SEC schools are about to become much richer. | Page 2 | The Boneyard

SEC schools are about to become much richer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I think he meant Big 10. However, your sentiment still fits. ;)

Yes, small possibility Uconn to b10 and not acc, havin a bad day with the laptop.

Reaction Score
The SEC should get paid. The BIG is living off alums sitting on their barcoloungers, sipping a cold one and watching a replay of the OSU-UM 99 classic. The SEC is light years ahead of everyone on the field - one could argue the entire Top 10 could be SEC teams. Pay em.

RMoore1999

Illegitimi Non Carborundum!
Reaction Score
Saw this coming for a while. Everyone was clamoring about how the B1G was going to take over and get anyone they wanted cause of money. I knew with the SEC having a new contract and network on the horizon it would put them very close money wise to the B1G and that would complicate the expansion scene.

As I said in the other thread IMO zero chance UNC goes to B1G. They will go SEC if the ACC goes down in flames. Unlike most I think Duke will be their partner. I know people claim the SEC said they dont want to double up in states but they already are doubled up in Tennessee, Bama, Mississippi (all states with less population than NC and florida) and had previously thought about doubling up in Florida by adding FSU in the early 90s.

Duke is a private school who doesnt have the growth potential larger state schools provide. UNC and the politicians are going to watch out for their own. They know NC St will find a landing spot if not extended an invite by the SEC but Duke is not guaranteed a spot. Duke/UNC combo to the SEC is something they may do because UNC is such a fruitful get for the conference. Duke also gives Vandy another private school to compete against on the gridiron. It also gives the SEC 3 of the 6 bluebloods in college basketball. I think this is the only scenario where the SEC would add 2 teams from the same state at the same time.

"UNC and the politicians are going to watch out for their own".

I'd be interested in the % of NC politicians that consider Duke "their own". I think it's a lower figure than you think. On the other hand, I do think a large % considers NC STATE one of their own....

Reaction Score
The SEC about to get paid.

Nothing about conference realignment, but hopefully, the numbers dictate that the SEC poach a school in Virginia or North Carolina to maximize the payday.

I would like to point out that outside rengotiating their existing deals to include Missouri and Texas A&M (unclear how much, if any, this would bump the per team distribution), the article allows for a whopping additional $1.5 million per team due to the SEC network (which it assumes wouold be 100% SEC owned when it almost certainly will not be). The rest of the money the SEC already gets (although the new football championship money will not start til after next year).

A better title would be, the SEC already makes a lot of money, and might make a little more (although the facts assumed in this article are likely not correct).

The article is not really stating anything new. The SEC Tier 1 and 2 deals have been in place for years. The new football playoff money is technically new, but all the big confrences are getting that (with the Big 12 likely getting the most per school since they only have 10 to split it up with). There will be some money from the bowls, but they already get that too. And every big conference is getting these big bumps. So the only thing completely unique to the SEC is the network. Which, again, is $1.5 million per school. And that projection is based off of incorrect facts. I guess they can afford that extra ivory back-scratcher.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom