Season just may continue. | The Boneyard

Season just may continue.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
Just heard the tail end of the ESPN Gothic show this morning and they interviewed Geno. If someone can find it and post the link that would be great. He sounded like the coaches in the big conferences would like to give the seniors a chance to finish their season.

Here is the link Hour Four: Geno Auriemma and Jay Bilas

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
The discussion will be whether seniors will be allowed to come back next year. The focus seems to be on spring sports, not winter sports. In addition, all classes may be granted an extra year of eligibility if there is no 2020 spring season.

There is no discussion of continuing the 2019-20 season.

P.S. It's the Golic and Wingo Show. Golic not Gothic. ;)

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Geno on Golic show: Discussing impact of NCAA vote today on giving seniors in Spring / Winter sports another year of eligibility. Says his seniors who don’t have pro basketball prospects would probably want to come back, “to delay getting a real job as long as possible.”

Says the NCAA has delayed their vote on allowing a 1-time penalty-free transfer until June. Doesn’t sound like GA is in favor of this. He is disappointed in the delayed vote because that issue is inter-related with the additional-eligibility-for-seniors issue. Said if they pass this in June it would probably take affect NEXT year, not this year.

Last edited:

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
One of the facile and disruptive ideas that will not die. Do roster limits on spring sports expand?

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
The discussion will be whether seniors will be allowed to come back next year. The focus seems to be on spring sports, not winter sports. In addition, all classes may be granted an extra year of eligibility if there is no 2020 spring season.

There is no discussion of continuing the 2019-20 season.

I like Jay Bilas. He's a rational and fair minded individual. I wish he was the commissioner of the NCAA. For those of you that didn't know, Bilas is not only a former player (Duke) and CBB analyst, he's also an Attorney.

During this radio interview, Bilas brings up some interesting and pertinent questions about seniors being allowed to return for another year. Questions that must be taken into consideration if this were to come to fruition.
  1. Seniors must play their 5th year at the school they played this season unless the school gives them a release.
  2. What happens if the school (program) does not want them back? Bilas said you can't make schools take a senior back if they don't want to. I would imagine a release would be in order, and the senior would be free to attend the school of his/her choice.
  3. What happens to freshen/sophomores who were waiting in the wings for the seniors to graduate so that they could step up to the plate from the "on-deck" circle, and take their turn at bat? (either start, or get more playing time). What happens if they are not on board with the concept of seniors coming back, thus being denied more playing time, and forced to come off the bench another year? Would they be allowed to transfer and play right away?
  4. Some programs have given out their full allotment of 15 scholarships. A returning senior's presence on the roster would have to be exempt. There are other unattended consequences that would come up that would have to be dealt with.
  5. Geno said: "Give EVERYONE else an extra year." :eek: [/QUOTE]

Last edited:
Reaction Score
This makes no sense to me. What about players who turned pro early (Walker?, Carter?). What about the transfers (Austin, Bell, etc. ?)

Reaction Score
I like Jay Bilas. He's a rational and fair minded individual. I wish he was the commissioner of the NCAA. For those of you that didn't know, Bilas is not only a former player (Duke) and CBB analyst, he's also an Attorney.

During this radio interview, Bilas brings up some interesting and pertinent questions about seniors being allowed to return for another year. Questions that must be taken into consideration if this were to come to fruition.
  1. Seniors must play their 5th year at the school they played this season unless the school gives them a release.
  2. What happens if the school (program) does not want them back? Bilas said you can't make schools take a senior back if they don't want to. I would imagine a release would be in order, and the senior would be free to attend the school of his/her choice.
  3. What happens to freshen/sophomores who were waiting in the wings for the seniors to graduate so that they could step up to the plate from the "on-deck" circle, and take their turn at bat? (either start, or get more playing time). What happens if they are not on board with the concept of seniors coming back, thus being denied more playing time, and forced to coming off the bench another year? Would they be allowed to transfer and play right away?
  4. Some programs have given out their full allotment of 15 scholarships. A returning senior's presence on the roster would have to be exempt. There are other unattended consequences that will come up that will have to be dealt with.
  5. Geno said: "Give EVERYONE else an extra year." :eek:
[/QUOTE]

The moment he said Gabby was the best player in men or women’s ball, he became one of my favorites

Reaction Score
One of the facile and disruptive ideas that will not die. Do roster limits on spring sports expand?
Yes, and scholarship limits expand.

To me the NCAA text does not limit the extra year of eligibility to spring sports seniors - all spring sports athletes would be eligible to add an extra year, but only the current seniors would be eligible for the NCAA to assist the school financially with extra scholarships, if required, when they came back.

Last edited:

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Yes, and scholarship limits expand.

To me the NCAA text does not limit the extra year of eligibility to spring sports seniors.

That’s what Bilas was talking about—an extra year of eligibility for all in spring sports, freshmen through graduates.

Reaction Score
Reaction Score
The next to last paragraph says:

"Winter sports were not included in the decision. Council members declined to extend eligibility for student-athletes in sports where all or much of their regular seasons were completed."

Reaction Score

3. What happens to freshen/sophomores who were waiting in the wings for the seniors to graduate so that they could step up to the plate from the "on-deck" circle, and take their turn at bat? (either start, or get more playing time). What happens if they are not on board with the concept of seniors coming back, thus being denied more playing time, and forced to come off the bench another year? Would they be allowed to transfer and play right away?
  4. Some programs have given out their full allotment of 15 scholarships. A returning senior's presence on the roster would have to be exempt. There are other unattended consequences that would come up that would have to be dealt with.
  5. Geno said: "Give EVERYONE else an extra year." :eek:
[/QUOTE]

It sounds like Geno may be drinking too much wine. Allowing all seniors to come back is ridiculous.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom