SEC 21-22 | Page 6 | The Boneyard

SEC 21-22

Status
Not open for further replies.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
1. South Carolina 2-0

W 66-57 @NC State; W 72-42 vs S. Dakota (N)

2. Georgia 1-0

W 97-45 Gardner Webb

3. Texas A&M

W 87-54 TAMU-CC; 92-32 Southern

4. Mississippi State 3-0

W 91-62 vs Bama St.; W 76-71 vs S. Dakota St.
W 86-63 vs Alcorn St.

The trio of Rickea Jackson, Anastasia Hayes, and Jerkaila Jordan have been potent scorers. Taylor appears to be as steady as ever and you just wonder if Carter would be a seamless fit back in the lineup.

5. Kentucky 2-1

W 81-53 vs Presbyterrean; W 98-56 N. Alabama
L 67-88 vs Indiana

I'm obligated to let Rhyne Howard break ties in rankings, but I'll tell you I do not believe in this team much. Indiana however is a Top 10 squad so holding here for now.

6. Tennessee 2-0

W 59-49 vs So Illinois; W 49-41 @ UCF

I understand that one game was without Jordan Horston and the other was without Rae Burrell but the offense is a bit of a crime. I honestly like Arkansas better because that team is fun to watch and Tennessee is largely the opposite, but no losses and post defense have them holding here.

7. Arkansas 2-1

W 85-33 Tarleton St; W 96-53 Arky Pine Bark;
L 80-95 @ UCONN

Haven't seen them, thanks SNY, but they seem to be doing Arky things, God Bless them. Goforth is having a major contribution, and as I thought after Team USA duties this summer Wolfenbarger may take a bit.

8 Missouri 2-0

W 76-70 vs Murray State; 73-49 vs Morgan State

All by its lonesome with a clean slate, second division, is Missouri. If you're an M-word State, watch out. I have long liked individual pieces on this roster but it remains to be seen if this program can do much without the pony.

9. LSU 1-1 (I guess?)

W 82-40 score Nicholls; L 74-88 Florida Gulf Coast

In fairness, FGCU is a really good program that returns everyone and I put them in my top 25. But this wasn't a close game that slipped away late. The Mulkey era began with a Pointer triple double, but this is a reminder that there is much work to be done. Good news: there are a lot of bad SEC teams.

10. Ole Miss 1-1

L 50-62 Belmont; W 94-44; Miss Valley St

This is probably the last interesting team as a shrug emoji works as well as a number ranking for the rest. Ole Miss has talent on its roster. Belmont isn't bad, but really? I remain unsold on this regime, but keep an eye on them anyway.

11. Alabama 1-1

W 109-32 vs Charleston So.; L 66-69 vs Tulane

Last season may be the peak for Bama. What to do with that info?

12. Florida 1-2

W 84-70 vs Georgia St; L 70-87 vs Towson;
L 52-85 vs NC State

Starting over.

13. Vandy 1-1

W 75-59 vs Gardner Webb;
L 40-56 vs Little Rock

Welcome back Vandy, it's been awhile and Auburn has moved into your room in the basement while you were away. You may have to fight them to get it back, but you've got the living room foldout for now. Shea Ralph got her first win (the SEC would like to especially thank Gardner Webb for its impeccable work this week) but not a lot to work with here.

14. Auburn 0-2

L 66-68 vs Ga Southern; L 44-57 vs Old Dominion

Shrug emoji?
FWIW I do think Arkansas acquitted themselves well in the UConn game. Fell behind 17-2 (I think) to start the game and then basically played even the rest of the way. Perhaps no other SEC team had more question marks after losing Dungee, Slocum and Thomas, but Goforth and their freshmen played very well overall.

Weirdly I think they seem to have more depth and they might gain something by being less dependent on Dungee. I don't think they'll threaten South Carolina in the slightest, but they'll be in the mix of it with these other teams. (And for their sake hopefully they can fix that syndrome where they seemed to never play well on the road.)

I watched the Kentucky-Indiana replay last night, and I don't want to take anything away from Indiana, who played a tough, smart game at a high level of intensity but yet very controlled. Kentucky competed well in the first half, but foul trouble took a huge toll in the 2nd half, and I think they had only 8 players available. A lot of that was just a failure to play smart when you know you're in foul trouble and can't afford to pick up more fouls.

Side note: Kentucky freshman Jada Walker was extremely impressive, difficult to contain on the drive but can also pull up. Competes hard, very confident for a freshman. Scored 16 points on 7-13 FG. I'm calling all-SEC freshman team pick right there.

Second side note: I missed the memo that Gail Goestenkors (who last year was at Central Michigan) is now a Kentucky assistant. Gotta think that's a great hire. Kentucky in the past few years seems like they've played better in November than in March, and I suspect a lot of that is coaching. Kentucky has great pieces, but can the coaches help them grow as a cohesive team over the season?

Reaction Score
FWIW I do think Arkansas acquitted themselves well in the UConn game. Fell behind 17-2 (I think) to start the game and then basically played even the rest of the way. Perhaps no other SEC team had more question marks after losing Dungee, Slocum and Thomas, but Goforth and their freshmen played very well overall.

Weirdly I think they seem to have more depth and they might gain something by being less dependent on Dungee. I don't think they'll threaten South Carolina in the slightest, but they'll be in the mix of it with these other teams. (And for their sake hopefully they can fix that syndrome where they seemed to never play well on the road.)

I watched the Kentucky-Indiana replay last night, and I don't want to take anything away from Indiana, who played a tough, smart game at a high level of intensity but yet very controlled. Kentucky competed well in the first half, but foul trouble took a huge toll in the 2nd half, and I think they had only 8 players available. A lot of that was just a failure to play smart when you know you're in foul trouble and can't afford to pick up more fouls.

Side note: Kentucky freshman Jada Walker was extremely impressive, difficult to contain on the drive but can also pull up. Competes hard, very confident for a freshman. Scored 16 points on 7-13 FG. I'm calling all-SEC freshman team pick right there.

Second side note: I missed the memo that Gail Goestenkors (who last year was at Central Michigan) is now a Kentucky assistant. Gotta think that's a great hire. Kentucky in the past few years seems like they've played better in November than in March, and I suspect a lot of that is coaching. Kentucky has great pieces, but can the coaches help them grow as a cohesive team over the season?

I don't think this is a weird thought at all. I think it's better for the team overall. With this being Ramirez's final season (I think), other players will need to be ready to take over next season.

Reaction Score
Mississippi State beat up on Bethune Cookman 94-53 tonight as they should. So far Coach Novak is passing the eye test. The team is playing hard and handily beating teams they should beat. On its face South Dakota State was a tossup game at best and I expected a loss. However Coach Novak made some great adjustments, especially on defense.

In fairness to Coach McCray-Penson, she brought in some very talented and hard nosed players and Coach Novak is the beneficiary. MSU has some major deficiencies in size but they play hard. Again though they are incredibly small, not just in the post and front court but also with the guards. It is going to be difficult for them to get off shots against the bigger and longer SEC guards.

By the mid point of the SEC schedule there should be a good idea whether he is the guy. If he over performs he is going to have options after the season.

Reaction Score
Mississippi State beat up on Bethune Cookman 94-53 tonight as they should. So far Coach Novak is passing the eye test. The team is playing hard and handily beating teams they should beat. On its face South Dakota State was a tossup game at best and I expected a loss. However Coach Novak made some great adjustments, especially on defense.

In fairness to Coach McCray-Penson, she brought in some very talented and hard nosed players and Coach Novak is the beneficiary. MSU has some major deficiencies in size but they play hard. Again though they are incredibly small, not just in the post and front court but also with the guards. It is going to be difficult for them to get off shots against the bigger and longer SEC guards.

By the mid point of the SEC schedule there should be a good idea whether he is the guy. If he over performs he is going to have options after the season.
Really like Coach Novak but am concerned with the lack of size. We are small in stature but these girls appear to be large in teamwork. I think we learned a lot our next two games, hopeful but worried.

Reaction Score
Really like Coach Novak but am concerned with the lack of size. We are small in stature but these girls appear to be large in teamwork. I think we learned a lot our next two games, hopeful but worried.
Any word on if Jessika Carter is coming back, or is she not coming back at all this season?

MSST has the potential to have a really good starting five if Carter comes back in shape and doesn't mess up chemistry. You all must be pleased with how good JerKaila Jordan has turned out.

Reaction Score
Any word on if Jessika Carter is coming back, or is she not coming back at all this season?

MSST has the potential to have a really good starting five if Carter comes back in shape and doesn't mess up chemistry. You all must be pleased with how good JerKaila Jordan has turned out.
Coach Novak said she was a member of the team but I have heard nothing about when she may return. Mil, any status on Jessica that you can share?

Reaction Score

She still has to go through the legal system then the student disciplinary committee. It is still in a holding pattern but a lot of time is starting pass.

Reaction Score

Further, at some point the uncertainty starts becoming a major distraction. J Carter is very talented and has great size. I’d like to see how she responds to Coach Novak’s system. He has done a great job so far with R Fairley. However J Carter won’t be in game shape and depending on when she might return it could really hurt chemistry.

Reaction Score
I thought Jordan was as interesting a transfer as the Hayes sisters. It's a shame they haven't had Carter.

SimpleDawg

Dan Mullen, Dak Prescott, and Vic Schaefer fan
Reaction Score
Carter is gone. She's not coming back. Let it go. In a just world, I'll trade Carter for Vic, but I know that's not gonna happen.

Reaction Score
Carter is gone. She's not coming back. Let it go. In a just world, I'll trade Carter for Vic, but I know that's not gonna happen.
I fear you may be correct. I also am a Vic fan but I know he is past history for us. I am majorly surprised in what Coach Novak has done with this team. We are getting out rebounded but our smaller lineup has been competitive rebound wise and they are both quick and fast. I really like the style of play, these players deserve fan support. I have watched all our games to date, the stands are not nearly full but support has definitely improved. I suspect we will lose some games as we face better teams just hope the team continues to give us the effort!

Reaction Score
T
Too bad she couldn't control her temper. MSST had a chance to be really good if she was playing, and she probably torpedoed any chance of having a WNBA career. Hopefully she learns from this.

Reaction Score
I have been unable to find a television station carrying the Dayton game. I have YouTube TV and ESPN+ but can not find any TV coverage for the game. Anybody aware of a streaming service carrying the game?

Reaction Score
I have been unable to find a television station carrying the Dayton game. I have YouTube TV and ESPN+ but can not find any TV coverage for the game. Anybody aware of a streaming service carrying the game?
You're going to need a FloHoops subscription for it. Majority of these holiday tournament are being streamed through them.

Reaction Score
You're going to need a FloHoops subscription for it. Majority of these holiday tournament are being streamed through them.
Just following the score on ESPN. MSST 38-32 last I saw.

Reaction Score
Just following the score on ESPN. MSST 38-32 last I saw.
Final score, 65-54 MSST. First away win, not sure how good the Dayton team is but good win for State!

Reaction Score
Mississippi State continues to play steady. Coach Novak has done a good job using three posts. The last couple of games he has started R Fairly then brought in D Carter. They then rotate the rest of the half. He will use C Kohl some in the second half when the opponents are a little more winded.
The two players with the most minutes are M Taylor and R Jackson. Both average around 33 minutes. Anastasia Hayes is close to that too. The type of game played by M Taylor isn’t as big a deal but he needs to find more time to rest the others.

Reaction Score
Mississippi State continues to play steady. Coach Novak has done a good job using three posts. The last couple of games he has started R Fairly then brought in D Carter. They then rotate the rest of the half. He will use C Kohl some in the second half when the opponents are a little more winded.
The two players with the most minutes are M Taylor and R Jackson. Both average around 33 minutes. Anastasia Hayes is close to that too. The type of game played by M Taylor isn’t as big a deal but he needs to find more time to rest the others.
Mil, I believe the Michigan game will tell us a lot about this team. If we can hang with them I think we will be fine especially if and when J Carter joins the team. I am getting pumped and having sweet memories of our glory days. The girls are playing more like the 2017 players, they really appear to enjoy the game!

Reaction Score
Mil, I believe the Michigan game will tell us a lot about this team. If we can hang with them I think we will be fine especially if and when J Carter joins the team. I am getting pumped and having sweet memories of our glory days. The girls are playing more like the 2017 players, they really appear to enjoy the game!
Michigan plays their first game tomorrow at 5:45 pm against #16 Oregon State. MSU gets to watch their game and get a day’s rest before playing them. That should help.
They do seem to be having more fun this season. I’ve enjoyed the games to date. The biggest positive is they seem very mentally strong. They were down eight at half to South Dakota State and came back to win. They went on a run to get a ten point lead on Dayton then weathered a couple of runs. They are very physical and have really taken teams away from their strengths. However MSU still has a long SEC season ahead. As I stated in an earlier post MSU is small across the board.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Final score, 65-54 MSST. First away win, not sure how good the Dayton team is but good win for State!

Dayton was the preseason favorite to win the A-10... veteran squad... good solid win.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Dayton was the preseason favorite to win the A-10... veteran squad... good solid win.
Yeah but they lost badly to Duke. Looks like they were overrated. :D

Reaction Score
Michigan plays their first game tomorrow at 5:45 pm against #16 Oregon State. MSU gets to watch their game and get a day’s rest before playing them. That should help.
They do seem to be having more fun this season. I’ve enjoyed the games to date. The biggest positive is they seem very mentally strong. They were down eight at half to South Dakota State and came back to win. They went on a run to get a ten point lead on Dayton then weathered a couple of runs. They are very physical and have really taken teams away from their strengths. However MSU still has a long SEC season ahead. As I stated in an earlier post MSU is small across the board.
Just saw the Michigan score. Looked at the stats. As expected MSST got beat on the boards but I was surprised we scored less than 50 points and lost the assist battle. Hope Coach Novak can motivate them to use the loss as a learning tool and the players do not lose the desire they showed in previous games.

Reaction Score
Just saw the Michigan score. Looked at the stats. As expected MSST got beat on the boards but I was surprised we scored less than 50 points and lost the assist battle. Hope Coach Novak can motivate them to use the loss as a learning tool and the players do not lose the desire they showed in previous games.
I posted my analysis on another thread. I guess it is more appropriate here. I’m not overly concerned regarding the players’ attitude. R Jackson posted the tweet below.

Reaction Score
Michigan is a good team, y’all will grow from it! Y’all look so much better than last year so far

Reaction Score
Michigan is a good team, y’all will grow from it! Y’all look so much better than last year so far
Yeah I agree. To her credit Coach McCray-Penson brought in some hard nosed and talented players. It was also my understanding she brought in Coach Novak because of his ability to game plan and make in game adjustments. I’m not sure if we would have had the same results if she was still here but you are correct. Everything looks more organized and just a much better overall product.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom