Scouting Report Breanna Stewart | The Boneyard

Scouting Report Breanna Stewart

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Wbb: very interesting article and a different format which adds to the interest and value. Also, if you scroll down below the article to a headline on New Mexico (think Aldous Huxley) women's basketball and their captain Walker, you'll see another benchmark for our own brave new society. Senior allegedly throws knife at boyfriend. Coach Sanchez, in an apparent attempt to weave some new threads of order and responsibility to our social fabric, assures us that the offender will be suspended at least for the next exhibition game. The captain purportedly missed with her shot by the way. Am wondering if the consequences would have been a bit less harsh if she hadn't missed?? Maybe like first half of the next exhibition game.

ChicagoGG

Windy City Kitty
Reaction Score
Nice to know that Kevin Durant appreciates Stewie, too!

Reaction Score
Stewie is Stewie there's a very slim chance you're going to stop her. Personally, I think the best chance of beating Uconn is containing KML outside shooting. She's the glue to the team.

Reaction Score
One of my all-time favorite plays by a UConn Husky in any sport. I still get a thrill every time I watch it.

Me too. IMO, that absolutely cemented her many 2013-2014 NPOY awards.

Reaction Score
One of my all-time favorite plays by a UConn Husky in any sport. I still get a thrill every time I watch it.
Ditto. Ditto. Ditto!

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
After scouting Stewie, there is clearly one tactic an opposing team would employ to stop her:

images

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Eh..... I don't know. Maybe someone should ask opposing players like Betnijah Laney.....

The block was super...BUT notice that as the team picked Stewie up and they walked away as a group it was all: Ain't no big thing! Back to business. Very, very cool. Like : "Yeah, we got plenty more of that waiting for you."

Reaction Score
Stewie is Stewie there's a very slim chance you're going to stop her. Personally, I think the best chance of beating Uconn is containing KML outside shooting. She's the glue to the team.
and after you contain KML's outside shooting, your best shot at winning is to keep MoJet out of the lane, and somehow get a shot in over Kiah, and after that, keep Morgan off the boards and out of the scorebook...and...and...well, you get my point...

Reaction Score
The block was super...BUT notice that as the team picked Stewie up and they walked away as a group it was all: Ain't no big thing! Back to business. Very, very cool. Like : "Yeah, we got plenty more of that waiting for you."
That was Breanna doing what she really does best of all...lead...

HGN

Reaction Score
Great scouting report.........and accurate on all points from where I sit. As pointed out in the report , Stewie's weakness is she doesn't pass for assist as much as she could. But she's never had to. And I think that's about to change. She may do more of it this year because more teams will double her and not play her like they have been because she is such a key to the Huskies.

As Geno pointed out , if Stewie improves her ball-handling there may be no stopping her. If she starts putting the ball on the floor and driving around defenders , she does become unstoppable. And that's unstoppable from anywhere on the floor , playing any position on offense.

A Dream of a player for the Huskies , and a Nightmare for any opponent.

Reaction Score
and after you contain KML's outside shooting, your best shot at winning is to keep MoJet out of the lane, and somehow get a shot in over Kiah, and after that, keep Morgan off the boards and out of the scorebook...and...and...well, you get my point...
And exactly how many players on the court will you need to do this? :D

45 TO GO

Reaction Score
Nothing more was needed after you said MoJet lol. One of the quickest guards I've seen in my generation

Gate81

'Gate Grad Likes Cardinal & UConn Best
Reaction Score
Undoubtedly that sealed the deal for Stewart. No one else in college basketball could do that (and this is coming from someone who watched Chiney O at Stanford for four years).

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Great scouting report....and accurate on all points from where I sit. As pointed out in the report , Stewie's weakness is she doesn't pass for assist as much as she could. But she's never had to. And I think that's about to change. She may do more of it this year because more teams will double her and not play her like they have been because she is such a key to the Huskies.

As Geno pointed out , if Stewie improves her ball-handling there may be no stopping her. If she starts putting the ball on the floor and driving around defenders , she does become unstoppable. And that's unstoppable from anywhere on the floor , playing any position on offense.

A Dream of a player for the Huskies , and a Nightmare for any opponent.
The problem with double teaming Stewart is that she spends only a fraction of her time down low and double teaming a player anywhere else is almost impossible to accomplish if they keep moving. You can send a second person towards them when they get the ball, but you cannot keep two people on them. And with a perimeter player, the second person almost never arrives in time because most are catch and shoot scorers and the distance to get to them is too great.

Reaction Score
The problem with double teaming Stewart is that she spends only a fraction of her time down low and double teaming a player anywhere else is almost impossible to accomplish if they keep moving. You can send a second person towards them when they get the ball, but you cannot keep two people on them. And with a perimeter player, the second person almost never arrives in time because most are catch and shoot scorers and the distance to get to them is too great.

And with the number of players we have who can hurt you from 3 land, doubling Stewie down low is very risky. This team will make more 3's than any before it.

Reaction Score
And with the number of players we have who can hurt you from 3 land, doubling Stewie down low is very risky. This team will make more 3's than any before it.

It will be very interesting to see how Geno utilizes Stewie without Stef to direct traffic in the offensive zone.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
How do you guard Stewie down low? Answer with another big or two. How do you guard Stewie on the perimeter and chase her around. No big can keep up with her, so your looking at a guard. Cant match her height. Then when she drives towards the basket bigs come out to guard her. That opens up a lot of options. Cant be done. Now she is the NPOY. KML imo is second to Stewie as POY. So tell me if healthy how does UConn lose????? Aint happein folks.

Reaction Score
Eh..... I don't know. Maybe someone should ask opposing players like Betnijah Laney.....

Love the high five for the team mate who originally fell and lost the ball. Another UCONN Womans I got your back moment!

Reaction Score
I remember a similar play by Mya Moore at De Paul. It was 2 point game with seconds to go and De Paul player got the ball on a rebound, raced to their basket and Moore came out of nowhere to block the shot right under their basket.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
uconnell said:
I remember a similar play by Mya Moore at De Paul. It was 2 point game with seconds to go and De Paul player got the ball on a rebound, raced to their basket and Moore came out of nowhere to block the shot right under their basket.

Not exactly, but close. Maya turned on the jets and stole the ball from the DePaul player and immediately called a time out. This was with perhaps five seconds left.

Geno then drew up a play to have Ketia Swanier drive end to end and attempt a layup, with Maya spotting up in the corner to hold a defender. Ketia made the game-winning layup.

Two weeks later at the Big East tournament, UConn beat DePaul again, this time by about 25 points.

Biff

Mega Monster Moderator
Reaction Score
Not exactly, but close. Maya turned on the jets and stole the ball from the DePaul player and immediately called a time out. This was with perhaps five seconds left.

Geno then drew up a play to have Ketia Swanier drive end to end and attempt a layup, with Maya spotting up in the corner to hold a defender. Ketia made the game-winning layup.

Two weeks later at the Big East tournament, UConn beat DePaul again, this time by about 25 points.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom