SEC schools are about to become much richer. | The Boneyard

SEC schools are about to become much richer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
The SEC about to get paid.

Nothing about conference realignment, but hopefully, the numbers dictate that the SEC poach a school in Virginia or North Carolina to maximize the payday.

Reaction Score
That article reminds me of that song by Junior Mafia. " Go bitches, get money, Go bitches, get money".

Can we join the SEC? please??????

Reaction Score
They'll take UNC and VT, but I really think they'll try to lure UT and OU (they would just need PAC12 promise to take care of respective stepkids, TT and OSU).

Reaction Score
They'll take UNC and VT, but I really think they'll try to lure UT and OU (they would just need PAC12 promise to take care of respective stepkids, TT and OSU).

University of Virginia and University of North Carolina have difficult decisions coming. Do they want to join a Northern conference (Big 10) or a Southern conference (SEC)? I think both would lean towards the SEC over the Big 10. I think UNC can live with a conference basketball tournament in Atlanta.

I don't think the SEC will target Texas and Oklahoma, but I could see the SEC targeting Texas and North Carolina and the Pac 12 taking Oklahoma, Oklahoma St., Texas Tech, and Kansas.

RS9999X

There's no Dark Side .....it's all Dark.
Reaction Score
The SEC about to get paid.

Nothing about conference realignment, but hopefully, the numbers dictate that the SEC poach a school in Virginia or North Carolina to maximize the payday.

There are many ways that could get played with ESPN and an SEC network and re-opening a contract.

Sent from my Lumia 920 via Windows 8. Now bite me Apple Droids.

Reaction Score
Been saying it all along, VT and NC ST will be in the acc by 2015

Reaction Score
Stop with the idiocy this is never going to happen

What's idiotic about growing to 16? I'm just going by what I've read, scheduling doesn't make sense at 14, conferences that want their own network want more viewers. And remember you're not also disagreeing with me, but also with Fishy who started the thread. If the SEC is going to grow, just who do you think they'll go after?A CUSA team?

Dummy.

Reaction Score
Saw this coming for a while. Everyone was clamoring about how the B1G was going to take over and get anyone they wanted cause of money. I knew with the SEC having a new contract and network on the horizon it would put them very close money wise to the B1G and that would complicate the expansion scene.

As I said in the other thread IMO zero chance UNC goes to B1G. They will go SEC if the ACC goes down in flames. Unlike most I think Duke will be their partner. I know people claim the SEC said they dont want to double up in states but they already are doubled up in Tennessee, Bama, Mississippi (all states with less population than NC and florida) and had previously thought about doubling up in Florida by adding FSU in the early 90s.

Duke is a private school who doesnt have the growth potential larger state schools provide. UNC and the politicians are going to watch out for their own. They know NC St will find a landing spot if not extended an invite by the SEC but Duke is not guaranteed a spot. Duke/UNC combo to the SEC is something they may do because UNC is such a fruitful get for the conference. Duke also gives Vandy another private school to compete against on the gridiron. It also gives the SEC 3 of the 6 bluebloods in college basketball. I think this is the only scenario where the SEC would add 2 teams from the same state at the same time.

Reaction Score
Saw this coming for a while. Everyone was clamoring about how the B1G was going to take over and get anyone they wanted cause of money. I knew with the SEC having a new contract and network on the horizon it would put them very close money wise to the B1G and that would complicate the expansion scene.

As I said in the other thread IMO zero chance UNC goes to B1G. They will go SEC if the ACC goes down in flames. Unlike most I think Duke will be their partner. I know people claim the SEC said they dont want to double up in states but they already are doubled up in Tennessee, Bama, Mississippi (all states with less population than NC and florida) and had previously thought about doubling up in Florida by adding FSU in the early 90s.

Duke is a private school who doesnt have the growth potential larger state schools provide. UNC and the politicians are going to watch out for their own. They know NC St will find a landing spot if not extended an invite by the SEC but Duke is not guaranteed a spot. Duke/UNC combo to the SEC is something they may do because UNC is such a fruitful get for the conference. Duke also gives Vandy another private school to compete against on the gridiron. It also gives the SEC 3 of the 6 bluebloods in college basketball. I think this is the only scenario where the SEC would add 2 teams from the same state at the same time.

Duke would never jump to the SEC, they thumb their noses to the SEC's academic standing. I disagree with you regarding doubling up, this new expansion is going to be about new markets, not existing markets. It's about adding more cable subscribers and you can't do that with Clemson, Georgia Tech or Fl St.

IMO it will happen and it will be VT and NC St, two schools that would fit very well in the SEC. I don't think the big 10 goes after GT, I think it will be UVA, and UNC or even Uconn. The SEC will not stay at 14.

Reaction Score
Duke would never jump to the SEC, they thumb their noses to the SEC's academic standing. I disagree with you regarding doubling up, this new expansion is going to be about new markets, not existing markets. It's about adding more cable subscribers and you can't do that with Clemson, Georgia Tech or Fl St.

IMO it will happen and it will be VT and NC St, two schools that would fit very well in the SEC. I don't think the big 10 goes after GT, I think it will be UVA, and UNC or even Uconn. The SEC will not stay at 14.

UNC wants nothing to do with the B1G. They consider themselves the jewel of all Southern state universities. Their first choice is to see the ACC survive but that probably isnt going to happen. SEC is their 2nd choice.

Academics are great and all but sports drive the money and UNC/duke academics arent going to take a hit by joining the SEC. Vandy, Texas A&M, Missouri and Florida are all AAU schools. Add UNC and Duke and that makes 6 out of the 16 AAU universities. The ACC, as of right now, only has 6 if you include Maryland.

Then athletically wise UNC would lose out on recruits going ot the B1G. Maryland had a lot of journalist around the area figure out if MD to the B1G would affect recruiting. Torrey Smith said 100% he would not have gone to Maryland if they were in the B1G and he woudl have went ot Vatech instead. A lot of top southern recruits feel the same way. They dont want to play in the cold weather and want to stay in the south where the weather is warm.

Culturally wise UNC wants nothing to do with B1G schools. They are not southerners and have none of the same traditions or culture. The SEC does give UNC all of what they are looking for.

Duke is an exception ot the unverified rule of doubling up in states. Also why would the SEC, premier sports conference, want to add the 3rd fiddle in NC. North Carolina and Nova are the most sought after territories after Texas. SEC is not going to be able to lure UT since little bro and then Oklahoma and Ok St are all connected.

If adding UNC means you must add Duke... any conference would enter that deal. Duke adds a lot to any conference outside of football. It would be worth it.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
If I am correct, Vanderbilt was behind the creation of the SEC. They deserve every penny they get.

And the Clippers are the best team in the NBA.

Reaction Score
Don't you think ESPN would pull every string it could to keep UNC and Duke in the ACC. I mean, isn't that 90% of their college basketball coverage right there?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom