Sean Miller is done | Page 12 | The Boneyard

Sean Miller is done

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score
"Schools identified by Yahoo! as having players who possibly violated NCAA rules include Duke, North Carolina, Texas, Kentucky, Michigan State, USC and Kansas. At least 25 players are linked to impermissible benefits, including Michigan State's Miles Bridges, Alabama's Collin Sexton and Duke's Wendell Carter Jr."

Those are some biiigggg names on this list. (gets popcorn ready) Lets start the show!!!

Kinda sucks for USC...they are an awful program AND get caught cheating?!?

Tommyboy

a lot of people go to college for seven years
Reaction Score
They can fire him for cause and let him take them to court to prove it. That gives them time to drag his name through the mud, bleed him for legal fees, ruin his relationships with the UCONN family, and allow the NCAA investigation to move forward hoping for some way to make it stick. This is hardball but so is his taking our money for ruining our program. If he plays hardball so should we. If he wants to stay part of the family, he negotiates and we part ways on good terms. Nice and clean.

I definitely want him gone and he deserves to be fired. But if this is the method they go through, I would really have to reflect on whether or not I wanted to continue to watch and support the basketball program. He is still family and both parties signed a contract. Like someone said above, no one put a gun to the AD's head. Destroying a family member's reputation to save a few bucks might push me out. Just get it done quietly and let's all move on.

Reaction Score
That might be what they want but it isn’t what they’ll get. If there are indictments and more arrests they’ll happen over the next few months at most.

Wetzel was on the radio with Clay Travis this morning and put the over/under on major college coaches who get fired because of this at 20. He said the FBI has 3,000 hours of recorded conversations from wiretaps and a ton of emails, and there are bound to be plenty of other coaches caught up in this. Said he expects that things will continue to drip out over the next couple years, with a particular rush when the trials take place next year and a lot of the evidence becomes public. Only way he sees it happening differently is if the NCAA enacts rule changes and declares a general amnesty on that basis.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
Wetzel was on the radio with Clay Travis this morning and put the over/under on major college coaches who get fired because of this at 20. He said the FBI has 3,000 hours of recorded conversations from wiretaps and a ton of emails, and there are bound to be plenty of other coaches caught up in this. Said he expects that things will continue to drip out over the next couple years, with a particular rush when the trials take place next year and a lot of the evidence becomes public. Only way he sees it happening differently is if the NCAA enacts rule changes and declares a general amnesty on that basis.

I would be willing to bet the NCAA goes after the coaches and agents that broke their rules, but ultimately since there are so many schools involved, they will let them off scot free so long as they move on from the coaches implicated. Otherwise I just don't see how they could play basketball with half of the P5 programs banned from the tournament.

Reaction Score
I've been spending down time at work going back through old stories of players taking $$ and gifts from agents. There are plenty of cases that we can point back to in history where the NCAA punished the schools involved with sanctions, vacated wins, etc. and it ends there. If the NCAA really wanted to uncover the massive underbelly of the sport, they had justification to do it back with Marcus Camby or even more recently with O.J. Mayo. But they will never be proactive with their investigations, only reactive. It's a "if we don't see it happening, we don't care" game. The FBI comes in with the resources and no stock in the NCAA, ends up following money trails to wherever it goes.

Bottom line, the NCAA will do whatever they can to keep the status quo, too much $$ at stake. Not sure they will come down with the hammer unless there is some push from a stronger entity (i.e. congress)

Reaction Score
I've been spending down time at work going back through old stories of players taking $$ and gifts from agents. There are plenty of cases that we can point back to in history where the NCAA punished the schools involved with sanctions, vacated wins, etc. and it ends there. If the NCAA really wanted to uncover the massive underbelly of the sport, they had justification to do it back with Marcus Camby or even more recently with O.J. Mayo. But they will never be proactive with their investigations, only reactive. It's a "if we don't see it happening, we don't care" game. The FBI comes in with the resources and no stock in the NCAA, ends up following money trails to wherever it goes.

Bottom line, the NCAA will do whatever they can to keep the status quo, too much $$ at stake. Not sure they will come down with the hammer unless there is some push from a stronger entity (i.e. congress)

I don't mean to defend the NCAA, but they don't exactly have the same powers to investigate that the FBI does. They can't subpoena anyone, they can't get warrants to search anyone's offices.

This is just further proof the entire college athletics model is a nonsensical anachronism that should probably just go away. Nowhere else in the world do they train young athletes this way, nowhere else in the world are university students made to subsidize the athletic careers of a small number of peers, nowhere else are young athletes unable to sign professional contracts. After becoming a soccer fan (mostly out of disgust with conference realignment), and really seeing how they do it with youth academies that are run by professional teams makes NCAA sports look idiotic by comparison. The incentives are ridiculous and the whole thing has become a clown show. I don't know how much longer I will stay interested.

Reaction Score
If the NBA doesn’t want kids out of HS, why not let them go straight to the G League? Make it a mandatory 1 year stay. Teams that draft these kids know they won’t see the roster in first year. Their rookie deals can start in year 2. The one and done has killed college basketball dead. I can’t remember a time when I’ve become so distant from the sport. It ain’t all because UConn sucks.

Reaction Score
If the NBA doesn’t want kids out of HS, why not let them go straight to the G League? Make it a mandatory 1 year stay. Teams that draft these kids know they won’t see the roster in first year. Their rookie deals can start in year 2. The one and done has killed college basketball dead. I can’t remember a time when I’ve become so distant from the sport. It ain’t all because UConn sucks.
The problem there is that the kids that can actually play at that level out of high school will most likely get paid more to attend Arizona for a year. It's a business and money talks. The elite kid doesn't care about school or attending class. The athletic department, boosters, and coaches don't really care about these kids education. It's time for the NCAA to stop pretending these kids are students.

Reaction Score
I don't mean to defend the NCAA, but they don't exactly have the same powers to investigate that the FBI does. They can't subpoena anyone, they can't get warrants to search anyone's offices.

This is just further proof the entire college athletics model is a nonsensical anachronism that should probably just go away. Nowhere else in the world do they train young athletes this way, nowhere else in the world are university students made to subsidize the athletic careers of a small number of peers, nowhere else are young athletes unable to sign professional contracts. After becoming a soccer fan (mostly out of disgust with conference realignment), and really seeing how they do it with youth academies that are run by professional teams makes NCAA sports look idiotic by comparison. The incentives are ridiculous and the whole thing has become a clown show. I don't know how much longer I will stay interested.

Complete agree - I stated as such in previous posts, and noted that the FBI comes in with resources (and no stock in the NCAA to care about if it falls). But regardless of the NCAA reach, my overall point is the NCAA has treated past cases as isolated incidents, when they (and everyone on the planet) know the same kind of behavior is all over college sports. If they truly wanted this kind of behavior out of the sport more than they wanted to keep the money flowing, there were opportunities and justification to go down the rabbit hole. What that says about them involved in the current mess - they will do whatever they can to keep the status quo, and stir up as little change as possible.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Why would a NCAA general interesting amnesty make a difference one way or the other? The FBI isnt prosecuting NCAA rules, there prosecuting crimes.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom