Secret Scrimmage | Page 10 | The Boneyard

Secret Scrimmage

Reaction Score
Maybe the fact that AG shot 38.1% from the field last year (by far lowest on any guy getting 20 minutes a game) gives some pause as to whether there has been significant improvement for such a key guy. Jalen and his 13 shots a game at 48.7% need to be replaced so hoped that AG would show out, that he did not is not a plus. You don't go into scrimmage intending to show your team and head coach who the leader is and shoot like this.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Maybe the fact that AG shot 38.1% from the field last year (by far lowest on any guy getting 20 minutes a game) gives some pause as to whether there has been significant improvement for such a key guy. Jalen and his 13 shots a game at 48.7% need to be replaced so hoped that AG would show out, that he did not is not a plus. You don't go into scrimmage intending to show your team and head coach who the leader is and shoot like this.

You don't know how it unfolded. Was he having to take bale out shots because the offense was stalling? We're we not moving to open spots when he drove? Was he simply taking bad shots? Was he on point with his shots, just rimming out? and so on...

This was his first offseason in his college career--a crazy but true statement. We won't know what we have until the first few games.

Reaction Score

Kemba shot 40% his 2nd year and only 42% his last year. He's no Kemba who had to take tons of shots but lets not stress shooting percentages especially in a scrimmage. His shots could have been rimming in and out or missed a bunch of layups he normally makes or he since hes only one on the team that game who could create own shot he had to create late in shot clock.

Al didn't shoot well those few games Jalen was out but he hit big shot after big shot and kept us in to the end and thats what I want except this year I want the W.

• First Cincy game, Jalen fouls out and who hits big shot to put us in OT?
  • 2nd cincy game- Gilbert shot horrible but UConn made a big run on good D and lost on a few deep Cane Broome shots.
  • Wichita State- left game late with leg cramps but came back in and hit two huge threes one that tied the game with 7 seconds left before losing on last second shot.
  • Temple we were in the game right until he took a smack to the face that ended his season.
He may never be the same McDAA he once was but thats fine we need a leader who can right the ship and I think he is perfect for that role.

joober jones

Finally Non-Fat Guy
Reaction Score
We had center by committee in '94 and it worked out pretty well in the sense that we made it to to the Sweet 16. At the 5, we had Eric Hayward, Boo Willingham, Kirk King, and a very raw Travis Knight. Knight and King developed into much better players down the road, but in that season, we weren't that much worse off at the 5 than we are now. Of course we had Ray/Doron/Donyell Marshall/Donny Marshall. This is becoming another pointless post on my part so I'll stop here.

Reaction Score
Not exactly a scrimmage but...

It seems like yesterday I was in Reading PA on Business and during a break there was the Sunday Paper laying there.
I grabbed the Sports section and one full page was a color photo of this real hot prospect. Donyell Marshall He was that big of a deal . I can’t remember if it was before or after he committed but UConn signing a player with a national reputation like his was amazing. He still might be the highest rated prospect we ever recruited.

Reaction Score
It seems like yesterday I was in Reading PA on Business and during a break there was the Sunday Paper laying there.
I grabbed the Sports section and one full page was a color photo of this real hot prospect. Donyell Marshall He was that big of a deal . I can’t remember if it was before or after he committed but UConn signing a player with a national reputation like his was amazing. He still might be the highest rated prospect we ever recruited.
And he lived up to it. Man I thought he was going to bring us a title in his last year. I dont think ive ever loved watching a Uconn player more than Donyell. Uconn was a national power by the time he left, I was a teenager and it was the 90s. Man life was great.

Reaction Score
Seemed like Donyell could dunk the ball from the foul line.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
. I can’t remember if it was before or after he committed but UConn signing a player with a national reputation like his was amazing. He still might be the highest rated prospect we ever recruited.

I think Charlie V was #2-3 in the nation. Same with Drummond.

Reaction Score
You don't know how it unfolded. Was he having to take bale out shots because the offense was stalling? We're we not moving to open spots when he drove? Was he simply taking bad shots? Was he on point with his shots, just rimming out? and so on...

This was his first offseason in his college career--a crazy but true statement. We won't know what we have until the first few games.
Of course I don't know how it unfolded, didn't claim that I did, guess you don't either based on your list of possible excuses (missed the one that maybe he's a poor shooter). Never said I knew what we have with AG, just keeping it real, he is what he has shown to date until he shows more. Same with Sid (shot even worse than AG last year but didn't play 20 minutes a game), hoping AG and Sid shoot better isn't going to make it happen, they have to just make more shots.
AG shot worst accuracy % of players with 20 minutes per game or more last year. He shot 4-18 this scrimmage. He was by far the worst shooter for UConn in the scrimmage. He is the leader of the team, regardless of how lame the other players were on offense he can not shoot 4-18 and have it as a positive; it is what it is, a negative indicator.

Reaction Score
Wasn't Rudy like 1 or 2?
Rudy was the composite #5 recruit. Charlie V. is like #17 or something because one of the services didn't rank him, he was like a composite #6 if you take all the other services. Drummond was always #1 or #2 in his class by the end of high school Drummond was #2 after Anthony Davis but they don't even list him in the composite because of his reclass and then change of heart.

UconnU

If he blocks 100, he blocks 100
Reaction Score
Drummond was 2
Until the reclassification. They dropped him to 80(?) or something insanely low number of my memory serves me correct.

Reaction Score
I think Charlie V was #2-3 in the nation. Same with Drummond.
I don’t recall CV being that high and yes AD was ranked higher but in the mmone and done era it’s not the same thing.
Not a knock on AD but comparing his
UConn impact to Donuell’s is really silly.
Wasn't Rudy like 1 or 2?
CV was 5
2 PF

Reaction Score
Corny Thompson was #5 in the country if I recall rightly. That was before JC, which in itself makes signing Corny possibly the greatest, and most improbable, recruiting victory UConn has ever had. Beat out UNC.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
I don’t recall CV being that high and yes AD was ranked higher but in the mmone and done era it’s not the same thing.
Not a knock on AD but comparing his
UConn impact to Donuell’s is really silly.

CV was 5
2 PF

Yeah, I remembered #2 PF as #2 overall. Still, not much difference between #5 and number 2. Rudy was about #5 too.

I still don't think Yell was that high, but I might be misremembering that too. Couldn't find it on a quick google. He certainly wasn't recruited by the absolute cream schools. It was like Cuse, Us, and somebody else.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Corny Thompson was #5 in the country if I recall rightly. That was before JC, which in itself makes signing Corny possibly the greatest, and most improbable, recruiting victory UConn has ever had. Beat out UNC.
The youngsters don't realize what a huge deal the Corny/McKay class was. They didn't make as much noise as we thought they would have but I think that more due to Perno's coaching than their ability.

(As always, I will note that I frequently think about what the Corny/McKay/Aleksinas might have done if they were coached by Calhoun.)

Reaction Score
The youngsters don't realize what a huge deal the Corny/McKay class was. They didn't make as much noise as we thought they would have but I think that more due to Perno's coaching than their ability.

(As always, I will note that I frequently think about what the Corny/McKay/Aleksinas might have done if they were coached by Calhoun.)
Don’t ever say that class didn’t accomplish anything.It might be the most important class in schools history.
They are partially responsible for getting us into the Big East
They were an NCAA tournament team in 1979
Without that move nothing else is possible
Corny had a great career after the NBA in the Spanish League
1991 MVP . I remember watching him play. He turned that extra weight he carried into muscle and didn’t look like the kid that played for UConn.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Don’t ever say that class didn’t accomplish anything.It might be the most important class in schools history.
They are partially responsible for getting us into the Big East
They were an NCAA tournament team in 1979
Without that move nothing else is possible
Corny had a great career after the NBA in the Spanish League
1991 MVP . I remember watching him play. He turned that extra weight he carried into muscle and didn’t look like the kid that played for UConn.
I didn't say that never accomplished anything. But being a NCAA team is a pretty low accomplishment given the amount of talent on that team.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom