Scouting Georgetown | The Boneyard

Scouting Georgetown

Reaction Score
Just starting this up, and my facts are slim. I know Qudus Wahab, our xrecruit is playing fairly well. Has anyone seen them play, and how do we matchup?

Reaction Score
Haven't seen them play, but from the numbers it looks like we will have an interesting game. In addition to sophomore Wahab, they have two seniors, Blair 6,4" guard, and Picket 6'9" F/G who were both on the Big East all freshman team. Both of those guys can shoot the three, and Georgetown shoots 35.8% from behind the arc as a team. They are #54 nationally in number of 3's made per game with 8.8, and indeed their most impressive victory's against Seton Hall and Creighton came on the backs of the three (10/16 against Hall and 10/21 against Creighton).

They play at a faster pace than UConn, and turn the ball over a lot (#312 nationally w/15.9 per game). They are big, and surprise, surprise, a Patrick Ewing team values rebounding. They are ranked 29 nationally in rebounding margin. Should be interesting to watch under the boards as UConn is ranked 18 nationally in offensive boards and Georgetown is ranked 8th in Defensive boards.

Reaction Score
They're a big team, this is one of the teams I think starting Whaley and Sanogo isn't a complete detriment. Sanogo on Wahab and Whaley on Pickett should be fine.

They're also a fast team and they turn over the ball a lot, I'd expect a lot of Bouknight and Jackson baskets in transition

Marat

The Champ Is Here.
Reaction Score
They're a big team, this is one of the teams I think starting Whaley and Sanogo isn't a complete detriment. Sanogo on Wahab and Whaley on Pickett should be fine.

They're also a fast team and they turn over the ball a lot, I'd expect a lot of Bouknight and Jackson baskets in transition

Yep. We can also expect Carlton to play some minutes in this one. His size, rebounding and fouls will be important.

Reaction Score
They are playing very well as of late. Wahab is a player and will make our guys work hard in the paint. They are physical and fast, Pickett can score the ball and Balir will be a tough matchup. I expect Ewing saw what Nova was successful with and we will see some people getting backed in again. Hopefully we have a defense ready to double on these situations rather than leave our guards alone to defend.

Huge huge game but despite their record this team is playing very well coming in.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
Yep. We can also expect Carlton to play some minutes in this one. His size, rebounding and fouls will be important.

Especially rebounding. It feels like lately we're not rebounding nearly as well as we were earlier in the year.

Reaction Score
They only go 7 deep and turn the ball over A LOT. We need to pressure and run, run, run.

Pretty sure their starting lineup is 6'4, 6'5, 6'7, 6'9, 6'11. Our normal advantage on the boards may not be as drastic... This is one game that

They generate VERY few turnovers--only 5.6 steals per game.

They seem like a middling team from 3 point land from what I remember in the couple games I've watched.

I think Sanogo and Whaley can handle Wahab pretty well. Jahvon Blair is pretty tough though because we should have Jackson and Bouk guard him as much as possible, but if they're covering him, one of Gaff or Cole is going to be stuck guarding a 6'7 guy in the half court.

Reaction Score
They only go 7 deep and turn the ball over A LOT. We need to pressure and run, run, run.

Pretty sure their starting lineup is 6'4, 6'5, 6'7, 6'9, 6'11. Our normal advantage on the boards may not be as drastic... This is one game that

They seem like a middling team from 3 point land from what I remember in the couple games I've watched.

I think Sanogo and Whaley can handle Wahab pretty well. Jahvon Blair is pretty tough though because we should have Jackson and Bouk guard him as much as possible, but if they're covering him, one of Gaff or Cole is going to be stuck guarding a 6'7 guy in the half court.
16 turnovers a game is a lot. We need to wear them down as @husky429 is right. They only go about 7 deep. Blair (their PG) played 39 minutes against Seton Hall the other day. Wear them down.

Reaction Score
We need to turn them over. Key to the game IMO.
Georgetown gets turnovers on 22.4% of their offensive possessions. Only 32 teams in D1 are worse.

Defensively, we matchup perfectly:
  • Sanogo/Carlton gets 6'11 237 Wahab (who plays 70% of minutes)
  • Whaley gets 6'9 206 Pickett (who plays 81%) of minutes
  • Jackson/Martin gets 6'7 195 Bile (who plays 71% of minutes)
  • Bouk gets 6'4 190 Blair (who plays 92% of minutes)
  • Cole/Gaffney gets 6'0 170 Harris (who plays 87% of minutes).

Reaction Score
They don’t play very well imo, they force a lot and take a bunch of tough shots so we shouldn’t let them beat us off the dribble. Keep them on the perimeter and they’ll hoist up a prayer. They aren’t a bad team though, we’ll need to bring it.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
What time is the game? What TV situation?

Reaction Score
Georgetown gets turnovers on 22.4% of their offensive possessions. Only 32 teams in D1 are worse.

Defensively, we matchup perfectly:
  • Sanogo/Carlton gets 6'11 237 Wahab (who plays 70% of minutes)
  • Whaley gets 6'9 206 Pickett (who plays 81%) of minutes
  • Jackson/Martin gets 6'7 195 Bile (who plays 71% of minutes)
  • Bouk gets 6'4 190 Blair (who plays 92% of minutes)
  • Cole/Gaffney gets 6'0 170 Harris (who plays 87% of minutes).
Looks like our depth can be effective esp. if we can get them in early foul trouble. Expecting a W to begin our run to the BET. 4-0 is doable. No less than 3-1

Reaction Score
G'Town looked pretty good against S Hall.....rebound well & can make some 3's. Not deep, only 6 or 7 players get mins.

No gimmee game but we should win unless they play really well & we play below par.

We play them twice in 12 days so we'll get to know them well as our season likely riding on these games.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I could see Cole or Gaffney having a good game. Just hoping our offense doesn’t go stale and 1 dimensional. Like the Marquette game use Bouk to get other guys open, like a decoy. Space the floor out.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
They shoot the ball better than most would think.
Their inside game can be strong as long as they stay out of foul trouble
Pat Ewing has done a wonderful job keeping this team and program together weathering all the BS he has faced.

Reaction Score
They shoot the ball better than most would think.
Their inside game can be strong as long as they stay out of foul trouble
Pat Ewing has done a wonderful job keeping this team and program together weathering all the BS he has faced.
I was just going to say, they shoot and make a surprisingly large number of 3s considering their reputation as a "big" team.

Have to watch Carey, the shooter off the bench. He can really stroke it. But let Dante Harris shoot as many contested 3s as he wants. Blair takes 8 3's a game, but is an average shooter at that volume.

None of their true 5s shoot it, but they play Pickett at the 5 on rare occasions with other shooters.

Gotta keep Bile and Wahab off the boards (and Ighoefe if he's getting minutes).

Last edited:
Reaction Score

Not a good prospect with Gaff or Cole guarding 6'7" player backing them down. That was a winning plan in the last game. Sure hope we can adjust if this develops because in the Vill game our coaches missed this repeatedly. Our bigs need to double team when that starts to happen and hope to trap more. This does leave us open to a short pass inside but that outcome may be better than what Gillespie did to us.

Reaction Score
Blair takes 8 3's a game, but is an average shooter at that volume.
Blair is a great player that takes way too many tough shots.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom