Secret scrimmage on Saturday | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Secret scrimmage on Saturday

Status
Not open for further replies.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Secret scrimmages aren’t treated like regular games in that, while scores may be kept, they aren’t released. Players aren’t available for interview and we won’t see replays. For the NCAA to allow these games against a Division I team, the games gave to be, well, secret, totally unofficial, and no one is supposed to know about them. Of course, keeping a secret like that is impossible nowadays so we are aware of them but UConn has to pretend that nothing has happened.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
While we won’t know any stats from the secret scrimmage, coaches can discuss “general impressions” from the scrimmage: overall team execution, who played well, etc. I do expect to hear Geno’s thoughts on the scrimmage, just as we heard from Dan Hurley on the men’s scrimmage last week.

Reaction Score
South Carolina-Rutgers scrimmage was broadcast, stats kept, people allowed to attend, etc. I don't see why UConn isn't allowed to do the same.

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
Nope… they get a choice. Is it between 2 shoes, maybe/ I just watched the 2014 champion game. There were 2 different sneakers worn.
I should have said the same color of shoes not the same shoes. Last year Nika almost always wore low cut shoes that allowed her to wear the ankle supporters, while some of the other players wore a different type of shoe. One thing that they had in common is that they were the same color and Nike's.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I just looked up the NCAA rules so I would know what was allowed. They can have that secret scrimmage and also have 2 exhibition games that are not against an NCAA D1 team (the one Nov 4 and Toronto). The scrimmage Geno referred to where Carolyn hit 8-9 3 point shots was obviously just a team activity (practice). It is nice that they actually have at least 10 healthy bodies so 5 on 5 internal scrimage is possible :).
It’s pretty simple, SC- Rutgers was not a scrimmage. It was an exhibition game, same as the one UConn will play this coming Saturday.

Not so. Generally, there are two types of preseason games. First, there are exhibition games, which can be played against D2 or D3 teams. Those exhibitions are allowed to have spectators and are played like a regular game. Normally exhibitions cannot be played between D1 teams. Secondly, there are scrimmages against D1 teams, which must be held in private and are not supposed to have any official statistics.

However, there is one exception to the rule about exhibition games. If two D1 teams get special permission from the NCAA to play a game for a special charity then they can play a game in front of spectators with a real score being kept etc. In the case of the South Carolina vs Rutgers game that you mention, it was being played to raise money for a specific breast cancer charity. Rutgers and South Carolina were granted a waiver by the NCAA to play this exhibition game in honor of Nikki McCray-Penson, who was an assistant coach on both teams and passed away this summer.

That game was not at all like the UConn exhibition game that will take place next Saturday.

Reaction Score
Not so. Generally, there are two types of preseason games. First, there are exhibition games, which can be played against D2 or D3 teams. Those exhibitions are allowed to have spectators and are played like a regular game. Normally exhibitions cannot be played between D1 teams. Secondly, there are scrimmages against D1 teams, which must be held in private and are not supposed to have any official statistics.

However, there is one exception to the rule about exhibition games. If two D1 teams get special permission from the NCAA to play a game for a special charity then they can play a game in front of spectators with a real score being kept etc. In the case of the South Carolina vs Rutgers game that you mention, it was being played to raise money for a specific breast cancer charity. Rutgers and South Carolina were granted a waiver by the NCAA to play this exhibition game in honor of Nikki McCray-Penson, who was an assistant coach on both teams and passed away this summer.

That game was not at all like the UConn exhibition game that will take place next

That game was not at all like the UConn exhibition game that will take place next Saturday.
So other than the level of the opponent they are the same. They are both exhibition games right? My point is that they’re not scrimmages.

Reaction Score
The Syracuse coach seems like a class act from the games I’ve been to and interviews I’ve watched. Hoping for the best for her and not surprised she would want to play against the best (even in a scrimmage).
FLJ has a policy she calls CAB which she expects from all her players.
C for Character, A for Academics, and finally B for basketball.
When you play for her she is with you the rest of your life.
Had she been the coach Stewie would have gotten the home game.

Reaction Score
So other than the level of the opponent they are the same. They are both exhibition games right? My point is that they’re not scrimmages.

No, they are not the same for one other very important reason. An exhibition game vs a D2 or D3 team is allowed under NCAA rules. An exhibition game vs a D1 team is not allowed, except under a rarely used exception which requires a team to apply to the NCAA and get a special exemption.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Don't knock it unless you tried it---the 2 hand set shot. Didn't Wes B (Uconn 60's) make a living from half court with that?
Wes Bialosuknia is the answer to a trivia question. He led the ABA in 3-pt shooting when the 3-pt shot was first adopted, during his one and only year in the pros. With that said, Wes B had more of a one-handed push shot rather than a two-handed set shot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom