Second round opponent - what say you? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Second round opponent - what say you?

Who do you think is a better opponent for us in the 2nd round?

• Alabama

Votes: 14 45.2%
  • Baylor

Votes: 17 54.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Reaction Score
To put the “fear” of Baylor’s 3 point shooting in perspective; they shoot to a 32% as a team, Uconn 36%. Baylor has shot 218- 678, Uconn 210-581, so Baylor has made 8 more 3‘s on 97 more attempts.
There best % shooter at 39% attempts less that 2 per game, comparable to Griffin’s stats as far as attempts.
Their highest volume shooter shoots 35%, Uconn’s, Senechal, 43%. Next highest volume shooter for Baylor, 33%, next for Uconn is Muhl at 35% but her volume is largely statistical due to the games she has played vs. Fudd, who is at 37%, even with her last 4 games of scrubbing off the rust.
The 3rd of Baylor’s 3 point threats shoots virtually the same 35% as Muhl.
That is the gamut for Baylor but Uconn still has Ducharme and Juhasz as threats.
So is Baylor a threat from 3, yes, they average 21 attempts, so if they have an unconscious game, of course it can be a difference maker but the 3 is always a big wild card against teams that use it. But the point is, Uconn also has their weapons from 3, and would appear to play better defense and have better inside scoring. So the “anything can happen in one game” obviously applies but it will for every game from here on out.

Reaction Score
I wound up switching who I was rooting for in this game. Originally I was for Alabama as the lower seed. Then I saw a key Baylor player was sitting on the bench with her fingers taped together who did not return to action and switched to Baylor. I forget her name, but she is their best rebounder and Baylor does not appear to be very deep, and if they don't have her against us, they might be an easier opponent for us.

It also seems like we could get a break regarding Virginia Tech who had a player sit out the rest of their first tournament game due to injury. Haven't heard any details, but they are not that deep either, and if she is out for the tournament, it would significantly affect their chances.

Reaction Score
I picked Baylor. Just based on the history between the programs. If UConn plays like they did against Vermont, it does not matter who we play in these first two games and into the Sweet Sixteen phase.

Reaction Score
This is an "off-topic question. Villanova's Maddie Siegrist (God loves her) lit up Cleavland St. today for 35 points on 15 of 28 shots. I just wonder how many points Azzi, Caroline, or Lou could get if they put it up 28 times. :eek: The interesting thing about THAT query is..........we'll never know. :(
28 shots? Yikes! Hopefully, neither one of them will ever need to put up that many shots in any UCONN game. Hopefully, all 8, 9, 10 cylinders (players) are firing in the remaining games in the tournament.

Reaction Score
What about the start time? Game over around 11pm. Duke's game similar. Because?

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
I wound up switching who I was rooting for in this game. Originally I was for Alabama as the lower seed. Then I saw a key Baylor player was sitting on the bench with her fingers taped together who did not return to action and switched to Baylor. I forget her name, but she is their best rebounder and Baylor does not appear to be very deep, and if they don't have her against us, they might be an easier opponent for us.

It also seems like we could get a break regarding Virginia Tech who had a player sit out the rest of their first tournament game due to injury. Haven't heard any details, but they are not that deep either, and if sheold is out for the tournament, it would significantly affect their chances.
Ahhhh oldhuskie, opting for the path of least resistance, I concur! Whatever advantage we can get (no matter how small), I want it. ;)

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
You never take any opponent lightly however UConn is big and Baylor isnt. This will be a 20+ pt win with our bigs leading the way just like Geno said we will go as far as Dorka and Aaliyah take us. They are both really good and will be very hard to stop. UConn is on a mission and has been playing very focused with a killer instinct. Im concerned but not worried about this game. We have a bunch of scorers and players who can create their own shot. Baylor will have to get their shot, UConn can create their own shot. Huge difference.

Bald Husky

four score
Reaction Score
I stayed up to watch the Miss/Stanford game to see how good Stanford is, and I came to the conclusion that Stanford is not very good. In fact, they are terrible, and I could never understand why they were a #1 seed. Reputations aside, Iowa is the class of that region and I expect to see them in the final 4. That will be a great game against SC and I hope it falls that way. But, for now, our attention is on Baylor. As @CajunHusky said, we can't take anyone lightly, but keeping our head on straight will push us forward, and no matter who we play, we need to respect them as if they were SC. Go Huskies.

Reaction Score
While I view UConn as a heavy favorite, hoping Aubrey and her defense gets to put in major minutes. The only way Baylor could win is to get hot from the outside and we know what happens when Ms. Griffin and her defense is focused on a shooter.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
Im expecting Baylor to try and slow it down and UConn to dump it in inside as UConn has the height advantage. Baylor can not put up alot of points like UConn will so they will have to slow it down and be patient. Geno said we will go as far as Dorka and Aaliyah take us. Baylor can not compete with UConns size. Im not too concerned about Baylors outside shooting as I feel UConn will defend it much like they did against opponents in the BET where UConn pretty much shut down Olsen and Maddy to build a big lead. Im also expecting UConn to have a lead of 20+ and the reserves getting some time. To defend UConn when your undersized and with UConns scoring threats is a very tall order. It wont happen tonite. This UConn team is on a mission. Theyre all back and that changed how they run their offense and how opponents defend they. They have looked like a well oiled machine and have run over opponents with no mercy and they will continue to do that as long as they stay healthy and out of foul trouble. Its a late nite game so I expect many fans to fall asleep before the game is over. LOL only kidding.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Meaning no disrespect, but Vermont was a warm-up for round 2. The tournament begins in ernest for UConn tonight. Baylor will bring a much higher level of vibe and competition than the Catamounts were able to. The last home game this season for UConn. I hope and expect them to protect their house, and take care of business this evening. Tony, I concur with your outlook for tonight's game. :cool:

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Neither Alabama nor Baylor poses any kind of threat. Neither team has a credible post game to counter ours, and their guard play is not in our class. We could start Inês Ayanna and Amari and run away with the game against either one.
every team left in this tournament is a threat to UConn.......... if they play well, they should win but please don't take an easy victory over Baylor for granted........

Reaction Score
every team left in this tournament is a threat to UConn.......... if they play well, they should win but please don't take an easy victory over Baylor for granted........
Sorry, fans’ prerogative. Your advice is appropriate for the team — they shouldn’t take anything for granted — but fans absolutely should be optimistic. What’s the point of being a pessimistic fan, after all?

I get that we all are anxious about the next few games. But it doesn’t help the team if their own supporters don’t seem to believe in them.

Reaction Score
I got you........feel free........I certainly hope your optimism is well rewarded........

Reaction Score
So, we play another team whose colors are green and yellow (gold). Interesting.

Baylor should certainly be more of a test than Vermont was. However, I will be surprised if this game is close (less than 10 points) at the end. But it is March. and anything can happen.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom