SEC and Big Ten announce that they are setting up an advisory committee for college sports … | The Boneyard

SEC and Big Ten announce that they are setting up an advisory committee for college sports …

Reaction Score

-> “The Big Ten and the SEC have substantial investment in the NCAA and there is no question that the voices of our two conferences are integral to governance and other reform efforts,” said Big Ten Commissioner Tony Petitti. “We recognize the similarity in our circumstances, as well as the urgency to address the common challenges we face.”

“There are similar cultural and social impacts on our student-athletes, our institutions, and our communities because of the new collegiate athletics environment,” said SEC Commissioner Greg Sankey. “We do not have predetermined answers to the myriad questions facing us. We do not expect to agree on everything but enhancing interaction between our conferences will help to focus efforts on common sense solutions.” <-

Reaction Score

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I don't know, but it sounds to me like a precursor to coming to the conclusion that the NCAA can't be fixed and thus a separate alliance among the P2 independent of the NCAA is the only answer.

Reaction Score
I bet they talk about how to divide up the ACC during those advisory meetings!
They'll carve it up real nice. Let's, the Big East, ACC, Big 12, set up our own Advisory Committee.

Reaction Score
They'll carve it up real nice. Let's, the Big East, ACC, Big 12, set up our own Advisory Committee.

It would be funny if everyone else got together and went full heel before they break off.

Reaction Score

But wouldn't they also run into the same issues that are affecting college sports? It's not really a NCAA issue but an anti trust issue.

Even if they set up a new governing body, nil, the transfer portal, collectives etc won't stop being an issue because they don't have anti trust protection to keep the lawsuits away.

Reaction Score
But wouldn't they also run into the same issues that are affecting college sports? It's not really a NCAA issue but an anti trust issue.

Even if they set up a new governing body, nil, the transfer portal, collectives etc won't stop being an issue because they don't have anti trust protection to keep the lawsuits away.
My educated guess is they address those issues by deciding to collectively bargain w/ revenue sharing all said and done.

Reaction Score
Let them do what they do. I'd rather watch fix r upper or that red headed woman on the food network than Purdue vs Indiana. They'll find out that since more of us went to college somewhere besides the B1G or SEC that we can find other things to do than watch minor league NFL.

Reaction Score
Heck...we all have our "druthers"...I watch old 1940's movies rather than (fill in the blank).

You can take solace in talk shows..."We've all been damaged. It is not your fault. It is not your fault".

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
There are people that have gone to jail for less than forming an advisory committee. This is a prima facie antitrust violation in a sport that loses every time it goes to court.

Reaction Score
Here an antitrust, there an antitrust, everywhere an antitrust.

Jail time I tell ya ! People are going to serve time !

Or I'm not a Muntz.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score

Or I'm not a Muntz.

NIL says “hello”.

Reaction Score
Maybe the NCAA's attempt to regulate NIL "backwards" (applying retroactive standards where there were none) was part of the Big Ten/SEC motivation to join together on policy.

Reaction Score
Next up...coming after some of that basketball tournament money...

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score

Or I'm not a Muntz.

College sports just lost an antitrust case that has completely transformed college football and basketball, but apparently legal expert Billybud thinks that college sports is all set from here on out.

Reaction Score
College sports just lost an antitrust case that has completely transformed college football and basketball, but apparently legal expert Billybud thinks that college sports is all set from here on out.

Not an antitrust expert...but I have seen enough internet lawyers espouse their "legal" opinion..

Of course antitrust and the Sherman Act have played in...particularly in Alston vs NCAA...so athletes can get paid...do I think that will impact the P2 ? Nope. If anything, it may help the P2 break away from the all controlling NCAA.

I am more interested in the antitrust suit filed against Brown University, California Institute of Technology, the University of Chicago, Columbia University, Cornell University, Dartmouth College, Duke University, Emory University, Georgetown University, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Northwestern University, the University of Notre Dame.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom