posted this thought . . .
But, . . . Let's go with the glass half full - w/o the coaching change, there might have been 4,000 empty seats in Gampel under the same conditions.

Trajectory is often much more important than position. Instantaneous rate of change is more important that y-axis value, and moving average and %yoy change moreso yet. Would we rather be at ground floor and heading up or on the 5th floor and free falling?

Yes, and I'm not even sure we've reached an inflection point yet.

Reaction Score

Yes, and I'm not even sure we've reached an inflection point yet.

Wow. Sure hope we're past the inflection point, especially with the new players for next year offering a better future and more excitement.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Wow. Sure hope we're past the inflection point, especially with the new players for next year offering a better future and more excitement.

You can be on a steep upward trajectory without having hit the inflection point. My statement was a reflection on just how far down we were (and hence how far we've had to come).

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom