Season Ticket Sales | Page 7 | The Boneyard

Season Ticket Sales

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I honestly think the conference situation, when it applies to football attendance, is over stated. When the team was winning they'd get near sell outs against the likes of Hofstra and Rhode Island... heck we actually did worse attendance wise against some league opponents than some non-conference dogs. If the team wins more than it losses I bet you'd see 95% capacity for most games... even in this conference.

True, but those games would typically be end of August, first week of September in great weather at night. Even if we start winning I don't see people sitting through freezing temps for most of the teams in this conference.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
If football is downgraded, UConn might as well tear down Gampel and erect temporary bleachers in their brand new state-of-the-art training center. Because in a few years the team will revert to 1970-1986 Basketball. Doesn't seem like an efficient use of that new space to me.

It's been only two years that the Catholic 7 broke off from a major conference. In a few more years, much of the resources will dry up and they will be really no better than the Missouri Valley Conference or West Coast Conference. In 2010 and 2011, Wichita State came in 2nd place in the MVC with 25-10 and 29-7 records respectively. They played in the NIT. Sure, sustaining high level basketball without football can be done, but understand why everyone knows about a Wichita State and/or a Gonzaga. It's because there are so few of them.

UConn can also kiss goodbye any chance at a National Title. The last time a program on either the men's or women's side won a title without their conference also sponsoring Division 1 (or FBS) football was 1985 and 1984 respectively. The last time a program did it was 1999. However UConn was affiliated with the Big East, who did sponsor football. Intercollegiate sports has (d)evolved by leaps and bounds in the last 16 years, let alone 29. Whether basketball is revenue generating or not, an athletic department at a major flagship university needs football.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
If football is downgraded, UConn might as well tear down Gampel and erect temporary bleachers in their brand new state-of-the-art training center. Because in a few years the team will revert to 1970-1986 Basketball. .... The last time a program did it was 1999. However UConn was affiliated with the Big East, who did sponsor football. ...

I'm calling BS here. At that point in time, basketball and football were two different worlds in the Big East. UConn's 1999 men's championship was the ultimate culmination of a successful program. Over a decade in the making. Big East football had nothing to do with it whatsoever.

Husky25

Reaction Score
I'm calling BS here. At that point in time, basketball and football were two different worlds in the Big East. UConn's 1999 men's championship was the ultimate culmination of a successful program. Over a decade in the making. Big East football had nothing to do with it whatsoever.

So from 1986 to 2015, only one program whose school did not also sponsor football won a men's national basketball championship. It had not happened in the 13 seasons prior and has not occurred in the 16 seasons since. Correlation may not be causation, but that can no longer be brushed off as mere coincidence.

You are exactly right. Basketball and football were two different worlds. Now, as far as the network dollars are concerned they are impermeably linked. Especially in an age where the big network money is tied to the sport played primarily on Saturdays vs the one played on Big Monday (But only after the NFL is done) and Super Tuesday.

You can call BS, and I may not have aces full, But odds are that I probably have the spades and you aren't Mike McD (See: Rounders).

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Ticket sales brisk for Nippert reopening, says UC AD
http://www.cincinnati.com/story/spo...--nippert-reopening-uc-ad-bohn-says/31157127/

>>The University of Cincinnati hopes to draw a capacity crowd in the 40,000 range for the grand reopening of Nippert Stadium on Sept. 5, when UC plays Alabama A&M at 7 p.m. (ESPN3)."We have good inventory still available for the opener, but sales are brisk," UC athletic director Mike Bohn said. "Our student season tickets already are at record numbers."<<

I know, I know -- Thursday night, Labor Day weekend, 2-10, FCS school, our stadium is old, , if they start wining, they will come, yada, yada, yada...

It is what it is but I say bad optics for us at this point in time if they put 35K+ in for Alabama A& fluckingM?

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
Ticket sales brisk for Nippert reopening, says UC AD
http://www.cincinnati.com/story/spo...--nippert-reopening-uc-ad-bohn-says/31157127/

>>The University of Cincinnati hopes to draw a capacity crowd in the 40,000 range for the grand reopening of Nippert Stadium on Sept. 5, when UC plays Alabama A&M at 7 p.m. (ESPN3)."We have good inventory still available for the opener, but sales are brisk," UC athletic director Mike Bohn said. "Our student season tickets already are at record numbers."<<

I know, I know -- Thursday night, Labor Day weekend, 2-10, FCS school, our stadium is old, , if they start wining, they will come, yada, yada, yada...

It is what it is but I say bad optics for us at this point in time if they put 35K+ in for Alabama A& fluckingM?
I'm done trying to worry about getting out before Cincy. I think in reality they get out before us and there's nothing we can do about it. The Big 12 will want to expand, Cincy is closer than other schools, and they fit the football bill. If we were talking Memphis or some other school like that, I'd be more up and arms.

(Sorry to take this thread a little off towards the CR tracks.)

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
So from 1986 to 2015, only one program whose school did not also sponsor football won a men's national basketball championship. It had not happened in the 13 seasons prior and has not occurred in the 16 seasons since. Correlation may not be causation, but that can no longer be brushed off as mere coincidence...

In fact, I disagree with your original premise. That "if football is downgraded, UConn might as well tear down Gampel and erect temporary bleachers". Football is the reason the BB team plays in a lousy, no-respect league. Georgetown is being billed as a premiere home game. A team from the league we'd be in if there was no big-time football. Again, football hasn't done basketball any favors. And unless it gets us into a P-5 conference, it never will.

Reaction Score
Maybe if we had 1 fanbase instead of 4 that would help.
Instead of pride in all UConn athletic teams, we have factions. In my business, I regularly interact with some season ticket holders for the women's hoops team. For years they have smugly offered that the Men can't hold a candle to the Women because the women are better shooters percentage wise. They act with disdain when told that the women use a smaller diameter ball which makes it easier to get a basket. To them UConn women's hoops is the be all. end all & the rest of the athletic dept. should just fold. There are similar fans of UConn Men's hoops I'm sure. In the 70's there were those that wanted to shut down the football program & funnel the funds into men's soccer. Folks, it's more than high time to back all UConn athletics & cease & desist with the smarmy holier than thou attitudes toward individual programs. But I digress...

Reaction Score
In fact, I disagree with your original premise. That "if football is downgraded, UConn might as well tear down Gampel and erect temporary bleachers". Football is the reason the BB team plays in a lousy, no-respect league. Georgetown is being billed as a premiere home game. A team from the league we'd be in if there was no big-time football. Again, football hasn't done basketball any favors. And unless it gets us into a P-5 conference, it never will.
I see comments like this here...then I go over to the USCHO hockey boards and read posts from the New Hampshire, Maine, and Vermont fans...it makes me realize that Lew Perkins did us a favor as a UCONN fan base by pushing D-1A football. CR may not have been too nice to us..we all know and understand that. BUT I'll take where we are as opposed to the small time "flagship" state University's that are UNH, Maine and UVM.

Reaction Score
Instead of pride in all UConn athletic teams, we have factions. In my business, I regularly interact with some season ticket holders for the women's hoops team. For years they have smugly offered that the Men can't hold a candle to the Women because the women are better shooters percentage wise. They act with disdain when told that the women use a smaller diameter ball which makes it easier to get a basket. To them UConn women's hoops is the be all. end all & the rest of the athletic dept. should just fold. There are similar fans of UConn Men's hoops I'm sure. In the 70's there were those that wanted to shut down the football program & funnel the funds into men's soccer. Folks, it's more than high time to back all UConn athletics & cease & desist with the smarmy holier than thou attitudes toward individual programs. But I digress...
Coach you can't put it any better than this!

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
I agree fully with most of the very recent above posts and I cannot for the life of me understand the mentality that certain UConn sports teams are beneath the rooting interests of fans of other UConn teams.

It is one F^%&ING university and we are all in this together. Until everyone realizes this we will be attempting to hold off the tides with a sword.

Reaction Score
I get that the teams have no name recognititon - but to the naked eye the level of football is barely discernable from the Big East.
Excellent point Whaler!

Husky25

Reaction Score

Jeff Hathaway is the reason basketball plays in a no-respect conference, not football. Football was coming off a BCS Bowl bid and Hathaway hired former "Coach" Pasqualoni against everyone's better judgment. Football is the only way into a P-5 league. Georgetown has become an also-ran program. They haven't seen the 2nd weekend of the Tournament since 2007. If UConn were in the New Big East, they would become akin to Georgetown and reaching the Elite 8 would garner a parade down Trumbull Street.

Disagree all you want, but if you want to know the truth, Basketball-only fans have not done their sport any favors. Not just by their non-support of football, but their active avoidance of it.

mets1090

Probably returning some video tapes...
Reaction Score
Maybe if we had 1 fanbase instead of 4 that would help.
This is going to be my go to quote about this whole situation from now on. Can't afford to have 4 fanbases at this stage of the game.

BlueandOG

We are not amused.
Reaction Score
my apologies if this thread has been duplicated,but has there been a # on this yet ?
I bought my 2 and am committing to attend every home game. This year is going to be historic. 25 years from now my sons will be getting ready to watch the UConn/Bama Championship game, telling their friends that their dad had season tickets in 2015 when everyone thought Diaco was crazy but things turned around.

Reaction Score
The reason there are factions is pretty simple:
1) there never was a football team to root for, so many "UConn fans" simply don't associate football with UConn
2) basketball, men's and women's, has been enormously successful and prideful for the school and its fan base., Football has largely been an embarrassment on the field and the "Cause" for why UConn plays Tulsa and Tulane and SMU and not GTown, et al
3) women's basketball fans are an island onto themselves for the most part and don't like the men's team or football
4) college football is never ever going to be an important sport in the northeast because the quality sucks, the high school quality sucks, there are no rivalries and the two dominant NFL teams are enormously successful and popular. UConn is the only program that could possibly move the needle and its in purgatory and lost whatever fan base it had
5) fans in the northeast will root for winners and bail on losers faster than other regions. there are so many successful teams to root for that being bad means you are not part of the fabric.

If a miracle were to happen and UConn got into the Big10, then maybe you'd see some interest in the football program. If they got into the ACC, then probably not. The basketball fans would be happy, of course, but fooptball would still be behind the Yankees, Red Sox, Giants, Patriots, UConn men and women in terms of popularity.

31GuardTrap

Bringing back the basics
Reaction Score
I bought my 2 and am committing to attend every home game. This year is going to be historic. 25 years from now my sons will be getting ready to watch the UConn/Bama Championship game, telling their friends that their dad had season tickets in 2015 when everyone thought Diaco was crazy but things turned around.
I disagree on a part of this. UConn won't be playing Bama. They will be playing USC. Bama will irrelevant in 25 yrs.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
The reason there are factions is pretty simple:
1) there never was a football team to root for, so many "UConn fans" simply don't associate football with UConn
2) basketball, men's and women's, has been enormously successful and prideful for the school and its fan base., Football has largely been an embarrassment on the field and the "Cause" for why UConn plays Tulsa and Tulane and SMU and not GTown, et al
3) women's basketball fans are an island onto themselves for the most part and don't like the men's team or football
4) college football is never ever going to be an important sport in the northeast because the quality sucks, the high school quality sucks, there are no rivalries and the two dominant NFL teams are enormously successful and popular. UConn is the only program that could possibly move the needle and its in purgatory and lost whatever fan base it had
5) fans in the northeast will root for winners and bail on losers faster than other regions. there are so many successful teams to root for that being bad means you are not part of the fabric.

If a miracle were to happen and UConn got into the Big10, then maybe you'd see some interest in the football program. If they got into the ACC, then probably not. The basketball fans would be happy, of course, but fooptball would still be behind the Yankees, Red Sox, Giants, Patriots, UConn men and women in terms of popularity.

Let me shorten/fix this for you:

There are a lot of factions because UConn has a lot of 'fans' who are front running s.

The subset of that group that are willfully ignorant of the college sports landscape are the most annoying.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom