Scouting Notre Dame and UConn: | The Boneyard

Scouting Notre Dame and UConn:

Reaction Score
Keys to Victory for Each Team
by Calvin Wetzel
Medium - Her Hoop Stats

One of the most storied rivalries in all of college basketball is set to renew on Sunday as Notre Dame head coach Muffet McGraw takes her young Fighting Irish to Storrs, CT to battle Geno Auriemma’s fourth-ranked UConn Huskies. The 2019–20 edition of UConn is unbeaten yet somehow under the radar, while this season’s Notre Dame squad is struggling to stay above .500 after losing nearly all of its scoring from a year ago. Nonetheless, toss the records out the window for the 51st meeting between these blue bloods — this matchup is annual appointment television.

Here are a few things to watch for in one of the most anticipated games of the week:

UConn Keys
1. Ball movement
When facing McGraw’s 2–3 defense, passing is always paramount. According to Synergy, UConn has faced a zone on just...
2. Experience
The Irish are greener than Ireland on St. Patrick’s Day — the numbers on Notre Dame’s youth are...

Notre Dame Keys
1. Sam Brunelle’s shot
McGraw recruited Sam Brunelle to be a shooter. Brunelle, winner of last year’s McDonald’s All-American three-point contest, might...
2. Shading Nelson-Ododa
Nelson-Ododa is developing into a two-way superstar after playing with a roster full of...
3. Making reads
Because McGraw runs a motion offense, a lot of its success depends on how...

Read the expansive article with video breakdowns HERE

Last edited:

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Great stuff! Here's some ESPN hype on Destinee Walker...

Apparently, Hays things ND is 5-4 (not 5-5) which is weird since the article came out on Dec 6 and ND lost on Dec 4

Reaction Score
Apparently, Hays things ND is 5-4 (not 5-5) which is weird since the article came out on Dec 6 and ND lost on Dec 4
I believe the original article was actually published on the 3rd.

Shorty Dee

Number 1 UConn fan
Reaction Score
I love it!! Thanks for sharing!! I am sitting here thinking about what Coach Tonya Cardoza said about UConn after their game.....:she didn't think they would be that good." It's not pretty, but it's gritty!!!

Reaction Score
If UConn can consistently make open jump shots from the perimeter they will be fine. It is tough to get the ball inside against ND's zone, UConn will have to make shots in order to loosen them up. If UConn struggles from the perimeter this could be a very tough game.

Reaction Score
If UConn can consistently make open jump shots from the perimeter they will be fine. It is tough to get the ball inside against ND's zone, UConn will have to make shots in order to loosen them up. If UConn struggles from the perimeter this could be a very tough game.
ND is a poor rebounding team (South Dakota State outrebounded ND 53-25). Playing a zone makes it that much harder to rebound.
I contend that even if UConn doesn't shoot a high percentage from outside, they'll still be able to score off of offensive rebounding.
ND's only hope is to shoot out of their minds, especially from 3, and for UConn to be as cold shooting the ball as winter weather is in Storrs.
Possible but EXTREMELY unlikely.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I'd like to see double-digit rebounding from Liv, Meg, and Aubrey today.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom