SEC Tournament Bracket and Discussion | Page 5 | The Boneyard

SEC Tournament Bracket and Discussion

Reaction Score
I hate to break it to folks but both of those teams are contenders and looked every bit of it today.

No question some enterprising bunch of young ladies might knock either one of them out, but it ain't going to be easy.
Sorry, @Gamecockfan77. I only meant that they looked out of sorts, distracted disheveled for part of the 3rd quarter. I don’t doubt that SC is a favorite to win it alll. I’ve been saying this for months. They haven’t seemed quite so dominant the last couple of games, and that stretch in the third was discouraging. It’s hard to sustain the sort of intensity they usually have for an entire season. But I suspect Dawn will be able to use this game as motivation to rebuild the fire for this team.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Wow. Just checked the game on ESPN and saw it was on a delay. Heard about the hair pulling and thought that was it — but it turns out that was only in Q2!!! Sounds like the refs let the game get out of control FAST.

I wasn't watching the game, but was looking at my phone at the gamecast, and said Fulwey (sp) got the steal. Clicked back a few minutes later and it was stiill showing it as the last play... clicked back again, and it was still the last play. I was like hold up... is ESPN scoreboard messing up, so I punched up the game to see the score and saw the refs discussing the situation.

Of course, this is what led the sports radio score update segments... pretty sure its gonna be all over sports radio tonight and tomorrow

Reaction Score
A couple of observations:
  1. Both teams looked really flat in the 3rd, like they were too tired to play organized bb. It wasn’t really fatigue but it looked like it. Milaysia cleaned up on a few broken plays and FJ hit from the perimeter to keep the offenses moving. But it really looked like neither team could run a play for quite a stretch. Neither one looked to me like NC contenders today. I’m sure SC will pull it together before for next tournament.
  2. There was altogether too much taunting by both teams. Maybe this is what an SEC rivalry looks like these days. I don’t remember it being this bad before Kim and Angel joined the league. And Dawn has allowed a similar culture to grow up this season at SC. I don’t remember anything like this in the Boston years. I hope Dawn does something to clean it up. I have no expectation that Kim will do anything about it.
what happened today was unfortunate & disappointing. SC fans are not happy with how things played out on a day our team wins another SEC championship. Today’s game was physical and chippy but SC does not have a ’similar culture‘ to LSU and the ‘outlaw‘ image they have cultivated since KM’s arrival. Go watch the postgame pressers from Angel Reese and Mulkey and then from DS and her players and then get back go me. One team was defiant and unapologetic, throwing down a gauntlet for the next time they might meet and the other was contrite, subdued, and saying they will use this incident as a learning and growth experience for the players.

Reaction Score
what happened today was unfortunate & disappointing. SC fans are not happy with how things played out on a day our team wins another SEC championship. Today’s game was physical and chippy but SC does not have a ’similar culture‘ to LSU and the ‘outlaw‘ image they have cultivated since KM’s arrival. Go watch the postgame pressers from Angel Reese and Mulkey and then from DS and her players and then get back go me. One team was defiant and unapologetic, throwing down a gauntlet for the next time they might meet and the other was contrite, subdued, and saying they will use this incident as a learning and growth experience for the players.
Wasn’t South Carolina in a similar brawl with Missouri in 2018 or something? And there was similar chippiness against Duke and UNC as well this season. I like the fire and fighting South Carolina plays with, I wish they’d own up to it know. There’s obviously something about their culture that leads to fights breaking out because they are very very rare and 2 in under a decade lends itself to a trend.

Reaction Score
Wasn’t South Carolina in a similar brawl with Missouri in 2018 or something? And there was similar chippiness against Duke and UNC as well this season. I like the fire and fighting South Carolina plays with, I wish they’d own up to it know. There’s obviously something about their culture that leads to fights breaking out because they are very very rare and 2 in under a decade lends itself to a trend.

There was some pushing in a game against Missouri six years ago yeah.

Reaction Score
I knew someone would bring up the Missouri game - if your team ever played against Sophie Cunningham (dirtier than Reese) than maybe you would understand. Not condoning it, mind you . Plus that game feels like a 100 years ago. Program has grown leaps & bounds since then. As for UnC & Duke - old rivals from our ACC days and a lot of deep seated dislike & hatred from those bygone days from the fanbases. A couple of young players on the road responding to catcalls and not backing down to physical play from defensive minded opponents was all that was. Dawn addressed that with them afterwards. KC lost her cool & made a mistake today in a hell of a physical game against a bully team desperate to beat SC after getting beat on all day (hair pulled, elbowed intentionally in the face) by pushing a girl that pushed/elbowed her teammate. You want to call that a trend or a dirty culture, go ahead.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I knew someone would bring up the Missouri game - if your team ever played against Sophie Cunningham (dirtier than Reese) than maybe you would understand. Not condoning it, mind you . Plus that game feels like a 100 years ago. Program has grown leaps & bounds since then. As for UnC & Duke - old rivals from our ACC days and a lot of deep seated dislike & hatred from those bygone days from the fanbases. A couple of young players on the road responding to catcalls and not backing down to physical play from defensive minded opponents was all that was. Dawn addressed that with them afterwards. KC lost her cool & made a mistake today in a hell of a physical game against a bully team desperate to beat SC after getting beat on all day (hair pulled, elbowed intentionally in the face) by pushing a girl that pushed/elbowed her teammate. You want to call that a trend or a dirty culture, go ahead.
If there are deep seeded feelings between Duke and UNC with South Carolina from a rivalry perspective, it resides solely with some fans and I'd argue SC fans primarily at least where Duke is concerned.

The UNC and Duke rivalry is as deep seated as it gets. They played each other twice this year and nothing got remotely to the "chippiness" level of the USC games........

So at least 3 chippy games and one common denominator ...... Dawn saying, "This is not who we are"....No it absolutely is who you are right now ...it is not who you want to be is more accurate. Hopefully, she gets through to them!

Last edited:
Reaction Score
If there are deep seeded feelings between Duke and UNC with South Carolina from a rivalry perspective, it resides solely with some fans and I'd argue SC fans primarily at least where Duke is concerned.

The UNC and Duke rivalry is as deep seeded as it gets. They played each other twice this year and nothing got remotely to the "chippiness" level of the USC games........

So at least 3 chippy games and one common denominator ...... Dawn saying, "This is not who we are"....No it absolutely is who you are right now ...it is not who you want to be is more accurate. Hopefully, she gets through to them!

Kamilla

Reaction Score

The UNC and Duke rivalry is as deep seeded as it gets. They played each other twice this year and nothing got remotely to the "chippiness" level of the USC games........

IMO it's apples to oranges here. Lots of teams bring a lot of emotions and attitudes, plus they get extra chippy, when they play South Carolina since we're viewed as the "Goliath" in women's basketball right now. Some of our players don't handle it well, particularly Cardoso and Watkins. I had thought we nipped this in the bud after the Duke and UNC games but I guess not. It's not a culture problem.

Rewatching the fight, it lasted not even 20 seconds and barely qualified as one. It was literally (1) Flau'jae intentionally fouls Fulwiley to prevent a layup (2) Flau'jae and Ashlynn bump into each other walking to their respective benches (3) Flau'jae shoves Ashlynn and some words were exchanged between the two (4) Cardoso blindside shoves Flau'jae, knocking her to the ground (5) the staffs and team members get in between and separate the teams. There were a few other things that happened while the teams were being separated like Flau'jae's brother coming onto the court, bench players leaving the bench to get a view, possibly Van Lith confronting Cardoso and punching her. But it was over as fast as it happened.

I feel like we are blowing this up to be something greater than it is. I don't see it as a "culture" problem. And I also don't think anyone is going to convince anyone else in this group to change their minds, so let's just drop it.

Reaction Score
IMO it's apples to oranges here. Lots of teams bring a lot of emotions and attitudes, plus they get extra chippy, when they play South Carolina since we're viewed as the "Goliath" in women's basketball right now. Some of our players don't handle it well, particularly Cardoso and Watkins. I had thought we nipped this in the bud after the Duke and UNC games but I guess not. It's not a culture problem.

Rewatching the fight, it lasted not even 20 seconds and barely qualified as one. It was literally (1) Flau'jae intentionally fouls Fulwiley to prevent a layup (2) Flau'jae and Ashlynn bump into each other walking to their respective benches (3) Flau'jae shoves Ashlynn and some words were exchanged between the two (4) Cardoso blindside shoves Flau'jae, knocking her to the ground (5) the staffs and team members get in between and separate the teams. There were a few other things that happened while the teams were being separated like Flau'jae's brother coming onto the court, bench players leaving the bench to get a view, possibly Van Lith confronting Cardoso and punching her. But it was over as fast as it happened.

I feel like we are blowing this up to be something greater than it is. I don't see it as a "culture" problem. And I also don't think anyone is going to convince anyone else in this group to change their minds, so let's just drop it.
I don't buy the Goliath argument at all. UCONN and TENN never had this problem in their prime. To be clear, I don't think Dawn is encouraging or fostering a culture that this type of behavior thrives in.....I think she doesn't shy away from recruiting kids who have a tendency to mix it up (other coaches do) and she works hard to change them (unlike Mulkey who seems to encourage it)....it is just taking Dawn quite a bit of time to squash their proclivities this year.

Reaction Score
Props to Carolyn Peck and the officials buying into the hype, Their professionalism was out the window this whole game. Good tough nose basketball is always a good thing but there is a limit and the adults must step in and keep it about basketball. As long as there is a Dawn and Kim on the sidelines this will now be a rivalry and must see TV.

Reaction Score
I'm switching the channel. Let's talk about Milaysia Fulwiley, SEC tournament MOP, and Tessa Johnson. They have improved leaps and bounds over the course of one season! I feel like they are playing like an upperclassmen now (with a few exceptions). We would not have won the tournament without their contributions. Tessa was critical during the Tennessee and Texas A&M games and Milaysia won the LSU game for us. LSU couldn't stop her when she took the floor.

Reaction Score
I'm switching the channel. Let's talk about Milaysia Fulwiley, SEC tournament MOP, and Tessa Johnson. They have improved leaps and bounds over the course of one season! I feel like they are playing like an upperclassmen now (with a few exceptions). We would not have won the tournament without their contributions. Tessa was critical during the Tennessee and Texas A&M games and Milaysia won the LSU game for us. LSU couldn't stop her when she took the floor.
I didn’t see any of Milaysia’s games in high school. But I was able to see a number of Tessa’s over the years and she is developing just as I would have expected. She was wonderful in high school and getting her to come was a brilliant bit of recruiting by Dawn.

Reaction Score
I didn’t see any of Milaysia’s games in high school. But I was able to see a number of Tessa’s over the years and she is developing just as I would have expected. She was wonderful in high school and getting her to come was a brilliant bit of recruiting by Dawn.
And isn't it a bit ironic that Lay as the freshman probably showed the most poise and maturity during the scuffle? (Vs. the senior Kamilla?) And she is the one who was actually fouled.

Reaction Score
Out of curiosity, how would you compare her in HS Vs Paige in HS? Paige is one of my favorite players BTW and I'm looking forward seeing her return to pre injury form.

Reaction Score
Fulwiley is an amazing and gifted player. I just love how quickly she blows by defenders in the open court and her finishing moves, she should have a skill development video out soon. She is like Steve Nash with her finishing moves. She is fun to watch.
Her speed and hops are hard to beat.

She doesn't really need the tricky stiff. Gets her in trouble a bit.

Getting consistent three point shot is the next thing. I hope she really grinds on that this offseason.

Reaction Score
Out of curiosity, how would you compare her in HS Vs Paige in HS? Paige is one of my favorite players BTW and I'm looking forward seeing her return to pre injury form.
Do you mean Tessa or Milaysia? Tessa was a freshman when Paige was a senior, and they played against each other in a few games. Tessa was a solid scorer as a HS freshman but she was nowhere near as skilled as Paige then. Remember, Paige was the bulwark of her HS teams from 9th grade on. Whatever they accomplished was due to her. By the time she was a Junior and a Senior, Tessa became that for her HS teams. She's a good shooter and defender and has a nose for the ball. But most importantly, she can handle the pressure of being a team's go-to player. I have a feeling Tessa will become that for Dawn. And if Milaysia can become an everyday PG, they may prove to be an awesome duo, among the best in D1.

Milaysia strikes me as a quick guard with a ton of confidence who can take most defenders to the rim. Her defense seems to have progressed and that's a really positive sign. I'm not sure she's a steady hand to run the offense all by herself... yet. But that's coming soon. As always, I stand in awe of Dawn's recruiting prowess!

I don't know if you watched the UConn-Marquette game yesterday, but it looks to me like Paige has already returned to NPoY form. I can hardly wait to see what's possible in Storrs, if Azzi can return to the form she showed pre-injury last season. The Paige and Azzi show has yet to have an official debut. Sigh.

Reaction Score
YES! They were both fantastic and provided much-needed energy (at times) and much-needed poise (at times). I love the fact that they can both get it done on both sides of the ball. Can't wait to see what they bring in the NCAAT!

Reaction Score
Good channel switch!

Reaction Score
Do you mean Tessa or Milaysia? Tessa was a freshman when Paige was a senior, and they played against each other in a few games. Tessa was a solid scorer as a HS freshman but she was nowhere near as skilled as Paige then. Remember, Paige was the bulwark of her HS teams from 9th grade on. Whatever they accomplished was due to her. By the time she was a Junior and a Senior, Tessa became that for her HS teams. She's a good shooter and defender and has a nose for the ball. But most importantly, she can handle the pressure of being a team's go-to player. I have a feeling Tessa will become that for Dawn. And if Milaysia can become an everyday PG, they may prove to be an awesome duo, among the best in D1.

Milaysia strikes me as a quick guard with a ton of confidence who can take most defenders to the rim. Her defense seems to have progressed and that's a really positive sign. I'm not sure she's a steady hand to run the offense all by herself... yet. But that's coming soon. As always, I stand in awe of Dawn's recruiting prowess!

I don't know if you watched the UConn-Marquette game yesterday, but it looks to me like Paige has already returned to NPoY form. I can hardly wait to see what's possible in Storrs, if Azzi can return to the form she showed pre-injury last season. The Paige and Azzi show has yet to have an official debut. Sigh.

Yes, thank you! I meant Tessa because I knew she and Paige were both from MN. While I think Tessa is underrated in a class of higher profile freshmen, I do know that Paige is more a once in a decade or so player. I have come to like and respect Caitlin Clark, but I would have taken a pre injury Paige over CC before. For one thing, Paige actually plays defense! And people seem to forget just how good Paige was. Wasn't it her freshman year when SC was soundly beating you before Paige singlehandedly led CT to a comeback and win? We couldn't stop her.

Reaction Score
Yes, thank you! I meant Tessa because I knew she and Paige were both from MN. While I think Tessa is underrated in a class of higher profile freshmen, I do know that Paige is more a once in a decade or so player. I have come to like and respect Caitlin Clark, but I would have taken a pre injury Paige over CC before. For one thing, Paige actually plays defense! And people seem to forget just how good Paige was. Wasn't it her freshman year when SC was soundly beating you before Paige singlehandedly led CT to a comeback and win? We couldn't stop her.
Don’t remember that ’ we were soundly beating them at any point in that game.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SeaDr

Top Bottom