S. Dak 73-60 W (26)
Arkansas 91-82 W (32)
Purdue 85-49 W (36)
Wash St 68-53 W (50)
Duke 89-46 W (51)
Vandy 93-57 W (54)
Bama 93-78 W (58)
Temple 78-71 W (64)

Feels like for Miss State to win they need to keep South Carolina in the 60s. Their average total vs top 75 is right around 70 points, but taking USF out is is 68 points. It would be a little surprising if Miss State had its best scoring day vs South Carolina in Columbia.

Maryland, Washington State, and Indiana have managed to hold South Carolina scoring down, so there is a blueprint. I think zone is clearly the way to go, though I don't know how much Vic has used that this year. I don't think Vic wants to try and press and run with South Carolina, particularly not in Columbia.

But I can see Miss State winning a deliberate paced half court game. South Carolina has played some ugly offensive games and can be talked into taking bad shots and turning the ball over sometimes.

I don't see why Miss State's size and talent and defense can't duplicate that on the right night. Maybe any night.

All of those games were very early in the season, however.

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
I really do not think South Carolina will lose a conference game. If I remember correctly, Vic abandoned the full court press last year and played some zone. He does that sparingly, so I will be interested to see what his plan is for Monday. Our offense isn't very good at times, so he will have to think outside the box on this one. I predict Jessika Carter will have a long night.
If he doesn't play zone most of the game, Carolina will break 100. Even if he does, they might.

GoDawgs4

MSU and All That Too
Reaction Score
Look for USCe to win this game possibly handily. I think we have the potential to be really good but we are still a work in progress. We have got to improve over several areas in order to beat a top tier team.
We will see what happens Monday night.

Reaction Score
If he doesn't play zone most of the game, Carolina will break 100. Even if he does, they might.

I probably won't watch it because I don't want to see what I think will be an ugly loss. I will check the halftime score to see if it's worth watching.

GoDawgs4

MSU and All That Too
Reaction Score
While I think we lose, I don’t think USCe will break 100 Monday night. Even though our defense has been suspect this year, I think it will be respectable in this game and the Lady Gamecocks will not go wild offensively.

Reaction Score
The only way Vic holds our scoring down, much, is if he plays zone. We will tear their man defense apart, since we are likely better at every position.

I think SC wins Monday but State has some very talented kids and are well coached. It will be a better game than most expect it to be. Not sure why everyone keeps saying SC is going to break a 100. SC will put up a lot of points but I doubt they get to a 100. Lets be real here.

Reaction Score
I probably won't watch it because I don't want to see what I think will be an ugly loss. I will check the halftime score to see if it's worth watching.
I will be watching, win or lose.. However, I do not see a win, South Carolina is too good and we are so inconsistent. I think the post battle between Carter and Boston will be worth watching. I do not see a bad loss unless we panic early.

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
While I think we lose, I don’t think USCe will break 100 Monday night. Even though our defense has been suspect this year, I think it will be respectable in this game and the Lady Gamecocks will not go wild offensively.
I only said the Gamecocks would break 100 if Vic plays man the whole game. We dropped "lady" from our WBB mascot a couple of decades ago.

GoDawgs4

MSU and All That Too
Reaction Score
I only said the Gamecocks would break 100 if Vic plays man the whole game. We dropped "lady" from our WBB mascot a couple of decades ago.

I know , I was just messing with you all!!!

That said, please take it easy on us tomorrow night.

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
I know , I was just messing with you all!!!

That said, please take it easy on us tomorrow night.
I'm sure my dreams of a big victory are just that, and it will be a close one. I'm glad it's a holiday so I can get there early and enjoy a couple of brews and a pretzel before the game.

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score
I would like to see a big South Carolina win by double digits... but Vic is too good of a defensive mind in my opinion. I do think SC will break 80, but State won’t be too far behind. It’ll be a close game throughout in my opinion, but SC will likely never be in real danger of losing.

Stranger things have happened though.

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
Stanford and WVU are the only ranked teams they've played - one on a neutral court and one at home, so I don't think anyone knows how State will play in a hostile environment, yet. Marquette is decent, but the attendance was only 2325, so that doesn't say much.

Reaction Score
Stanford and WVU are the only ranked teams they've played - one on a neutral court and one at home, so I don't think anyone knows how State will play in a hostile environment, yet. Marquette is decent, but the attendance was only 2325, so that doesn't say much.
Coach Schaefer said he loves the atmosphere at South Carolina and was extremely complimentary of Coach Staley and the fan base. Part of it was their knowledge of the game and the other team. He said some guy that is behind the Mississippi State bench was talking about stuff he didn’t realize anybody knew about him.
He also coached T Harris this summer and was her specific coach during tryouts. He said having her running the point and M Herbert Harrigan at the four has helped keep things steady with the new players.
Unless you were being a little tongue in cheek or simply saying it would be high scoring and not literal, I would be surprised if South Carolina scored 100 even if Mississippi State played man the whole game. If I remember correctly South Carolina has only broken the century mark twice this year.
I think South Carolina is playing better right now and realistically I think they will win. My biggest concern is when South Carolina goes on a run and the crowd is going nuts will this team be able to focus through that. J Holmes did a good job last season of keeping things under control at the game in Columbia. Nobody has demonstrated that ability yet this season. Overall I’m excited about the game and thinks it’s great for the sport.

Reaction Score

This team is still a bit of a mystery to me for this reason.

Reaction Score
South Carolina has a tricky let down opportunity at Athens on Sunday. Then a layup at Ole Miss before running the Tennessee, at Arkansas, UCONN gauntlet.

Looks like Miss State is at Vandy, which I suppose could be tricky. Then a couple of weeks of layup before Tennessee, at Kentucky and TAMU.

Reaction Score
Hats off to the South Carolina fan base! Official attendance was over 13,000. That is the type of game that brings out the fans and South Carolina, as usual, came out in force. I love it, wish the results had been different but it was One Hell Of A Game!

Reaction Score
I would like to see a big South Carolina win by double digits... but Vic is too good of a defensive mind in my opinion. I do think SC will break 80, but State won’t be too far behind. It’ll be a close game throughout in my opinion, but SC will likely never be in real danger of losing.

If you had only stopped after "opinion"...

GoDawgs4

MSU and All That Too
Reaction Score
UGA is just not that good so I think S.C. rolls there. State at Vandy IMO will be problematic. If we can get by that game then I think we are good to go for awhile.
Difficult loss but there is lot of good things to build from on the State side. As long as we can be in top 16 I think we will be in good shape to make a run later in the season. If we get to play S.C. in the SECT that will be good as well because it will be a road game against hostile fans. Good prep for the NCAA’s. Our girls have got to learn how to overcome all the disadvantages of playing on the road against an elite opponent. It is only the way you gain maturity.

Reaction Score
Looking at the remaining schedule for South Carolina and Mississippi State, USC finishes with two potential difficult games at Kentucky and home versus Texas A&M. The key will be if the freshmen continue their consistent play as the season drags.
Mississippi State has those same teams back to back earlier in the season. After that the schedule gets much much easier. If they can win those two then I guess Mississippi State can always hope South Carolina’s youth causes a hiccup late in the conference season.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom