SEC Preseason Media Picks | Page 3 | The Boneyard

SEC Preseason Media Picks

SimpleDawg

Dan Mullen, Dak Prescott, and Vic Schaefer fan
Reaction Score
@SCspur - There wasn't any offense taken, but as an objective discussion, I don't think you can leave Danberry off of the list of offensive contributors at MSU and the SEC if you're going to include Harrigan and Harris as part of the conversation. Danberry averaged more points than Harrigan and Harris (13.1 vs 10.9 and 10.4). Shot 48% - that's way better than Harris' and a little bit better than Harrigan's. Her 65 steals are above Harris' and way above Harrigan's.

Though she has a nonexistent 3 point shooting percentage and her free throw shooting is way below both, but those aside, an average person could deduce Danberry is indeed a stronger offensive contributor than anyone returning we're seeing on the stat sheets from SC of last year.

Harrigan and Harris' stats are closer to Bibby's if you ask me. Though Harris' assists are off the charts and neither Bibby or Danberry could compare to her assists.

Last edited:

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
I don’t think @Gamecockfan77 said anything malicious or hurtful that led to that statement. The way Vic ran the ball through Jackson in Italy clearly shows that she will be their go to from day 1. I think Danberry is very good but without the help she had last year I don’t see her as a big time scorer or State’s go to player. She needs improve big time on her shooting from range. I can see atleast 2-3 players on SC this year that could have a better year.

Why would Danberry's scoring go down when she's the returning leading scorer? She was excellent at getting in the lane and hitting from midrange and averaged 13ppg.

Also, I don't see her needing to add range on her shot (although it certainly would help) for Mississippi State to be very good. Bibby/Scott/AEH all shot around 40% from 3 a year ago, plus Rickea Jackson can crank from deep too.

Reaction Score
Why would Danberry's scoring go down when she's the returning leading scorer? She was excellent at getting in the lane and hitting from midrange and averaged 13ppg.

Also, I don't see her needing to add range on her shot (although it certainly would help) for Mississippi State to be very good. Bibby/Scott/AEH all shot around 40% from 3 a year ago, plus Rickea Jackson can crank from deep too.

I don’t think it will go down at all I just don’t think she will be the leading scorer or a big time scorer. I’m almost 100% sure she came back to raise her WNBA stock and if that’s true she will definitely need to improve that area of her game no matter how many shooters she can defer to. Danberry got a lot of looks because of the attention Howard and McCowan garnered. I’m interested to see if she can step into that go role for her team.

Reaction Score
@SCspur - There wasn't any offense taken, but as an objective discussion, I don't think you can leave Danberry off of the list of offensive contributors at MSU and the SEC if you're going to include Harrigan and Harris as part of the conversation. Danberry averaged more points than Harrigan and Harris (13.1 vs 10.9 and 10.4). Shot 48% - that's way better than Harris' and a little bit better than Harrigan's. Her 65 steals are above Harris' and way above Harrigan's.

Though she has a nonexistent 3 point shooting percentage and her free throw shooting is way below both, but those aside, an average person could deduce Danberry is indeed a stronger offensive contributor than anyone returning we're seeing on the stat sheets from SC of last year.

Harrigan and Harris' stats are closer to Bibby's if you ask me. Though Harris' assists are off the charts and neither Bibby or Danberry could compare to her assists.

Well it wasn’t I who said Miss St won’t have as many weapons. I do think Danberry is good and will be a big contributor and last season stats do add facts but she did play Alongside the second best front court in the country last year which made her job much easier. IMO teams will force her to shoot more from range than she’s used to. If she adjusts she could be one of the best in the SEC, if not I think Vic will defer to his younger players. I do think your statement is a bit premature, while Danberry had a better scoring average last year that doesn’t necessarily mean she will be better this year. A player that will turn everyone’s head this year is Destanni Henderson. Remember I said this, she’s going to make a lot of noise this year.

I will say Herbert Harrigan can be the best overall player in the SEC. She is the leading returning shot blocker and has the highest midrange percentage of any retuning bigs. The sky is definitely the limit for her.

Last edited:

bballnut90

Reaction Score
I don’t think it will go down at all I just don’t think she will be the leading scorer or a big time scorer. I’m almost 100% sure she came back to raise her WNBA stock and if that’s true she will definitely need to improve that area of her game no matter how many shooters she can defer to. Danberry got a lot of looks because of the attention Howard and McCowan garnered. I’m interested to see if she can step into that go role for her team.

What constitutes a "big time scorer?" 13.1 is pretty big time for a third option, especially since she had Howard/McCowan ahead of her like you said. That's more PPG than several of the preseason All-SEC players, including both Harris and Herbert-Herrigan.

And I don't think Danberry has her sights on the WNBA, but I could be wrong. She was a top notch student in undergrad and is coming back to get her MBA per her MSU profile.

I like Danberry a lot but don't think she has WNBA potential with her size and skill set. 5-8 shooting guard without a 3pt shot doesn't sound like WNBA material to me, although we'll see what happens.

bballnut90

Reaction Score
Well it wasn’t I who said Miss St won’t have as many weapons. I do think Danberry is good and will be a big contributor and last season stats do add facts but she did play Alongside the second best front court in the country last year which made her job much easier. IMO teams will force her to shoot more from range than she’s used to. If she adjusts she could be one of the best in the SEC, if not I think Vic will defer to his younger players.

I will say Herbert Harrigan can be the best overall player in the SEC. She is the leading returning shot blocker and has the highest midrange percentage of any retuning bigs. The sky is definitely the limit for her.

MHH is good but that's definitely a big leap. She has good range and shot blocking skills but is far from being the best overall player in the SEC. Definitely suggest you watch more of Rhyne Howard, Chelsea Dungee, Rennia Davis or Chennedy Carter before saying something like that.

Reaction Score
If Danberry plays PG for Mississippi State, she’ll be near the top of the league for assists per game as well. She averaged 3.5 APG in a role where she was mostly asked to score and Holmes was asked to facilitate, and was second in APG at 5.6, behind Taja Cole’s 7.0 APG.

I believe Vic wants her playing both PG and SG, so I think we’ll see her in both roles. She gives Vic a guard he knows can hang with Chennedy Carter and Ty Harris.

She was working a full time job, so I don’t believe her return had much to do with raising her WNBA stock.

Reaction Score
What constitutes a "big time scorer?" 13.1 is pretty big time for a third option, especially since she had Howard/McCowan ahead of her like you said. That's more PPG than several of the preseason All-SEC players, including both Harris and Herbert-Herrigan.

And I don't think Danberry has her sights on the WNBA, but I could be wrong. She was a top notch student in undergrad and is coming back to get her MBA per her MSU profile.

I like Danberry a lot but don't think she has WNBA potential with her size and skill set. 5-8 shooting guard without a 3pt shot doesn't sound like WNBA material to me, although we'll see what happens.

In his preseason presser Vic stated Danberry has WNBA potential and he would make sure she works hard this season to achieve that. I would guess he’s told her to expand to have that dream realized.

She has to take on the scoring load like McCowan and Howe’s did last year. Is she capable? Yes but I don’t think her scoring will rise as much with her being the target of other opponents. That’s just my opinion.

Reaction Score
MHH is good but that's definitely a big leap. She has good range and shot blocking skills but is far from being the best overall player in the SEC. Definitely suggest you watch more of Rhyne Howard, Chelsea Dungee, Rennia Davis or Chennedy Carter before saying something like that.

Rhyne Howard would probably be my pick for best overall player and Carter can be in the conversation as well. Davis is a good rebounder but she still isn’t assertive enough and Dungee is mainly a scorer. This may be my biased eye but MHH definitely has potential to be in that conversation with these players. She just has yet to put together a full strong season. She averaged 17 ppg and 2.9 bpg in the tournament last season and if she can keep a steady production like that I think she will be a force.

Reaction Score
I understand your analysis. However I would say instead of J Danberry that C Bibby and A Espinoza-Hunter were more of the beneficiaries of T McCowan and to a lesser extent A Howard. J Danberry is incredibly quick and strong with an uncanny ability to get to a spot for a shot or layup. Her biggest issue is obviously her lack of range. Any consistent shot was barely out to the free throw line. She also wasn’t the best free throw shooter last season.
J Danberry’s role is part of a bigger question mark for MSU. Coach Schaefer was obviously looking for options at point with grad transfers (M Moore) and transfers (C Patterson) the previous season. In short, it’s obvious he has concerns whether M Taylor is ready for the full time point role. J Danberry’s best role would be working holes in the defense for a driving layup or on some type of back door pass. She can also get a fair amount of points off steals. If there is another player capable of running point then J Danberry could be an extremely dangerous scorer capable of averaging in the upper teens. However she may have to be more a primary ball handler and initiate the offensive sets.

SimpleDawg

Reaction Score
Well it wasn’t I who said Miss St won’t have as many weapons. I do think Danberry is good and will be a big contributor and last season stats do add facts but she did play Alongside the second best front court in the country last year which made her job much easier. IMO teams will force her to shoot more from range than she’s used to. If she adjusts she could be one of the best in the SEC, if not I think Vic will defer to his younger players. I do think your statement is a bit premature, while Danberry had a better scoring average last year that doesn’t necessarily mean she will be better this year. A player that will turn everyone’s head this year is Destanni Henderson. Remember I said this, she’s going to make a lot of noise this year.

Well, I think Henderson is speculation at best right now. Sure, a high recruit could freshman-sophomore leap any time, but she didn't stand out last year against MSU to me. (Though not a lot of minutes for sure) Not that I'm counting her out, but just you don't hear MSU fans bank on Myah Taylor for the same reason.

I don't think Danberry will necessarily be "better," but I think she'll have roughly the same production as last year. And I think it's also because I think she'll get more touches. Last year McCowan and Howard took it upon themselves to make plays often. Danberry..... did too and she was only 3rd option. Jackson is the only other player on our roster that I think will take it upon herself to create offense which is why Danberry has an even better chance of being better - not that she will be better just stating one reason is because of possibly more touches.

I also think Tysha Harris despite averaging more minutes than Danberry on a team without an alpha and average less points makes me think Danberry will have a better year than Harris next year. Even though Harris is definitely an assists machine.

I agree Harrigan can definitely be first team all-SEC, but yes I agree with bballnut that Dungee and Carter seem to average great numbers even with an incessant amount of minutes and shots. We'll see what happens when Harrigan gets 30 minutes per game, as I think that's what we need her to have in order to see how good she truly is. I'm a huge fan of Harrigan, btw and yes I see those blocked shots stats which are very good - but she doesn't take many 3s either. Only 20 more attempts than Danberry.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Yea, I think so too, but if she wants any chance of getting and staying in the league she need a consistent jump shot. The ONLY player that has gotten away with that is Alyssa Thomas

bballnut90

Reaction Score
Rhyne Howard would probably be my pick for best overall player and Carter can be in the conversation as well. Davis is a good rebounder but she still isn’t assertive enough and Dungee is mainly a scorer. This may be my biased eye but MHH definitely has potential to be in that conversation with these players. She just has yet to put together a full strong season. She averaged 17 ppg and 2.9 bpg in the tournament last season and if she can keep a steady production like that I think she will be a force.

She definitely finished the year strong--I'll give you that. For the time being though, I don't think she belongs in the same conversation with those players. Especially if you're finding flaws with Rennia Davis and Chelsea Dungee who were far and away better contributors than MHH was a year ago.

Reaction Score
If Danberry plays PG for Mississippi State, she’ll be near the top of the league for assists per game as well. She averaged 3.5 APG in a role where she was mostly asked to score and Holmes was asked to facilitate, and was second in APG at 5.6, behind Taja Cole’s 7.0 APG.

I believe Vic wants her playing both PG and SG, so I think we’ll see her in both roles. She gives Vic a guard he knows can hang with Chennedy Carter and Ty Harris.

She was working a full time job, so I don’t believe her return had much to do with raising her WNBA stock.
She could average a lot of assists but she has a lot of areas that need to improve or she has to at least pay more attention for her to effectively fill the point position.
She had 125 assists last season but also 85 turnovers, 11 more than the next player and over 30 more than the one after that.
She only shot 63% from the free throw line. She took the third most attempts behind only T McCowan and A Howard.
Finally, she only took 5 three point shots and missed all 5.
She has elite speed and athleticism and good strength. To be a point she is going to have to almost be a completely different player. That is a lot to ask from a player in only one preseason. I’ll be interested to see how it all unfolds.

Reaction Score
She definitely finished the year strong--I'll give you that. For the time being though, I don't think she belongs in the same conversation with those players. Especially if you're finding flaws with Rennia Davis and Chelsea Dungee who were far and away better contributors than MHH was a year ago.
Agreed. For me it’s the eye test. MHH doesn’t have the talent that equates to those players imho. Whether she commits to consistently working hard or not she is not as equally talented as the top players in the SEC.

Reaction Score
I understand your analysis. However I would say instead of J Danberry that C Bibby and A Espinoza-Hunter were more of the beneficiaries of T McCowan and to a lesser extent A Howard. J Danberry is incredibly quick and strong with an uncanny ability to get to a spot for a shot or layup. Her biggest issue is obviously her lack of range. Any consistent shot was barely out to the free throw line. She also wasn’t the best free throw shooter last season.
J Danberry’s role is part of a bigger question mark for MSU. Coach Schaefer was obviously looking for options at point with grad transfers (M Moore) and transfers (C Patterson) the previous season. In short, it’s obvious he has concerns whether M Taylor is ready for the full time point role. J Danberry’s best role would be working holes in the defense for a driving layup or on some type of back door pass. She can also get a fair amount of points off steals. If there is another player capable of running point then J Danberry could be an extremely dangerous scorer capable of averaging in the upper teens. However she may have to be more a primary ball handler and initiate the offensive sets.

Totally agree with this. Based on the games I watched last season (especially Oregon) she got some good weak side looks because of the double and triple teams McCowan sometimes received. I do look for Jordan to have a great year for y’all though!

SimpleDawg

Reaction Score
She could average a lot of assists but she has a lot of areas that need to improve or she has to at least pay more attention for her to effectively fill the point position.
She had 125 assists last season but also 85 turnovers, 11 more than the next player and over 30 more than the one after that.
She only shot 63% from the free throw line. She took the third most attempts behind only T McCowan and A Howard.
Finally, she only took 5 three point shots and missed all 5.
She has elite speed and athleticism and good strength. To be a point she is going to have to almost be a completely different player. That is a lot to ask from a player in only one preseason. I’ll be interested to see how it all unfolds.

I agree with you, militarydog - I don't think Danberry can play point guard either. She should not bring the ball up the court - we don't have enough sample size to know how she'll look if she has that extra task added to her.

Also, I think it's best she gets the ball from somewhere closer to the basket than where a point guard typically starts to initiate the play......which is closer to midcourt than the 3-point line. She shouldn't create the play from midcourt, she should create it from closer to the arch... less time for a defender to bring a body over, or adjust.

Michael Jordan was so much better because he was always getting the ball from Dennis Rodman's rebounds and winning loose balls. Defenses didn't have enough time to adjust to Jordan making his first move which resulted in a lot of points. I think Danberry benefits for the same reason, that she should get the ball a lot from Taylor so defenses don't have enough time to adjust. Give Danberry half a second to observe the defense not quite ready yet and it's an easy layup.

Danberry should definitely be 2 guard, imo. Regardless of how much of a better player than Taylor she is. Also, I should point out Taylor had only 9 turnovers in conference play. She had 3 times as many during nonconference play.... 27. Sure, she might've gotten a little bit less minutes by conference play, but I truly think it's a product of her improving in that aspect rather than minutes reflecting her stats. I think Myah is ready. She won't be perfect, but I don't think she'll look egregious most of the year. At worst just non damaging. However, if she reverts back to Taylor at the beginning of last year, we don't really have a lot of other options. But I saw in the Texas A&M game, and those Napoli games that she even outplayed Holmes. She was asked to do a lot against A&M too, so yeah.... I'd say I'm ready for her to be our starting point guard. I'm actually glad Minyon Moore decided to go to Oregon because this lack of Myah Taylor has been a deprivation for MSU fans for the last 2 years now.

Reaction Score
I agree with you, militarydog - I don't think Danberry can play point guard either. She should not bring the ball up the court - we don't have enough sample size to know how she'll look if she has that extra task added to her.

Also, I think it's best she gets the ball from somewhere closer to the basket than where a point guard typically starts to initiate the play.which is closer to midcourt than the 3-point line. She shouldn't create the play from midcourt, she should create it from closer to the arch... less time for a defender to bring a body over, or adjust.

Michael Jordan was so much better because he was always getting the ball from Dennis Rodman's rebounds and winning loose balls. Defenses didn't have enough time to adjust to Jordan making his first move which resulted in a lot of points. I think Danberry benefits for the same reason, that she should get the ball a lot from Taylor so defenses don't have enough time to adjust. Give Danberry half a second to observe the defense not quite ready yet and it's an easy layup.

Danberry should definitely be 2 guard, imo. Regardless of how much of a better player than Taylor she is. Also, I should point out Taylor had only 9 turnovers in conference play. She had 3 times as many during nonconference play.... 27. Sure, she might've gotten a little bit less minutes by conference play, but I truly think it's a product of her improving in that aspect rather than minutes reflecting her stats. I think Myah is ready. She won't be perfect, but I don't think she'll look egregious most of the year. At worst just non damaging. However, if she reverts back to Taylor at the beginning of last year, we don't really have a lot of other options. But I saw in the Texas A&M game, and those Napoli games that she even outplayed Holmes. She was asked to do a lot against A&M too, so yeah.... I'd say I'm ready for her to be our starting point guard. I'm actually glad Minyon Moore decided to go to Oregon because this lack of Myah Taylor has been a deprivation for MSU fans for the last 2 years now.

I’m not saying or at least I wasn’t trying to say that I didn’t think J Danberry can be the point. What I attempted to say was that a lot has change for her to effectively play point.

Reaction Score
Well, I think Henderson is speculation at best right now. Sure, a high recruit could freshman-sophomore leap any time, but she didn't stand out last year against MSU to me. (Though not a lot of minutes for sure) Not that I'm counting her out, but just you don't hear MSU fans bank on Myah Taylor for the same reason.

I don't think Danberry will necessarily be "better," but I think she'll have roughly the same production as last year. And I think it's also because I think she'll get more touches. Last year McCowan and Howard took it upon themselves to make plays often. Danberry..... did too and she was only 3rd option. Jackson is the only other player on our roster that I think will take it upon herself to create offense which is why Danberry has an even better chance of being better - not that she will be better just stating one reason is because of possibly more touches.

I also think Tysha Harris despite averaging more minutes than Danberry on a team without an alpha and average less points makes me think Danberry will have a better year than Harris next year. Even though Harris is definitely an assists machine.

I agree Harrigan can definitely be first team all-SEC, but yes I agree with bballnut that Dungee and Carter seem to average great numbers even with an incessant amount of minutes and shots. We'll see what happens when Harrigan gets 30 minutes per game, as I think that's what we need her to have in order to see how good she truly is. I'm a huge fan of Harrigan, btw and yes I see those blocked shots stats which are very good - but she doesn't take many 3s either. Only 20 more attempts than Danberry.

Henderson was SEC all freshman, lead all freshmen in 3P FG % and averaged 16.5 ppg in a crucial 6 game SEC stretch for SC last year. She only played the last 5 minutes in the Miss St. vs SC game last year but she was a reason for the 4th quarter comeback. You will witness her more often this season for sure.

Harris averaged 18.5 PPG and 4.4 APG last season against Miss St so I think you might be selling her short here. Danberry could very well average more points but Harris isn’t inept on the offensive end.

SimpleDawg

Reaction Score
Henderson was SEC all freshman, lead all freshmen in 3P FG % and averaged 16.5 ppg in a crucial 6 game SEC stretch for SC last year. She only played the last 5 minutes in the Miss St. vs SC game last year but she was a reason for the 4th quarter comeback. You will witness her more often this season for sure.

Harris averaged 18.5 PPG and 4.4 APG last season against Miss St so I think you might be selling her short here. Danberry could very well average more points but Harris isn’t inept on the offensive end.

Well, I had no idea she had that streak because I don't watch SC vs Ole Miss or SC vs Florida. But yeah like I said, I just don't think you can call her a key contributor until we see how she responds to her new role. But yes, I agree with you that she's currently on path. Only problem is that she shares a backcourt with Harrigan and Harris - so is she going to make the starting lineup?

And yes, I was well aware Harris always torches MSU. I was gonna say that maybe Holmes is more efficient than Harris but not as dangerous as Ty because of how well she plays against MSU. You always feel like it could've been a different game (in the national championship game too in 2017... though maybe Cuevas-Moore made a bigger difference in that game because William obviously struggled with Cuevas Moore on her) without her in the lineup. But I'm just saying overall I prefer Danberry and think she'll have a better year. Though I certainly wished we saw the Danberry in the postseason that we saw in the regular season.

Reaction Score
Well, I had no idea she had that streak because I don't watch SC vs Ole Miss or SC vs Florida. But yeah like I said, I just don't think you can call her a key contributor until we see how she responds to her new role. But yes, I agree with you that she's currently on path. Only problem is that she shares a backcourt with Harrigan and Harris - so is she going to make the starting lineup?

And yes, I was well aware Harris always torches MSU. I was gonna say that maybe Holmes is more efficient than Harris but not as dangerous as Ty because of how well she plays against MSU. You always feel like it could've been a different game (in the national championship game too in 2017... though maybe Cuevas-Moore made a bigger difference in that game because William obviously struggled with Cuevas Moore on her) without her in the lineup. But I'm just saying overall I prefer Danberry and think she'll have a better year. Though I certainly wished we saw the Danberry in the postseason that we saw in the regular season.

Henderson will likely start with Harris. Herbert Harrigan is a forward.

bballnut90

Reaction Score

Also, I think it's best she gets the ball from somewhere closer to the basket than where a point guard typically starts to initiate the play.which is closer to midcourt than the 3-point line. She shouldn't create the play from midcourt, she should create it from closer to the arch... less time for a defender to bring a body over, or adjust.

I think the A/TO is due to lack of minutes rather than improved play for Taylor rather. She had a good A/TO in conference (16:7) but only played 154 minutes, most of which I'm guessing were in garbage time. Not the best sample size. She also shot 9-35 from the floor (26%) and 3-16 from deep (18.8%). Not sure how much can be read into those numbers. I'm hoping she's a lot better than I'm expecting her to be but we shall see.

Reaction Score
When Henderson got playing time she was great offensively. Then she had that bad day at Kentucky and Staley gave Cliney her minutes. That was so very frustrating to me.

Herbert Harriman is a four, not a guard so that's no playing time issue. Henderson should step into some of BCM's minutes and seems to me she will be more productive with them.

I'm not sure how continuing to compliment Rickea Jackson as one of my two favorite players in the class (Horston being the other) and predicting her as NFOY was an insult, but whatever.

I do not think anyone at Carolina is going to average a ton of points this year. Should be pretty balanced scoring.

bballnut90

Reaction Score

Harris really struggled offensively in almost every other game against a ranked team, so not sure you can read much into 18ppg since it's a 2 game sample size. She is capable offensively but isn't an efficient scorer. Sort of a toss up at this point between her and Danberry for who will be a bigger factor/contributor to their team. Both are going to be immensely important for their experience as much as anything else.

Henderson had a great stretch (where she averaged 12.8ppg over 6 games, not 16.5) but was a non-factor pretty much the rest of the season. Take out that stretch and she averaged just 3.7 ppg last year on 28.8% FG and 31.5% 3pt. I think we'll witness her more this year but she'll need to take a MASSIVE leap in order for her to turn heads like you suggest.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom